Should the death penalty ever be used?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The_Moroccan_Raccoon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not ever for vengeance,
    but only ever as the ultimate guarantee, of denial of opportunity, to repeat a crime, of such a magnitude,
    as to directly and personally impact in a seriously negative and harmful way, nearly everyone.

2. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Who am I to say who has the right to live or die? I don't think anyone was that right.

3. Hykes

Hykes Members

I don't think it should ever be used, we have executed people who we were certain were guilty, only to then discover new evidence that proves their innocence after it was to late..
    This has happened many times

4. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Should criminals take lives?

5. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Innocent people are found guilty in our very imperfect justice system. For this reason alone the death penalty seems like a bad idea. In fact I remember seeing something where a guy who was on death row was exonerated thanks to new evidence. Imagine if they'd found that evidence after they executed him. Nah the system is too flawed to allow for the ultimate punishment

6. I think it should be used only for those who have been found guilty of the crime of murder and they have all the evidence. An eye for an eye.
    Just my opinion.

7. DrRainbow

The saying goes that 'Capital punishment does not work!' (as well as letting murderers go on taking lives.)

8. DrRainbow

5 years for cold blooded murder is nothing new.

9. Dax

Dax Members

A murderer takes away the victim's basic right ... the right to life. Why then should a convicted killer have that right?

10. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How many convicted people have subsequently been found 'not guilty' and not only released, but received huge compensation from the Government. If the death penalty still existed, you cannot redress the mistakes, which is why the death panalty was scrapped in the first instance.

everything bagel likes this.
  11. Dax

Dax Members

I know all that Vlad and I hear you. But I can't agree with you. How many killers are tried found not guilty? How many muders remain unsolved?

12. DrRainbow

How many convicted people have subsequently been found 'guilty' and not only released, but returned to killing?

13. Vladimir Illich

None !!! - If they're tried and found not guilty, then by definition they are not murderers

14. Dax

Dax Members

So then by definition if they're tried and found guilty they are murderers. That what you saying?

15. Vladimir Illich

That is the fault of the Government, the judiciary and Probation Service.

16. Vladimir Illich

Not what I am saying, but its what the law is saying.

17. Lego Batman

Lego Batman Scissors paper rocks

for crime cases that can not be overturned by evidence otherwise
    the criminal should be put to death quickly

onceburned likes this.
  18. DrRainbow

You have mercy Vladimir. That is a real heart you carry. Didn't you serve in the navy? You have a heroes heart. All of those who question capital punishment may be before their time and what a time it must be where they belong. The rest of us see this and love that idea but when you write something like your quote about someone like Jack the Ripper...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

19. Vladimir Illich

But they never caught 'Jack the Ripper' so the question of guilt or innocence never arose.

20. DrRainbow

Is Peter Sutcliffe the fault of the Government, the judiciary and Probation Service?