Should Scottish universities charge English students tuition fees.

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by McLeodGanja, Aug 21, 2011.

1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I've not decided on that one really, it's complicated. So I thought I would start a poll to see what others think.

A human rights lawyer is challenging the current situation whereby everyone is charged tuition fees at English universities but Scottish students still get some kind of grant if they attend a scottish university, whereas english and welsh and presumably irish students have to pay by getting a loan.

Apparently it's unlawful, argues this lawyer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14607122

It's a yes or no poll. If you don't know then don't vote.

Can we set up voting systems so you can change your mind at a later time?

2. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Can everyone also not vote until we've had a discussion on it and considered all the consequences of either situation.

3. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

^^even though the whole point of this was to help me decide. I can see arguments on both sides for and against, without thinking too much about it yet. If you feel sure either way then vote. Up to you.

4. reb

reb Member

you should not have released the secret cables until you were ready, McLeod. there can be only one.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't see where this would be any different then what we have here in the u.s., where if you go to a university that is in a different state then your residence, you get charged an additional out of state tuition fee.

of course a better situation would be for all education to be completely free to anyone from anywhere in anywhere.

6. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

I don't get it. In-state residents here get lower tuition rates that out-of-staters. What exactly is the problem?