Should I be ashamed for my heavy alcohol use?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Grandeur, Jul 5, 2019.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

Im actually quitting daily alcohol use, just not going to drink a few beers in the evening anymore, save money. tho thats cheep beer. more expensive to drink coca cola. just save some money and use towards some school stuff..

2. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Here are some of the things I've heard people say about alcohol use. It's not how much you drink, it's what it does to you when you do drink. One drink is too many, and ten drinks is not enough. Shame is nonproductive. Concern for yourself is productive. Think about that.

If you get bored, spend the time you would normally spend drinking doing something else. Try cleaning the hell out of your house instead. Make that an addiction. That's a positive addiction. Turn your home into Pleasantville.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. parua

parua Members

Don't be ashamed, we all make promises that can't be guaranteed (to ourselves and others). If you keep trying to figure out why you get into a situation in which you feel shame or wonder if you should feel shame, sooner or later answers will come.

Does life really have to have a meaning in order for us to live it and wonder about it...and be amazed by it?

4. TylerDurden2019

TylerDurden2019 Members

Ashamed no but you should get help

GLENGLEN likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I take it Help is a turkish beer brand?

Orison likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It's perhaps not for me to say...

I will tell you my story. I used to drink to excess. I found that I wasn't happy that way. And even though it was hard, I decided to stop. Now today, I haven't had a drop of alcohol in many years.

I wish you luck! :)

GLENGLEN likes this.
  8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

All that I can say is that members have already given you a lot of good advice on this thread.

I fact that you posted your question shows that you are not happy with the current situation.
    You have already taken the first step, hopefully you will now have the desire and willpower to get out of the rut that you have fallen into.
    I won't be easy.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Life doesn't need to have a meaning, no. But recreational drugs and alcohol certainly help to create one. :D

parua likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

As long as its really recreational and not some kind of escape from what he doesn't have (at this point :)) in life

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

it is usually false pride that comes from the liquor......shame comes with the hang over

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

especially when people tell you what you did last night.

rollingalong likes this.
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Don't feel ashamed. Just realise and come to terms with the fact that you are drinking too much, maybe because of your grief, and look around for other things in your life which can give you meaning, such as friends, family, relationships etc.

15. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Above all else, you should be concerned about your health. Hard drinking kills. This is a clinically proven fact. Keep going long enough, and eventually your internal organs will terminate their contracts with you.

If you wish to quit, you must then understand that you can't do it alone. Alco is physically addictive. It's not a matter of one day just deciding to quit. In the chronic phase, your body will have become physically addicted to the stuff, and your willpower has nothing to do with it anymore. Do you have Alcoholics Anonymous-groups in Turkey? Reach out to them. And definitely go see a doctor. Chronic alcoholism requires medical treatment. And sobering up definitely isn't shameful.

If you manage to quit, remember that it has to be for good. There is no middle ground, no moderation. Even just a taste after quitting a years long bender will run the risk of relapsing to old habits.

Good luck to you.

Grandeur and Driftrue like this.