Sheep

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

People get angry when I use that word. By my way of thinking, a person would only get angry over such a word being used if they see themselves as being a possible sheep and thus take a personal offense to the word. I often refer to the general population as sheep because they are. That is certainly not all people, but it's most. Most people are content to not question anything, but they get upset when other people do. I rarely call somebody a sheep directly unless they attack me first, simply because I share a view that is contrary to the one the media has forced down their throats.

A perfect example of sheep behavior is how people react to alternative theories regarding yesterday's "terrorist" bombings in Boston. Why is it ok to assume it was a foreign or domestic terrorist or terrorist organization that was responsible, but not the government itself, when clearly the government stands the most to gain from scaring the public so they will support even more draconian laws designed to strip them of their rights, along with more police, more surveillance cameras on the street, and more drones in the sky? It should be common knowledge that governments (including our own) have staged terrorist events in the past to get the public to go along with giving up their rights or going to war, yet so many people are reluctant to consider this in light of what any relatively informed person should be aware of.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i never really had a problem with sheep. something about "sheeple" always kind of annoyed me for some reason though.

also when you used to end posts with "wake up!" because that makes it look like you assume that NOBODY reading the post is awake.

3. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

One could call you a sheep for automatically looking to our own government.
    You question and question but what do you actually do? Question are just another sheepish behavior if no action is takin.

4. Pressed_Rat

Well, I look to where is most obvious, and if the pieces fit they do. Rarely do official stories hold water, and even more so as time goes on. The government and media simply do not tell the truth, and they NEVER give you the full truth (only half truths).

Also, asking questions, I feel, is the most important thing any sentient being can do. That is one of the reasons for living -- to ask questions and seek truth... not to fiddle with our iPhones 24/7.

5. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

It's because it's condescending as fuck, truth or not. For myself, it grates me because I've never heard the word uttered by anyone who wasn't a sheep themselves. Just bleating from a different part of the pasture.

6. Pressed_Rat

Sometimes condescension is a good thing if it evokes a response that might entail thinking.

7. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Exactly. I think we should rename our favorite conspiricist to Pressed_Sheep.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

people (including myself) actually get angry when people use the term "sheep" because people that use it generally mean that everyone apart form them has been successfully indoctrinated into a series of flasehoods and that THEY, on the other hand, are special and have seen through the programming and are "free thinkers" when in fact this tends not to be the case at all, they have their own programming, they just happen to think they're right.

people get offended at the assumption of intellectual superiority. people get offended by arrogance. it doesn't necessarily mean they feel personally insulted. most of the people who've ever called me a sheep are exactly the sort of people to whom i'd have thought that the term applies the strongest, but then i'm probably as wrong as them.

it is occasionally tempting to try and disabuse them of their belief in their own infallibility, but mostly i just ignore it. some don't, its understandable, i don't assume they're insulted, just rankled by the presence of dogmatism.

9. Pressed_Rat

I get offended by the assumption that the government and media don't lie when they regularly do. People get offended by the perceived dogma of people who offer alternate theories and bring alternative facts to light, but they aren't offended by the dogma of the media and its authorized "experts" which impose their views on the collective mind of the public. This confuses me.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

There is no truth.. There is only perception.. false perceptions..

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

That is poor psychology. Condescension doesn't breed thought, it builds defensiveness and shuts down a potentially open mind.

I don't know if this would surprise you or not, but there would be a quite a bit of 'conspiracy' that I would agree with you on. My issue is this crazy superior attitude and fear mongering hyperbole I read, that seems just as much of the larger manipulation by TPTB as anything else.

For myself, in the grand scheme of things, I get that I am indeed a sheep. If things had been a little different in life, perhaps I could have played on a larger stage but I still have a damn stage and I'm going to try and make my little insignificant spot on this planet a better damn place. I've seen the difference community outreach has on people, even if it's just one at a time and no Elite is ever going to stop me from striving. Maybe it's fulitle, I don't thinks so...but it's a damn site better than sitting around an being bitter at the world.

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I don't get offended, I just make fun of them. Which by no means mean that I necessarily disagree with them or that I blindly follow any media or government information.

13. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

though i acknowledge it as a possibility, i don't WANT to believe that the US government would attack it's own citizens on it's own soil.

14. Pressed_Rat

I don't think anybody does.

15. wallace2112

wallace2112 Member

its a real fucked up thought to think the US would do it to its own people...

16. broony

broony Banned

for the sheep..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw"]How the Electoral College Works - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k"]The Trouble with the Electoral College - YouTube

17. acuarela

acuarela Member

There's a lot of people who question the government and the media, but don't feel the need to prove themselves right, by constantly pointing out how wrong everyone else is. An idea doesn't become stronger or suddenly true, by calling other people stupid.

18. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

I think it also sets up an atmosphere of divisiveness. It divides the public into 'the sheeple' versus 'the enlightened' and pits one group against the other.

19. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

The material in the two electoral college videos is factual.

What is curious is that some of the people who say that they favor alternative views and don't trust shadowy groups in government (like electors in the electoral college who aren't elected by the people) will get furious over the suggestion that the electoral college be abolished or even modified slightly. The response that they offer for that view is usually a general emotionally-charged statement that doing so would result in 'mob rule', although a reasonable argument based on logic and numbers (like the approach the videos use) never seems to be made by such people. It's also strange that such people would embrace the electoral college with its shadowy electors who aren't obligated to vote as the public wants them to (which has happened 87 times in the past as the first video states, including a conspiracy involving 23 electors in Virginia).

20. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

It's also why propaganda groups like to use it as a backdrop. Fear is the most fundamental of all emotions. Get people to fear and you get some followers, whether its the government doing it or some alternative propaganda group.