Should NBA players be able to play in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports TV' started by TroyBoyK, Jun 25, 2012.

1. TroyBoyK

TroyBoyK Member

I personally think that they should... Saw this on ESPN.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah. Each nation sends it's best. So should we.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've heard players want to be paid for playing in the Olympics which I don't think they should get any sort of special treatment just because they play in the NBA. There is always a chance of injury and I don't know if that cuts into their off season practices or anything but that's my view on it.

I think NBA players should play in the Olympics though, there's enough quality talent that if a few pre madonnas want to sit it out for not getting money others can fill their roles.

4. TroyBoyK

TroyBoyK Member

The other countries with organized leagues such as European and China leagues allow their players to play. So I think we should too!

5. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

The fuck? Why wouldn't they? Are the not the best players in the US in an Olympic sport?

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

In the old days you had to be an amateur athlete to be in the Olympics which meant you were probably a college student. The pros of the NBA dominate everyone else, it's not really exciting sport. No one expects any one to beat the US, they typical double the score of their opposition and the NBA players themselves do not even try that hard. It's just a scrimmage for them. Europe has better players then they used to, some even make it to the NBA, but to me it's just boring. There is no competition. But many countries dominate at a sport. For example when was the last time anyone beat Brazil in in soccer? It does not happen. Maybe in a few decades the world will catch up to the USA but for now it's not even close to happening.

7. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

u-s-a u-s-a U-S-A U-S-A

8. Poppy Sunshine

Poppy Sunshine atypical hippie Lifetime Supporter

Great question!

Really made me think. My first thought was YES, but now I'm going to have to say NO. Not sure why exactly, and I could change my mind but the NBA is THEIR JOB and it just seems odd for some reason.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Having watched a lot of the olympic basketball I noticed many of the other countries have quality NBA players as well: Spain, Argentina, France, Brazil.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to not have all these players play for their respective countries and the US should be no different, it also would be incredibly boring to watch. Even watching other countries I found watching Tony Parker and France go up against Manu Ginoboli and Argentina incredibly entertaining knowing they are quality NBA players, teammates even in the NBA, but watching something like Tunisa vs. Nigeria or if teams were not allowed to have NBA players would be difficult.

10. r0llinstoned

Then who the fuck would do it? college kids cant because "college would be their job," high school kids cant cuz high school would be "their job", are they just supposed to pull some random joes from the street to play :rolleyes:

11. Poppy Sunshine

College and high school kids don't get paid... There's plenty of talent out there who aren't part of the NBA.

Most of our other Olympic athletes don't get paid. Many of them are students!

12. r0llinstoned

you would be suprised at what college kids get ;)

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think its kind of stupid having the big world sports in the Olympics.

Tennis, Basketball, Soccer

Especially Tennis this time around, they are playing it at Wimbeldon anyway

As for the Basketball, kind of gets old the US team winning it all the time

14. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

^very true.hope Katie Taylor gets gold in the boxing

15. Poppy Sunshine

yeah, you're right about that! as soon as I sent the previous post, I started thinking about the perks that some of them get. even high schools do it!

16. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

Did they not have pros in other countries? It never took off to that level or how did it work, "in the olden days."

I bet some European soccer leagues can take on Brazil.

17. r0llinstoned

usa volleyball is kicking ass and we dont even have a pro volleyball league here. So other countries can do the same for basketball..

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The US barely beat Lithuania today, it was a very exciting game and if it weren't for Lebron James the US very well could've lost.

19. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

How the fuck did I know they would get cocky. 

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't think they got cocky at all, they have some weaknesses that Lithuania exposed and they kind of had an off shooting day. I didnt see any showboating or stuff like that from US at all.