Should Large Hospitals Be Required to Have Psychiatric Wards?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jimbee68, May 21, 2019.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I just came up with this idea, possibly last night in fact. But should large private hospitals be required by law to have psychiatric wards in them?

I live in Michigan. And I like most Michiganders still remember when Governor Engler closed down all the public hospitals in the 1990's. For a while it looked like private hospitals would pick up the slack. Now even those are gone.

My father was hospitalized in 1997. And I have to tell, they are really caring compassionate places. I actually was talking about this very subject with my physician. And he said that there just is no profit in it.

Mental illness is a biological-based brain disease. So I know there aren't any less mentally ill people out there.

I want to share my idea with as many people as possible. And maybe I will when I go back on my PC. In the meantime, what do all of you think of it?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

we do not have a hospital shortage here....our largest one has a full psych unit in its own ….we also have a dedicated hospital for mental health....in Toronto several hospitals have psych units but it doesn't make sense for all of them to have one just like not all of them accept trauma and emergency patients....it is too expensive and treatment becomes minimalized and too spread out

also....you can bet most hospitals still have a section for people they get stuck with...you just never see it

3. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

No way.

I learned back when I was still sick from the psych meds themselves and was having horrific anxiety attacks I learned to avoid the hospitals with a psych ward so if I was admitted I got a regular hospital bed and treated like a human being instead of that psych lock up ordeal.

A hospital with no psych ward will usually just give you the IV Ativan to bring you out of it and send you home.

One time anxiety got out of control and I went to the hospital with a psych ward, it was closest, and I heard them from a distance talking about sending me upstairs so I told them I think I left my stove on and need to get home. They did not want to deal with the hassle of dealing with that. That was a near miss.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Just don't end up in the psych ward in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is my advice.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, why not. A good hospital would treat a bit of everything.

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Luckily..... I Took A Left Turn At "Albuquerque"....... :D

Cheers Glen.