Should cameras be used to monitor American streets for crime?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by IANABIAP, May 8, 2011.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJNir5cqIAQ"]YouTube - Creepshow (1982) Part 6
    surveillance cameras didnt work out to well for Richard..

Be sure to hold your breath.. [​IMG]

2. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVorYTtfhA"]YouTube - Vandals filmed cutting down CCTV camera pole

This happened couple of days ago in Salford near Manchester - The camera couldn't even prevent it's own destruction.

Also, notice how the lads faces aren't at all visible.

3. white_magic

white_magic Member

This isn't that simple to answer. I said "I don't know", but I probably should have said "yes". IMO, we shouldn't have cameras on the streets in the U.S.A., like they do in U.K. But what's wrong with having cameras in stores? I personally would never shoplift and I don't have a huge problem with business owners trying to protect their inventory.

On the other hand, if the federal or local government wanted to install cameras to protect us from 'sleeper terrorist cells', or something along these lines, I'd be pissed as hell.

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

They already have them, right under (or over) your nose.

My town has "homeland security cameras", and so do lots of other places. I read an article a while ago about them using these cameras to find a guy who threw a snowball at cops and ran off, in new england.

It's all "homeland security" money being handed out to yokel law enforcement to buy riot shields, tanks, heavy weapons, and camera systems.

5. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I really don't think cameras will work in Miami. People are such assholes here they would probably just steal the camera to make money off of it. Also if they person has a mask and is covered from head to toe the camera wouldn't help much now would it?

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you just gave me mental images of a crotchless spandex bodysuit cat burgler lol

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

They don't identify you by your face at the time of the crime, rather by having a dense enough canvass of reasonably concealed cameras that they can watch where you go. If you get into a vehicle, they know who you are or at least, who your friends are, and the vehicle owner could be charged unless the vehicle was stolen. If you go home or to a friends house, they know. If you go into a place of business and use a credit or debit card or use a check, they know. You can't walk around in a ski mask all day, we're not talking about a camera in one place, this is a canvass.

My town has a monitor room in the PD, you can see them behind their super sneaky one way mirror, because the monitors shine through it(and because LEO's here have cheap knockoff one way mirrors.... you can see into the jailers office, where they can be observed to watch house, from the booking area in the jail) and you can see that there's pretty well concealed cameras all over the place in town, where you would NOT normally expect a survelience camera.

8. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

If someone invented an electronic camera killer (low power, directional EMP), I would buy it and mount it concealed in the bed of my truck.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

not to long ago this monster kills this teen girl, leaving her in a dumpster near a school... cameras all around the school didnt catch a thing.. Nor did they aid in capturing the monster..

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm not the man for this of course, but I'm pretty sure some sort of microwave or similar beam could be created that would disable electronics, or that could be targeted to destroy electronics with parts working in certain frequencies or power ranges.

Hell, you could probably just make some sort of heat beam that would fry them without doing anything complex inside. Drive thru town, leave trail of burning cameras, profit :D (sort of like the army's crowd control satellite dishes that create a burning sensation- only with proper heat, and concentraited?)

11. Glowstick

Glowstick member

Rather not live in more of a police state than we sort of do.

12. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

Yeah, I've long ago looked up the info for non-nuclear EMP and vircators, looks pretty simple and straightforward. If I was an electrician I would have built one already. You would need to make sure you only fry the cameras and not the truck.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

At least there'd be no camera to watch your humiliation with a dead ECU :p

A backpack device with a handheld head or beam of whatever type would be great, sort of like a leafblower or powerwasher, but so it could be somewhat disguised. But I'm probably dreaming in the realm of science fiction here.

14. Yodhe

Yodhe Guest

I lived in one of the first place in the world(UK) to get 24hr "community camera surveillance", and let us say, it didn't take long (<1yr) for the state authorities to gather enough evidence on camera to use for conspiracy charges related to "drug dealing".
    On the otherhand it did lessen some of the random act of brutality and violence, though mostly it just shifted crime to areas that didn't have cameras.
    As always it seems to be more effective and economic to deal with the causes of crime than its symptoms, but I guess it depends on what one wishes to achieve.

15. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You've got it all wrong.

If you attack the root causes of crime, you end up with happy, law abiding, safe, productive citizens. As such, you have no societal drama, no dividing lines, no hate, no reasons to send people to prison, no way to keep people scared and doing your bidding, and distracting each other from how you're really fucking EVERYONE over. The whole sector of the economy that depends on leeching off of, while simultaneously controlling the populace, would wither and die, to make room for honest people.

ie. life as we know it would end.

There would be no money for security camera companies(people would take pictures of nice things, and facebook wouldn't use those pictures to make CIA flow charts), no money to put more heavily armed policemen on the streets, mo money for building or staffing the jails and prisons that we depend on to draw people who shouldn't be criminals at all into a criminal underworld.

But this would involve legalizing freedom, and that won't happen. Because drugs and sex are bad, and god commands that we use government to whip everyone else into our own little puritan model of what they should be.

It's obviously much better to put cameras on every corner, using the tax dollars of the very drug dealers and free thinkers we're hunting. Good for the economy :2thumbsup: (and even better when they get jumped into a prison gang, kill someone, and become part of the incarcerated class that YOUR tax dollars pay to keep behind bars. But they obviously deserved having to join a gang and kill to avoid rape at the other enemies hands, because they did something wrong with drugs. mob justice ftw, just not out here where it affects good suburban drones)

So while it might appear more effective and economic to attack the root causes of crime, you have to think exactly who's point of view it appears that way from, and who might be hurt by that.

Love and black power;
    roor

16. Yodhe

Yodhe Guest

You wrote so eloquently, what I put in such brevity.

Here's to the Utopia we can all share and co-create. :D

17. The Real Dr.Gonzo

The Real Dr.Gonzo Member

Fuckin government another 50 years it will be like the soviet union here ill be 87 and poopin my pants

18. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

I don't think they had cameras in the USSR, did they?

19. Yodhe

Yodhe Guest

20. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

And the home of the slaves...

God bless Americorp.

[​IMG]