shaved head?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by snelio37, Dec 28, 2004.

1. snelio37

snelio37 Member

i've been thinking about shaving my head. my hair is kind of overworked and really nappy, and i've got terrible dandruff, so i was just thiking why don't i shave it all off. But, i would like to know how long it'll take to grow back to boy length.i have rabid,curly hair that is likely to take control of my head at any moment, so i'm fairly sure it'll grow back fast enough. i have a perfectly
    (seriously. it's like spherical) round head with no real surface abnormalitlies or features to make it interesting, and i only want to have short short hair for awhile. if anyone has any experience with shaved heads or any of that it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I shaved my head toward the end of January a few years ago. By April, my hair was about an inch long, so I could either gel it down flat or go for a spikey look, which was cool for a while. By August (when I got my student ID), it was kinda shaggy looking, as the bangs were down to around normal bang length (down to touching my eyebrows) but I hadn't had a trim to shape anything up yet.

My hair does tend to grow a bit faster than average, & it is straight as a pin, so I can't really give any advice on how curly hair will look going thru those stages...

I must say, it was a good experience. I had always kinda used my hair to hide behind when I was in an awkward situation, so shaving it off was a learning experience :)

3. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I have curly hair, while I have never shaved it, I have cut it very close. It's actually fun when it grows out. Since it is so unruly, I would just wash it, put a teeniest bit of gel in it, and run my hands through it crazily. It looked really cute for a while. Then, I let it grow even more and I'm at the stage in my hair life where I want to chop it all off again!!

4. snelio37

snelio37 Member

yay. i talked to my dad, who shaves his head on a fairly regular basis and he said he shaved it real close right before thanksgiving and it's now just about regular length again. so, i hope the same goes for me as i was planning on doing this over break, but i'm afraid that didn't work out. so either the sunday right before school, or over a long weekend. I'm only doing this becasue my hair is getting really yucky and dry ( an oily all at the same time) and generally disgusting. there's a zillion little tiny mats and 4 really big ones. so i'm either going to get them cut out or just shave it all off. getting them cut would give me a sort of funky look,and not in the good way.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

The longer my hair gets, the less kinky it is. Have you tried a long style? I have never shaved my head (I haven't had a haircut, more a trim for split) since I graduated college in 1984.)

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

treat your scalp. lopping off your hair will not cure dandruff. It will make you look ...odd... like the older men you see with flakes in their "rings."
    if you want to shave just to experience it, fine, do it.
    But it will not fix what you wrote was the underlying problem.

7. Disarm

Disarm Member

shaving your head is soooo good when you have dandruff. I just sat there for about half an hour rubbing the tips of my fingers through my hair and watching all the built up crap come off my scalp (3 months of it from dreads as well, more than dandruff).

Shaving your head is fun, its grand, but it takes ages to grow back. I shaved my head in march and my hair grows slowly, its about 4" long (? got dreads again, so poss a bit longer) now... The important thing to remember is you can't do much with a shaved head for a good month, sometimes a bit longer, so if you don't like it you can't do jack with it! You've just gotta live with it and that can suck. However it is fun to watch your hair grow right back out again, you may find a new haircut which you never thought of before which looks great on you.

But like drumminmama said, youve gotta actually fix up the way you treat your hair so the next lot isnt just as scummy. Maybe go to a salon and get it all fancily cleaned and done up (or at home, far cheaper) to see how much permanent damage there will be, you might want to keep it once its clean and nice :)

8. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

ive been shaving my head for some time now....trust me....its a cleansing expeirience that u will never forget...just ignore all the looks youll get..im quite used to them being covered in piercings and tattoos but on average the looks for women are the hardest part...keep yer head up high:)

9. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think it would look really cute...

especially if you have the eyes/face to pull it off.

10. tokens

tokens Member

Great topic! I shaved my head during the end of last summer. Now it's about almost 3 inches long. At first I had no idea how to go about it. I cut my hair as short as I could with scissors, and then I tried to shave it with a disposable razor. That didn't work. The blades got so full of hair so quick it was pretty pointless. So I busted out a clipper/trimmer that has a really short attachment and buzzed the whole thing. It was faster and safer than I imagined. When I got my hair down to a very short stubble I then shaved it with the razor. After that my head was really sensitive. But it was a really cool experience. There was a freckle on my head that I never knew I had! I'm thinking about doing it again now.. Hmm. Good luck!
    Oh and as a note: Don't try nair on your head, it might be fast but it doesn't feel good. :eek:

11. sweetdreadlover

oo yeah ive heard of people nairing their heads and it always ends up with chemical burns...yeowwch

12. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Member

Hey! I shaved my head last march (2004).. I had dyed my hair tons of times, and it was so dead. THEN, I got headlice and I couldn't get rid of it. I woke up one day at like 4am, my head itched so bad that I just shaved it off with my dad's beard trimmer. My hair was long, like mid-back, and thick. Agh. It feld SO awesome, my shaved head. I could have gotten upset once I realized what I did, but it was too late to regreat it! I looked horrible, got loads of looks and comments (had people call me butch, lesbo, stuff like that) but I don't regreat it. It was really manageable, the best thing was in the summer, I would just run my head under cool water to cool off! I loved it! And I didn't have to comb/brush my hair for months and months. But I had to gel it to keep it from sticking up!

Now,my hair looks pretty normal, I dunno how long it is.. five inches? I guess my hair grows slowly. It's darker than I remember, which I like. (I forgot my real hair color I guess) and super silky. I'd never shave my head again, but it seriously was a great experience. I'm never going to dye my hair again, either. I swear.

I think everyone should shave their head at least once in their lives! You'll realize looks aren't that important, but you'll also notice how shallow some people (esp guys) can be. But I had some girls envy me, especially when the weather was like 100+ and we were working outside all day!

13. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Member

snelio37 -

Did you end up shaving your head or not?

14. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

[​IMG]
    vs.
    [​IMG]

I don't know know about you, but I gotta go with number 2.

15. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

[​IMG]

vs.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, you know, once again, the bald look just doesn't do it for me.

16. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Member

Pikachu -

I never said a shaved head was sexy, but it totally rocked. I'm glad my hair is decent looking again though.

17. sweetdreadlover

at least pick an attractive woman like sinead o conner or ani difranco jeesh...