Should The West boycott the World Cup in Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Joshua Tree, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

If The West had any balls (so to speak) surely they wouldn't turn up in Russia. Putin is a virtual dictator governing what is verging on a rogue state, with interference in Western elections, war by proxy in Syria, assassinations on foreign soil etc. It will lend international credibility to a hostile power. Or perhaps we should all just suck it all up on tv and leave our brains behind, which is probably what the politicians want anyway.

2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

No, what does Putin and Trump have to do with the people they govern? I say pretend they don't exist.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

no comment

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

No I am not a fan of any mass boycotts. If you personally want to boycott that is fine but as a group.....no!

Eric! likes this.
  5. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Well by The West condemning Russia publicly then turning up for a nice game of football because its' citizens enjoy watching it they are effectively guilty of hypocrisy anyway. I agree The West is just as guilty of the same actions though. The politicians are lying to the public either way.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The sole reason the dutch are absent this edition.

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The "West" is just some bureaucrats making a bunch of decisions. One of the decisions is spending 7 trillion dollars of borrowed money on unpopular wars that we're going to have to pay back.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Football makes lots of money and it's deeply important to the people. It's one of those things that will make people forget everything else. Lots of countries would be pissed if they had no chance to compete. Any team playing the Russians though is sure to get shit calls from the Russian ref. They cheat it's just how it is.

9. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Agreed. Especially when people keep the politics OUT of the games. I realize some folks can't help themselves once they realize they have the attention of a large audience. It's what brings us the political grandstanding so popular in the US lately.

I can only imagine how the Romans would have handled this!

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

War by Proxy? Interference in elections? Sounds kind of like what the US via the CIA does everyday.

I think the Russia story is bullshit and a distraction, BTW. It's meant to go nowhere. And it hasn't.

Trump is nothing more than an actor, like all presidents have been. The left could legitimately attack him over REAL issues if they wanted, but the debate is rigged, and the people who run things WANT Trump where he is, so they create fake controversies which further the left vs. right divide in order to keep people mislead to the bigger picture.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    storch likes this.
  11. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Well, technically nobody is.

But just because we don't live in a world where everyone is concerned with everything being fair, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to protect ourselves or retaliate when attacked, and Trump is definitely an attack on the West.

Hypocrisy is actually less offensive than the erosion of western liberal democracy in favor of autocrats and fascism. At the very least, the west doesn't perform illegal surgeries on political enemies, crucify Tibetans, 'disappear' journalists and political opponents, ban homosexuality, etc.

12. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Let me guess... the Illuminati? The Bilderberg group? Soros? Aliens?

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think the ref will be russian when the russian team plays.

14. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

with Russia's war on Religion, it makes it hard to support anything they do.

15. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

No they shouldn’t

The west loves capitalism
    Money

It’s the reason it’s in Russia in the first place

Money talks

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You talk a lot about thinking you are above the system yet have very right wing Fox views in every subject. You are part of the game too.

17. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

"Right wing Fox views"?? LOL! How, exactly??

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im going to say yes because i love to screw up poll statistics by just making random choices

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No.
    Germany is going to pwn all your useless west arseholes, again. So sure, boycott if you're a afraid of losing you sssssuuuuuckers. But don't try and convince me it's over political reasonings. You just Dun wanna lose. :p

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

do we have a sports section here?

i know i seen a boycott section at least once