Should inmates be able to vote?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by boguskyle, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

hmm. this is an issue I've never really stopped to consider before.

considering I believe prison should be focused more on rehabilitation than punishment, with the exception of extreme cases in which the prisoner cannot be rehabilitated, then I think that prisoners should be given the right to vote. This would give prisons an opportunity to use the political process as an educational opportunity for inmates. Also, certain issues that come up on the ballot could possibly effect both the prisoner (prison reform, for example) and his/her family, so why should he/she not have be able to voice their opinion on a ballot? And lastly, if inmates have to pay taxes, which I was not aware of, then I believe the old adage "no taxation without representation" should apply here.

One thing I am curious about..how exactly do inmates pay taxes when they are not earning income?

2. SoulVibrations

SoulVibrations celestial viator

I think they get jobs in jail and then have to pay hefty percentages for things like victim assistance funds and room and board on top of state and fed tax, could be wrong since i have never been though.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

They have jobs inside the jail, some jobs can earn an inmate $100.00 in one month, other jobs are like Kitchen and GM, above Idle pay.
    A State inmate in Pennsylvania earns money even when not working, this prevents indigency. Idel pay is about $15.oo a month, this will be added to the books the inmate can buy what he wants. If they goes to the doctor then a few dollars will be taken from idle pay,.. Only 10% of the $15.oo is taken out shouldt they be forced to pay court costs. Cost are up the judge..

inmates may open bank accounts, but the books have to be supervised. You may make as much money as you want really if you didnt spend money on things inside. you could have a sizable amount of money when being released. A wise inmate would use this strategy to better themselves when being released after 10-15-20 yrs..

I worked in many many prisons in Pennsylvania, I bet Ive been in more state prisons than the inmates themselves cause they only get the chance to visit one or two jails - then a prison becomes your home jail.. Should you be released from across the state on parole , Violate parole. You will be shipped all the way back across. ( crazy waste of fuel if you ask me...

So with that being said ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STATE..
    you would be housed outside your voting district..
    State prisons cant keep up with local elections this would be asinine..

How is an inmate housed in Philadelphia going to vote for mayor of the city of Pittsburgh >. Whether inmates home residence is Pittsburgh they are housed in Philly, or SCI Albion which is located in Lake Erie...
    Im using practical analogy cause these are real places..

County jails are much different and I dont know what they can and cant do county to county here...
    Our jail in Allegheny co, can not house anyone over 5yrs, and usually I think but im not certain 1 to 3s can be sent upstate.. Someone that has been through the system already would rather go to state prison- much more open space and freedom. A state prison is a fun camp , a county jail is a dayroom with no yard.

my job was a shop supervisor, the electrical shop... I had between 3 and 8 inmates to take around the jail, on the roof, in the basement, outside the gate and some of these inmates can drive cars, tractors, gator atvs, handle power tools, that can be weapons in seconds... They are not there to get a new case, they are there to learn, get a skill before release.
    I left working inside the jails, due to abuse and cruel punishment I had witnessed...

one incident that was the most intolerable, involved a magnetic door lock.. in all the years I serviced them. when in lock there is pin. The guard must release it from the panel. at this time the inmate was kicking on door while laying on the floor. The door popped open and the inmate was free to run around the housing area. This allowed the guards to "suit up" for no reason cause he would of went back in on his own given such command was never given.
    i was called to inspect the door, it which I needed to fill out a form on a part that is defective that may jeopardize the rest the inmate pop and the staff... This part did not malfunction is was released by a guard that wanted to pummel the inmate for no reason, I was not going to lie on a form that would require more inspections of cell doors. This guard was a young kid in his 20's.. I wasnt really much older at the time. but was not going to work in an environment like that any longer..

4. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

Are you a U.S. citizen whether you are in jail or not?

This should be a no brainer.

You are still a citizen of the United States.

You Remember the Constitution, Right?

Oh yeah.

That Constitution.

The Constitution of the United States of America.

That one.

It gives all people born in this county, the Unalienable Right to Vote.

Grow a brain.

Period.

Shame on you people. Brainwashed Sheep.

5. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i voted yes, indefinitely

convicted criminals voting for un-convicted criminals

makes perfect sense

perhaps the civic duties will be an aid in rehabilitation as well

not to mention the number of inmates who didn't actually do what they're serving time for . . .

6. Scorpio Kenny

Well put. Hurrah.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

that's fair enough, so long as you're going to allow a man who raped a 10 year old girl too.

I don't agree with giving criminals any privileges.

8. The Imaginary Being

Yeah, they are citizens. Speaking pedantically

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship#Responsibilities_or_duties_of_citizenship

these are your responsibilities of citizenship. They should be entitled when they are out of jail, but not whilst detained. It mocks the idea of justice.

This is another thread on the boards currently:

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=417104&f=614

Can we call this exercising their human right???? America has nuclear bombs. If national security is at risk human rights can become flexible, surely? I don't like the idea of soft politics being given to murderers, rapists and pedophiles.

9. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

apart from the fact that he'll probably vote republican, i have no problem with it

10. The Imaginary Being

lol duly noted

11. Scorpio Kenny

The Imaginary Being
    THREAD DESTROYER

That says it all. Your only reason for your existence in these forums is to screw up everything.
    You have completely discredited yourself and invalidated anything that you might care to say to anyone on any thread. Who would listen to you? You are obviously only here to argue and to screw with people. This instantly gives you no credibility at all.

The Imaginary Being get a life.

I can easily tell simply by your turn of phrase. "…but not whilst detained." that you are from some commonwealth country, and not from the land of the free. LOL. A country with laws stemming from kings and torture dungeons. Archaic??? But of course.

In my country we have rights. Perhaps you don't but we do. Ask a lawyer. Not a Solicitor.

You try to make a point by citing Wikipedia.

Yet you can't be bothered to paste in your link for others to read.
    Question: What are you trying to hide?

I'll paste the quote for you:

The legally enforceable duties of citizenship vary depending on one's country, and may include such items as:[9]
    conscription
    paying taxes
    serving on a jury
    Voting
    obeying the criminal laws enacted by one's government, even while abroad[10]"

Now everyone can see what you were referring to.

It does read: legally enforceable duties of citizenship vary depending on one's country.

There's the key phrase. depending on one's country. In NAZI Germany everything in the world was "legally enforceable duties of citizenship."

It says right there "may include" I know that you can read that.

In My Country:

Conscription — We don't have a draft. You have to register at 18 but we have no draft. Up until the American Civil War we never even had the concept of conscription. Why? Because we rebelled against British impressment of our citizens. That is one of the complaints to the king in the Declaration of Independence.

Paying taxes — Law? Yes. — legally enforceable? Not very. — It is estimated that 5% of the people in the United States either cheat on their taxes or don't pay them at all. Touché.

Serving on a jury — Who doesn't try to get out of that. It's human nature. I cannot legally serve on a jury. Why? I was busted for pot 30 years ago, so I am a convicted felon. Felons cannot serve on juries, here. Free Pass City! So you are incorrect.

Voting — Not required — Something like 48 % of the eligible citizens in my country even bother to register to vote, let alone make it to the poles.
    In Australia you must vote or your government cites you with a hefty fine. Forced voting. What's next? Prison for not voting? Then WHILST you remain in prison you may not vote??? Rational Logic.

You do know that it was an Englishman who said, "The law is an ass".

Obeying the criminal laws enacted by one's government, even while abroad" —
    I my country (America) we don't have hot rods. No one speeds. No one spits on the sidewalk. No one has ever lied to a cop. No one has ever drank alcohol before the legal age. And no one has ever had sex when they where not of the legal age of consent.
    Definitely, no one has ever flown to Amsterdam and smoked hashish.

I think that I am starting to see your imaginary point, Imaginary Being, regarding this imaginary citizen duty concept.

In the land of the free, we have no duties. We are FREE!

And prisoner vote.

12. The Imaginary Being

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jan/05/prisoners-right-to-vote-britain

I am from the U.K, it's in my avatar image.

13. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

wow, kenny you're an asshole. Imaginary Being's opinions and posts are just as important and valuable as yours.

you have "invalidated anything you might care to say" b/c you started your post by insulting another member. nice work.

14. The Imaginary Being

One can only assume he is posting from a cushy jail cell somewhere.

15. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

don't mistake this as me agreeing with you argument though, IB. ;)

16. The Imaginary Being

Does anybody ever? (I read what you wrote the other day) :p

I just worry about what the government would offer a prisoner in return for their vote. I mean it's all abut incentives.

17. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

a prisoner? the government does not offer to individuals, it offers to masses.
    typically, someone would vote the same party throughout their adult life, so why discredit an opinion of an inmate that simply broke a law? we're not talking about clinically insane people, just people that broke a law or two.

democracy is a burden to government, its not entirely about incentive. but there are still lots of finances and shit to back up voting, for example votes for an independent party financially support them too. a libertarian inmate would then be a beneficial part of society. so some people say they shouldnt vote because they arent productive citizens, but by voting, it does make them at least somewhat productive.
    every opinion should attribute to what society's government should do and even people in jail are parts of society.

18. The Imaginary Being

When I was 14 I was beaten to a bloody mess and left on a street corner in the middle of the afternoon.

The guy was 20, drunk and attacked me because I was a skateboarder. He came from over the other side of the street and without question head butted me into the corner edge of a wall behind, and then continued to kick me until a women stopped her car.

I'd rather die than see him have the same rights as me. He did a small amount of time in jail, he can suck my dick.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

I really love how people with no experience in the correctional industry have all the answers..

btw Im talking to you...... @Scorpio Kenny

20. The Imaginary Being

Aside from more personal things, think of it like this

if you want the female vote, offer equal wages or something that could be beneficial to that demographic. Young parents might be swung by the promise to build new school. The list goes on.

So what about inmates? I doubt building schools, cleaning our parks or to rid a country of crime is going to have a massive effect on their voting habit. The question is more what we will offer that demographic.

It's just a little food for thought, is all.

P.S Kyle, I never meant it as one prisoner!