Should Assisted Suicide be Legalized?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Psychopath, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

America's mental health or aka: pshyc.wards are the worst places in the world. The system does not work at all. It's a catch 22 because if you are dumb enough to admit any kind of suicidal thoughts or of hurting others they take away every right you have "civil and constitutional". They forcefully dope you up and in some cases throw away the key. Its all about money since most these people do not have funds to see a Dr.so the facility gets paid big $$, since the people qualify for being "indigent" even the justice system is in on this, the Judge ect. Then there's not a person in this world that would believe a word you have to say because these Jokes that they call a Dr. Put a label on you which in turns destroys your life. If you had just thoughts of suicidal before now your more then likely instead of a "cry for help" they will actruly commit the act. So my question is would it be more Humain to have facilities all over the the country to assist in a "Painless" suicide. Not talking like when they put down dogs in animal shelters, if you have ever seen a animal die that way you will know what I'm speaking of. Instead they have major drugs that can easily and truly "Painlessly!!" assist in suicide. Now the majority of the people who say they want to die just need help, its social and economic problems that have caused their pain and given the option would not go through with it. Now Im not talking about just people with terminal illness ect. but for ANY reason they choose. My question is the few who would want assistance, should this be Legalized ?

DrRainbow and soulcompromise like this.
  2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I kind of think.. yes. But I wouldn't argue for it.
    Legalising it for the terminally ill, I would.

Angela36 likes this.
  3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I really wish it was legal. I feel you should at least be 21 and over and there should be a waiting period of at least 3 to 6 months in which you can back out anytime. In case its a spur of the moment thing, and you change your mind and wish to remain alive.

Psychopath likes this.
  4. morrow

morrow Visitor

When your dieing in pain, your given drugs to make you sleep.. morphine mostly, this slows your breathing, then your heart slows down and eventually goes into cardiac arrest.. and because your dieing anyway, they womt resuscitate you.. in effect, they cut your life short.. that's assisted suicide on the Drs part.. yet you cant decide when that happens, only a Dr ...
    Not right !

5. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Has anyone ever felt like this song before?

6. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be legalized. Not for people who are just depressed, though. People in major physical pain, though, yeah. There's no reason why someone should just have to suffer horribly until they're dead.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Do you think there should be a multiple choice questionnaire?

eggsprog likes this.
  8. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

The problem you could encounter with your comment, would be not enough proof. Let's say the persons to poor to see a Dr. But the person is in a ton of pain and can't have his/her wishes of death fulfilled because he/she doesn't qualify until tons of measures are taken. I do like Total Darkness idea about the wait time though.

9. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Dr's. Take a oath against committing such acts, that's why there are so many problems at execution time at Death Row. They have the staff do the procedure due to oath.

10. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Personally no, that would seem like it's heading back toward psychiatrist making the decision and not the person.

11. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Also mental pain can be worse then physical for some people.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  12. Eostre Lily

Eostre Lily Members

13. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Most suicides happen shortly after hospitalization. Risk of Suicide After Hospitalization Even Higher Than Previously Estimated

I would reserve assisted suicide only for those that couldn't pull it off themselves. This is such a morbid topic.

IMO more work has to be done to improve those atrocities posing as help and for many getting involved in the human rights in mental health movement is a great way to find a purpose and get rid of suicidal thinking.

14. Angela36

Angela36 Members

Definitely. Why should people have to suffer if they are terminally ill. We are even more humane towards dogs.

srgreene likes this.
  15. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

Yes, under strict controls. My 98 year old mother spent a year in agony, dying and begging to be allowed to die. We didn't do anything to prolong her life, but her body refused to give up.

16. srgreene

srgreene Members

I find myself sympathetic to your position. But I think there should be some medical component to it. Severe mental disorders are medical in nature (schizophrenic affective disorder might be a good example). It shouldn't be open to everyone who may be depressed over circumstances in their lives.

We have a neighbor with frontal lobe dementia. He is too far gone now- the symptoms came on rather suddenly. But he retired from the Army as a full colonel, and I am pretty sure he would not have wanted this shadow of his former self being such a burden to his wife, or to anyone, for that matter.

There does come a time for us all to go. The last thing I would want is for my great-grandchildren to remember some dottie old lady who couldn't clean up after herself. And I have some arrangements in place to see that does not happen.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This reminds me of that guy who hung himself in prison recently. I forget his name, but he was the sex trafficker. The reason it reminds me is because mental institutions typically put you on suicide watch when you arrive. But once you improve your behavior your mentality etc they let up. That's when they cut you loose.

Many people think this sort of thing doesn't work. I feel like it probably works relatively well for times of instability, and let's you go before things get expensive for the county. Know what I mean? It's like, how long do you really need to be locked up.

Anyhow, I don't think rational people should be allowed to go around offing themselves, no.

18. I just wonder how much of it is for our own good versus their own good. Essentially, why do we, as a society, have the right to tell individuals they must live? Is it to uphold the sanctity of human life in order to put our own minds at ease?

soulcompromise likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

don't you think that should be part of it @neonspectraltoast? I think that there is something sacred about our lives and we all share the responsibility of showing a certain respect of that. There are times when I'm not particularly thrilled about the choices I've made, or I'm just really bored, but I don't think I should be allowed to just end up dead because I don't like the way the wind is blowing that day.

I guess I'm just opposed to the idea of it. I can see where there is a point to euthanasia in times of dire illness, but beyond that I'm a pretty firm believer in the sanctity thing you were talking about.

20. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Well, in-between wars, yes.