Shaolin Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Free School' started by Ajay0, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Shaolin Kungfu is based on Buddha's teaching, "To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."

The martial arts were created in those medieval times primarily for self-defense by travelling monks from wild animals, bandits along with good physical fitness necessary for proper meditation or intelligent work, without any issues of ill-health which may lower the quality of meditation or work done.

The focus of shaolin kungfu thus is not on being an 'invincible warrior' but a peaceful sage and to prepare the physical foundation for it.

Just looking at the superficial external aspects of shaolin kungfu and other related martial arts, without properly perceiving the intrinsic philosophy and purpose behind it, indicate shallowness and foolishness which may bring more harm than good.

2 people like this.
  2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Best to keep to the basics of Olde lore - Mind, Body, Spirit in balance and order allows a fundamental start to one education

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like the OP attitude. :)

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

A quick upper-cut to the chin, then turn to the side and a kick to the shin, breaking opponent's leg. Then, run like Hell.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

catch fly in chopsticks..you can do it. .

1 person likes this.
  6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well I’ve watched every Shaw Brothers movie from The 36th chamber, to 5 Deadly Venoms, Invincible Shaolin, Executioners from Shaolin,
    The Kid with the Golden Arm, The Water Margin, Clan of the White Lotus, Masked Avengers, The Deadly Duo, Heroes Two, 2 Champions of Shaolin,
    Flag of Iron, House of Traps, Dirty Ho, and the Deadly Mantis - that's my full knowledge of shaolin Kung Fu

Hotwater

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I don't think it is possible to learn a martial art on your own. In fact, I'm sure its not. Any martial art with no aspect of live sparring is probably ineffective, and you can't spar on your own.

How effective a martial art is usually has way more to do with training methods than with the style itself. If no-one is teaching Shaolin style Kung Fu near you, try something else, but just make sure you train properly.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i have a fence needs painting

and a truck needs waxing

2 people like this.
  9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If you can't afford to go study Shaolin Kungfu, my recommendation is at a minimum find a any Kungfu school that focuses on any of the animal styles. It's a start somewhere. You need an actual sifu to teach you Kungfu, self study is half-hazard and meaningless. You will be better prepared when you do finally get the opportunity to move on to Shaolin Kungfu.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

11. Eric!

12. SaltyDawg

SaltyDawg Members

Grasshopper, practice walking on rice paper.
    Once you can do it without leaving any trace that you were there, you will be ready to start your journey.

How to be a Shaolin Monk

http//www,wikihow.com/Be-a-Shaolin-Monk

2 people like this.
  13. Amerijuanican

Amerijuanican Banned

Grasshopper- Take the pebble from my hand.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  15. Eric!

Then you've become a true Kungfu master, after watching that extensive list of shaw bro movies. What about Heroes from the East? That was an excellent flick- Gordon Lui rules!!!!!

16. hotwater

Yes, Heroes of the East, the 36th Chamber Part II, Have Sword Will Travel, The Wandering Swordsman, ……

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

hotwater likes this.
  18. Eric!

Hey, did you ever see Executioner from Shaolin? The son who had to avenge his father's death from the evil renegade monk Pei Mei? Taught Crane-style by his mom all his life, and had to learn his father's Tiger-style on his own? Kick-ass movie!!!

19. hotwater

Yes I’ve seen it and it similar in some respects to Clan of the White Lotus (1980) which also features Priest Pai Mei

Also recommend, Warrior from Shaolin, Treasure Hunters, and Invincible Armor (1977)

Eric! likes this.
  20. Eric!

I saw clan of the white lotus, had Gordon Lu in it also. Ok cool, will check out the rest, thanks man.