Sherlock

Discussion in 'TV Dramas' started by surreal_charm, Apr 22, 2011.

1. surreal_charm

surreal_charm Member

anyone seen it? being aired on BBC. i watched the first episode out of curiosity and immediately fell in love with it. even though it's a modernized representation, not for once you feel like you are missing the period. they have managed to retain the gripping flow of the stories really well.
    a super-tight thriller. can't wait for the next season.

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Absolutely love it.

3. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  4. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

New Sherlock out!!!!!

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

They’ve had some pretty good remakes of Sherlock Holmes including the 1984 TV series starring Jeremy Brett (Holmes) and Edward Hardwicke (Watson) but my all-time favorite still remains Basil Rathbone (Holmes) and Nigel Bruce as Dr. Watson :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

6. Allons-y!

Allons-y! Member

I haven't seen it. But it's in my queue on Netflix. I am looking forward to seeing it, it looks interesting.

7. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I think its brilliant- exciting and v well written. And I'm rarely into cop type programmes ( mainly cos I dislike cops..lol). Pretty much the only tv prog I'm really into right now.

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Yeah I was brought up with the duo as the characters most suited to those roles, although when I saw the updated version I thought it well 'modernised' as the original stories; however well made and acted, are stories we are all too familiar with, the newer take makes them intriging and very good viewing :)

9. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

CBS is supposedly making an American Sherlock set in modern times. I think I have a bump on my head because of how hard I facepalmed when I heard this.

Moffat is a genius, the series is unequaled with the exception of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock. That being said, I'm none too fond of the fangirl movements, the homosexual innuendos(I am homosexual, but Sherlock, in my mind, is not) and the way they portrayed Irene Adler.

The show is genius. I do, however, hate how little American audiences seem to understand the plots. I'm American and I blame Hollywood's low standards and their opinion that all audiences are morons to be led around on leashes.

It is my favorite Television Drama at the moment, and really the only one I obsessively watch.

-BlkBks

10. MeowKat

MeowKat Member

While some of the episodes are better than others, Sherlock is great - watched it via Netflix. I love the modern-day interpretation of Sherlock as an Asperger-like genius. ....and black books, I have to say I find the homosexual innuendo very funny. Sherlock and Watson are just two of those characters readers have wondered about. I find it humorous that the series acknowledges and plays with those notorious insinuations, much to the exasperation of Watson. Sherlock strikes me as asexual, at least, so far.

11. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

Well, I know it's not the end of the world, but I grew up reading Arthur Conan Doyle's stuff from like age eight and Sherlock Holmes was a personal hero. And there are some angles of it I just don't find a joking matter or that should be either brought up or reduced to a double entendre.

Actually, being such a strict Holmes fan(I am Hipster about this, I was with Holmes before it was cool), I'm surprised I like this show at all, let alone it being one of my favorite things to watch. So the fact that I don't like them making Sherlock/Watson gay jokes is really just a pet peeve.

-BlkBks

12. MeowKat

MeowKat Member

Fair enough.