Should gun safety be taught in schools like sex ed is?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by broony, May 15, 2011.

1. broony

broony Banned

If anything it would help, right? I mean even if a little kid was playing with a little water squirt gun chasing cats or whatever and learned its not ok to point it at your parents or any people for that matter, nothing is wrong with that right?

This video is the best example i know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uytPO0UaDM&feature=feedlik"]YouTube - Clint Smith on Gun Safety

For those of us who do own firearms we know the 4 rules. For those who don't watch the video.

So whats wrong with teaching children some safety even if the firearm is illegal to begin with?

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

no, but it should be mandatory for anyone desiring a license for one

less than half of amerikan households own guns

considerably more than half own genitals

3. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I think it would be a good idea to start teaching kids early on. The right to a gun is a wonderful thing in our society, but the safety of owning or being around weapons should be focused on more than it seems to be...and it should start with children

4. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

Actually it should be taught at home, I learned how to safely and properly handle a gun when i was ten and schools had nothing to do with it.

Before we can discuss anything being taught in school, schools need to be brought back strictly under local control and the Feds run out of education entirely. The whole purpose of Federal run education is to artificially dumb down the population into a compliant mass, so nothing can really be taught with them running things.

This poll needs a "Johnson" option for those of us that don't like any of the choices.

5. darkforest

darkforest Member

It was taught in high school when I went in the 70's. I also learned it from my father when I was about 6 and from summer camp when I was 8.

6. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

sex ed is taught in schools...:rofl:

no how, no way, would i call that mind fucking bullshit "taught" in schools "sex ed."

i would not trust any mainstream school system, to even be able to educate my kids in how to wipe their own assholes.

mate, here in texas, some schools, allow "teachers" and, even jantors to carry handguns in schools and blow away any "trouble maker" kids.
    so far, no kids have been shot and/or killed by one of these so called "educators."

if i had kids, i would be scared shitless for their welfare and, education in a shithole of a "school"
    like that!
    :willy_nilly:

how in the hell can anyone get a useful education in an envorment based on fear and pain?
    anyone with even the smallest fraction of sense knows they can't.
    texans have an old west shit for brains mentality when it comes to education.

i don't want my kids anywhere near some gun toating fucktard from school "teaching" them about firearms!
    :mad:

i got one hell of a great education about firearms from the coast guard and navy!
    :2thumbsup:

back in the 1970's, when i was in high school, junior rotc "taught" firearm safety to the male students. being male i was forced to take it... WHAT A CROCK OF BULLSHIT TIME WASTER THAT WAS!

at lest the coast guard and navy knew the difference between shit and shinola.
    manstream schools are soooooooo fuck up, they can't even tell the difference!

7. broony

broony Banned

WHAT? lol.

I know its not funny, but i've never heard that before.

8. blackcat666

where have you been?

dr. phil and oprah did programs on it a couple of years or so back.

now, our idiot governor (rick perry) has a bill on his desk to sign that would make it legal for people to carry handguns on to college campuses!:eek:
    he has sign other firearm bills like this one into law before in the past... odds are damn good he will sign this one too.

here in texas, just about anyone can get a license to carry a concealed handgun.

for the life of me, i have never been able to understand how texans can take such pride for being rate the worst state in the nation in almost every catagory and, then we whine, about how the media portray us as being a bunch of retarted inbread redneck backwood hillbilly hicks.

IT IS JUST SOOOOOOOOOO DEPRESSING AND SICKING!
    :bigcry:

9. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

NO WAY!
    Schools complain about not having the money for art and music programs, but I'd be willing to bet they'd come up with money for shit like that.
    Like this already violence ridden world needs a way to put kids one more step towards shooting each other and the neighbor's pets. CHILDREN should not have guns. A BB gun is pushing it. Kids need to learn to be good citizens and how to care for their fellow man, not how to shoot them without blowing their own foot off or blasting themselves or their buddy in the head.
    I don't care if it's a "teacher" or not, a school should not have guns anywhere on the property, period.
    Around here, I've been told by teachers and parents alike that they are "afraid" of the kids once they reach middle school. Get a grip and be an adult, for crying out loud! Kids started acting like wild animals and stopped having any respect for their fellow humans when the adults stopped teaching them and started fearing them. "Teach your children well"? It starts at home and should continue in the schools.
    GUNS and their handling, shouldn't be in the schools. ROTC was originally a prep for the draft and selective service. Why do we need to make guns part of an already lacking public education? What we'll have is a bunch of illiterate buffoons carrying guns and shooting whatever moves. COLUMBINE??? Except this time, no-one will get grazed.
    The only gun safety kids should need is how to walk away if you see one.
    If you want to go on the "but my kid hunts" tack, why does your CHILD need to hunt? You as the ADULT are the provider for your family. Or, is your tag limit not enough that you need to use your kids' too?

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't think schools should teach gun safety. I don't even know how that could be incorporated into the lesson plan. There is really no reason for gun safety to be required learning for all students. Most people will never own a gun in their life.

I don't see anything wrong with it being taught at after school programs if the focus is more on fun than violence. Don't just emphasize the idea that guns can be used for violence. That would probably further glamorize guns. Give the kids bb guns and let them do target practice. Thats exactly how I learned how to shoot guns, from learning how to shoot bb guns at summer camp.

11. ToarPix

ToarPix Member

It's not like kids don't know bringing weapons to school is bad..
    i think we should just leave everything how it is

12. broony

broony Banned

I can see how this idea sounds crazy from a urban school of 4000 students. Though out in the country with say 400 is different.

I guess it depends on the location of the school itself?

13. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I think if gun safety was introduced to schooling systems, things would be even worse than they already are. Gun "Awareness" might be a better alternative to this approach. If gun "safety" is taught in school (ie-how to use guns and safe guidelines for gun use), I think that kids would know more about guns, furthermore, kids would know how to use guns and at an age that might be inappropriate. Sure, you see an occassional case of children getting ahold of their parents' firearms, but teaching kids about guns, imo, would bring more harm than good. Keep kids away from guns, that's all I have to say about this matter. I see enough hostile actions involving kids with guns in this neighborhood as it is.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
    --Jimi Hendrix

Post-script - I guess in rural areas it could be more understandable. People are hunting and parents teach their kids to hunt in rural areas rather than gun-toting, wanna be gangsters try to act tough in urban-residential areas (intimidation via firearm). I, personally, am not much "for" hunting... but a man's gotta eat, right? lol?

14. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I don't know.

It may depend on the area.

Are there school districts where the majority of people own a gun?

15. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Rick perry is a piece of shit, but he better sign that shit.

And I'm saying that as a non-gun owning college student in texas.

High school students should have the OPTION to take a gun safety segment as part of "health" classes, IMO. NOTHING with guns should be mandatory, of course. And any ROTC or similar programs should be strictly BANNED from any public primary education.

Secondary education is different, as a US citizen if you have the right to own a gun, and you're an adult and forced to live on campus because of bullshit pork barrel laws that texas has, you should at least be able to have your gun that you have the RIGHT to have. I think that bill only applies to those with cc permits anyway.

16. blackcat666

yeah, perry is one sorry ass fuck, hands down.

texas, austin, university of texas, university of texas tower, summer of 1966.

am i the only person, in this whole shithole of a state, that has two brain cells firing in his head?
    :confused:

DON'T ANSWER THAT!

i'm too scared of the answer to that question!
    :willy_nilly:

in my experence, 90% of texans have only half a brain cell firing.
    9% of texans have one whole brain cell firing in their heads.
    :puke:

summer of 1966 at, the university of texas in austin, texas.
    I REMEMBER IT ALL TOO WELL!

BEST GODDAMN EXAMPLE OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FIREARMS ARE BROUGHT ONTO A CAMPUS BY ANYONE AND EVERYONE!

the summer of love never happen in austin (the san francisco of the southwest)... IT WAS THE SUMMER OF BLOODBATH HORROR IN AUSTIN!
    :bigcry:

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

probably every school district in the rural south. For hunting purposes, mostly.

18. Rick OShea

Rick OShea Banned

It's not like children aren't already "exposed" to guns, . . . problem is, for those normally associated with "gun violence" nearly all of that exposure is negative. It is comprised of dramatic portrayals and glorification in TV crime shows, movies, video games and music videos IOW, illegal or at a minimum, irresponsible usage. The first hand exposure they might have "in real life" is seeing either criminals or police armed but unfortunately, in certain neighborhoods the cop is the bad guy.

The thug gun culture is predominant in urban areas where strict gun control on the entire population has been in force for decades. Legal gun ownership and usage is suppressed if not forbidden and usually painted with the same brush as misuse by authorities, trying to denigrate legal use with an anti-social or enabling of criminal behavior connotation.

Studies on youth by the US Dept of Justice (456kb pdf) have shown that being raised in a family where legal "sporting" gun ownership is the environment does have an effect on youth and their criminal propensity:
    "Figure 13 shows a very strong relationship between owning illegal guns and delinquency and drug use. Seventy-four percent of the illegal gunowners commit street crimes, 24 percent commit gun crimes, and 41 percent use drugs. Boys who own legal firearms, however, have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even slightly less delinquent than nonowners of guns.

The socialization into gun ownership is also vastly different for legal and illegal gunowners. Those who own legal guns have fathers who own guns for sport and hunting. On the other hand, those who own illegal guns have friends who own illegal guns and are far more likely to be gang members. For legal gunowners, socialization appears to take place in the family; for illegal gunowners, it appears to take place “on the street.”"​
    [​IMG]

So, for me and my experiences with my Grandfather, my Father and my son and daughter, it isn't so much just "gun education" as it is a development of responsibility, self discipline and adherence to safe practices that are instilled by using firearms as the vehicle, not necessarily the "end."

Do I think a rudimentary education in firearm function and safety would be good?

Yes.

Especially when one inspects the circumstances of so many "accidental" shootings especially in adolescents and young adults. The number of people shot with semi-automatic pistols when the shooter assumes that all one needs to do is drop the "clip" out of it and it is unloaded or safe is heartbreaking . . . Such a simple thing to teach could save lives. Kids will always do stupid things but giving them a basic instruction in an object that if they encounter one it will probably be an unsupervised circumstance, would be a good thing to try.

[​IMG]

19. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

you should all be taught how unnecessary guns really are.

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You guys are right, just don't tell the kids about guns, and let them learn from gangster movies.

Oh wait, we tried that with sex, and drugs, and just about everything else. It didn't work. At all.

You should be able to learn anything you want in school. If you want to learn to grow pot, I think your local high school should teach you in their ag class. I think if you want to learn how to have sex, take drugs, or use guns, your local high school should teach you in their health class. I think if you want to learn how to be a better english speaker or learn statistics, or a musical insturment, the local high school should teach you.

I also think that primary education should be free to all with no restrictions. If you live in a community and think that the high school might still have something to offer, you should be able to go enroll in those classes, if you're 14, 18, or 58.