Should the Vatican be held accountable for the help spread of HIV?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Gravity, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Gravity

Gravity #winning

Since 1930's and then 1968 the catholic church has deemed using contraception and condoms as a sin, this has in deed spread the HIV virus in african countries.

Should the vatican be held accountable for the help spread of HIV & AIDS?

2. Gravity

Gravity #winning

Some info

Also, the Vatican goes further than just saying contraception is a sin, they propagate lies about the effectiveness of condoms in preventing sexually transmitted diseases.
    That is morally reprehensible.

3. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

You can't hold the Vatican accountable for the spread of a disease that is not spread by the Vatican.

Consider. Let's pretend that I say, oral sex is bad, but regular sex is okay. Should I be punished in some way for "supporting the spread of STDs"?

It is an individual that has sex. It is an individual that chooses whether or not to use contraceptive devices. Not the church. The church only says what they think is right and wrong. It would be ridiculous to punish the church for it -- it's the dumb people that don't use contraceptives who are spreading the virus, not the church.

4. r33f3r_m4dn3ss

r33f3r_m4dn3ss Member

well if you are catholic in an african country, after being redirected into another faith after years of tribal faith, and one of the bi-laws of the religion is not using condoms, who else is there to blame.

I mean, if they're going to follow a religion that all these missionaries spread amongst them, describing hell and fire and all that propoganda, the last thing anyone who is blind to the truth wants to do is go against the religion they follow.

Maybe its a plot of the church to get people to spread the disease and kill themselves off. Or maybe not. I will beleive both.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

everyone is responsable for everything they contribute to. the vatican is certainly no exception. no church is anymore sinless then you or i. not that our failings define us either.

i've never understood the need some people seem to have to feel that anything needs to be infallable.

obviously i cannot prove that nothing is nor would i attempt to. but i can observe no requirement for anything to be either.

=^^=
    .../\...