Should I hit The road?! Rubbertramp Style.

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by NeoHippy1372, Feb 4, 2019.

1. NeoHippy1372

NeoHippy1372 Members

Hey guys, Oliver here with a life altering decision I need to make. I'm 24 yrs old and live in Minnesota and want to hit the road again...backpack,tent,guitar etc. I have plenty of previous travels (Cali,florida,denver,wis,az) that have lasted between 1 week and 2 months but the PROBLEM is I have a son who is 2 years old and lives with his mother who is an amazing and great provider however I havent been able to repair our relationship so I have been at odds.
    Also I have been battling addiction here at home and really everytime I leave for a trip i realize how unhealthy my life was at home.

God keeps giving me signs I swear like from every angle I get somebody telling me of how God sends people to the wilderness to get closer to them and I completely agree I have experienced this first hand however I dont want to be that price of shit father who leaves for his own gain.

What are your thoughts? Any experience with this? Advice PLEASE!?

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The information that you have given is purely one sided and simply appears to be your excuse to opt out.
    You need to ask yourself.
    Why did your relationship fail.
    Why are you unhappy with your current accommodation.
    If you are back with your parents. Are you offering any financial support, or are you just using their home as a doss house.
    What are your addictions.? How are they directly linked to your current situation.

If you wander off into the wilderness,
    What will you eat and how will you pay for it.?
    How will you wash yourself and your clothing.?
    How will you keep in touch.?
    How will you log onto HF. :yum::yum::yum:.

The concept of wandering off into the wilderness may sound attractive on the surface, but in reality, you could all too easily turn into an unwashed, unshaven, dropout drifting into a life of petty crime in order to survive.

Today's society is far from perfect, but most alternatives are far worse.
    I imagine that you don't work and lack of financial independence is at the root cause of most of your dissatisfaction's with life.
    No money, little self confidence, little self respect and all day to ponder about it, would drive most people into your rut.

3. NeoHippy1372

NeoHippy1372 Members

Totally see and understand your perspective although yes all was considered

GoingHome likes this.
  4. As long as you are usually there for your kid, where you can be, I don't see how a couple week trip could hurt anything. That's not abandoning your fatherly duties or anything. I just wouldn't string it on months on end, and don't do anything dangerous.

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If things are really getting on top of him, I see no harm in him getting away from it all for a few weeks to collect his thoughts.
    He just has to be careful that it is not the first step in a downhill spiral.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Uphill spirals are so much harder though

7. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Plenty of experience with this. But first: wtf happened to this forum? lol.

"Today's society is far from perfect, but most alternatives are far worse."

On a forum dedicated to hippies and alternative lifestyles. Yes, "fuck your dreams of a better world, it'll just end up worse so...grab a shit-job and start climbing that corporate ladder!" I think that was a slogan from Woodstock, no? What the fuck?

Anyways, there's a few places where people are living truly "off-the-grid"...but you (or I) won't find them online, right? Think about it would you want your Honeycomb Hideout to be swamped with people telling you "today's society is far from perfect, but most alternatives are far worse"? No. Probably not.

As to the rest, holy shit. I was very much in your shoes 15 years ago and was shamed into doing what society (or, everyone around me) said I should do. So, I got married, then hey guess what? Miracle child number two comes because BC pills are just funny like that and now, after sacrificing my youth, the best years of my life, to marry someone who didn't speak English and was/is totally committed to The System and ladder climbing and ugh, just tedious, boring shit, I could go on, my teens are now taking their turns shitting all over me as some 'loser' who never got a college degree and wears funny clothes. Basically, it's like a re-run of Family Ties times 100. My kids have followed their mother into total retardation and belief that more material wealth, $500 of make-up and everything Nike or Adidas will lead to ultimate happiness.

So, the only thing I can say to you, from the bottom of my heart is: RUN. Don't walk. Don't look back. RUN. And, keep fucking running. Honestly, you don't want to end up like me. Waking up every day, happy. Then realizing who you are and where you are and that there's no use now because you're old and the road is hard going and you should've tried all that when you were young. Etc.

RUN, BOY! RUN!!!! Don't listen to these fools telling you to stay!

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Hey you're only 42. You are not old. You can follow your own advice and stay happy all day.