Should the army be privatised?

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by ronald Macdonald, Apr 5, 2007.

1. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Tax payers spend Billions of $$$$$$$$$$$ on the armed forces isnt it about time they were privatised and made to earn their keep?
    A bridge needs fixing, call in the army and pay them, a towns kids are getting out of hand, call in the army to supplement the police. Roadworks need doing, call in the army engineers.
    How stupid is it that the army do nothing yet have one of the biggest budgets????

2. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Only when government is abolished from the world can the army be privatized. Because until then, nations will keep attacking other nations, and if there isn't a unified army under consolidated leadership, we probably wouldn't have a chance :(

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

military forces have been private-funded before: think of the tradition of mercenaries.
    A private army would be...Haliburton, no?

4. Airfern1313

Airfern1313 Member

private armies? so the rich can hire personal soldiers and have at each other? no thnx.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

been there, done that and got the Dark Ages.....

6. ippi

ippi Member

If the army would be privatised it would not be in control by the Goverment...

7. tripoli

tripoli Member

Absolutely not.

A privatized army is a mercenary force, e.g. Blackwater Security.

They are little more than extremely well-armed hitmen.

Sadly, what Bushco has done with our military amounts to privatization, only they're sticking us with the bill.

8. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Look these guys sit around all decade waiting for a war, then if one happens they go off and have an adventure, killing a load of people who are less civilised as they steal all their resources and treasures, then they go home when one or other side declares itself the winner.

All I am saying is that the army could substitute as a police force at home when its not abroad, whats wrong with having the army on the street? that means the tax payer gets double the benifit for the same money

9. Aeshura

Aeshura Member

agrees...bad idea, besides, I have a question. Was the police force supposed to fill the spot of "militia"? and If not where are our state forces and why aren't they fighting anymore? Passed a building the other day and some war vet was telling me how they were "supposed" to be "allowed" a militant force for each state, and that their job was to ensure that the federal gov-movement did not attain totalitarian control...discuss?
    <edit<

Though after re-reading i think I see what your saying...why not use the army to do more than carry guns when there's people here who need helping. I'd love to see Mr. camo planting trees, and helping old ladies cross the street. a much better face then we get tough and kill stuff. but then again that's what the fire/police dept. are for...hmm...guess it became to small tasks for the big powerful armada, and then too much trouble for the boys in blue...maybe they'll make a budget for some other group.

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

If the army is privatised, then it will do one thing to make money without adequate sponsors:

Wage war on weaker enemies and steal from them.

At least a government controlled army has to justify its actions.

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There is a time and place for mercenary actions. There is a set price.. A time frame in which the mission will be completed and no connection to any government.
    Mercenary deployment happens more than any of us know about.
    Heres a what if,,, what if a good shooter went into Bagdad and took out Sadam Insane with a good clean shot. Where would we be today ?
    What if .. The bomb planted in the main meeting hall where the nazi party was meeting was denonated and Hitler and generals were killed ? What would the history books look like today ?

12. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Actually it is possible to have the army paid by local government but the state legislature retains control of its use abroad

Local government pays it and state government uses it

13. Neo-hippie

Neo-hippie Member

Oh my goodness No!

this would bring war lords, private armies mean private wars, can you imagine those business fudes being fought out then?
    not to mention that they would deal in some form of customer creation.

scary

14. Aeshura

Aeshura Member

Sadam "Insane" (wtf, he wasn't proven guilty of anything) would also have the resources to hire mercenaries...and america could (and would use them to launch preemptive strikes and not have to worry about blame or public opinion...privitized armies is corporate amerika's wet dream. it's a bad idea. period. No good can come of it. None. got that? think. Donald rumsfield with his own army...

15. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

It already is folks. Wake up what do you think all these private contractors are involved with or why Abu Gharib took place, because our young forces are not controlled by our military any longer they are being ordered around by the folks of Halliburton, Carlyle and Blackwater. They no longer know who to answer to, or whose commands or orders should be followed. So much for minimizing costs....Privatization and deregulation only work when there are the necessary controls and protections in place, just look at the abuses that have taken place in the deregulation and privatization of public utilities. Perhaps you globalists would like us to farm it out to the Chinese...I am sure it would be cheaper.

16. Aeshura

Aeshura Member

of course, since soldiers are citizens too (no matter how hard they try to deny it) they should have the ability to say NO to any war that they do not elieve in, or would not believe in if they weren't indoctrinated into the elief system of our nations armed forces. then of course if they let them think, they'd have a harder time getting a war like he ones were headed for started.

17. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I dont get all this talk of a mercenary force. Suppose there is a bridge needs building yeah and theres no war going on, then send out some army engineers to build the fuckin bridge and then the people who had the bridge built would pay the army for doing it.

If a road needs building, then the whoever owns the road and pays the army for building it

Whats all this shite about mercenaries.

When a war needs fighting the government takes the soldiers sticks em in the warzone and pays them as normal.
    This way instead of having lazyass soldiers lounging around all day using up tax payers money for idly sitting down waiting for a war, they could earn their keep by building roads etc and fixing up other town council poroperties

18. tha pope

tha pope Member

thats not the idea of a privatized army. thats the idea that our rubbernecks are good for something more than shooting and ducking. i aggree, they could do more to help the world insted of kill. i also wish we could use military technology for clean energy. but i doubt the generals want their men picking up trash, or planting trees. thats what us hippies are for.

a private army are mercinaries. people you pay to kill other people. hitmen, yes.

so thats just putting more power into the hands of the rich and wealthy.

great idea, 'eh?

19. Cultural Creative

Cultural Creative Member

I'm not even going to dignify this with an actutal response... just this sentence.

20. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

If armies were privatised, states would cease to exist. States must retain a monopoly of violence within their territory, or there is no state. Iraq is a fine example of a failed state which has lost its monopoly of violence....