Sexuality Rating Scales

Discussion in 'Gay Polls' started by Samhain, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Kinsey Scale

From Ramone Johnson,
    Your Guide to Gay Life.

In the late 1940's and early 1950's a sex researcher by the name of Dr. Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues published two books called Sexual Behavior in the Human Male and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female based on the study of human sexuality. These works are also known as the "Kinsey Reports."
    One of Dr. Kinsey's most well known theories is the "Heterosexual/ Homosexual Rating Scale," which rates a person's homosexuality or heterosexuality on a 7-point continuum.

Keep in mind, however, that it is normal for a heterosexual person to have thoughts, dreams or even fantasies about members of the same sex as it is for homosexuals to have thoughts about heterosexuals.

Thus, your "score" may not be a perfect 6 or 0.

0- Exclusively heterosexual

1- Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual

2- Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

3- Equally heterosexual and homosexual

4- Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

5- Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual

6- Exclusively homosexual

FROM gaylife.about.com

2. Samhain

Klein Sexual Orientation Grid

The Klein Sexual Orientation Grid attempts to further measure sexual orientation by expanding upon the earlier Kinsey scale which only considers from 0 (exclusively heterosexual) to 6 (exclusively homosexual).
    Because most people had been (and arguably still are) first exposed to sexuality with the binary of heterosexual or homosexual, Alfred Kinsey set his scale of sexual orientation with seven intervals, beginning at 0 with 'Exclusively Heterosexual' and concluding at 6 with 'Exclusively Homosexual'. As you travel the scale, you could be determined to be Predominantly heterosexual, more than incidentally homosexual at interval 2, Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual at interval 5 and anywhere in between. At the centre, Interval 3 is `Equally Heterosexual and Homosexual'.
    Klein refined the scale and somewhat simplified it. It remains with 7 intervals, but instead they are:
    [​IMG]

What limits the Kinsey scale is that it focuses on the person's sexual experiences and fantasies up to that time. So to develop and hope for a better understanding of an individual's sexuality throughout their lives, the Klein scale investigates sexual experience and fantasies in three times: the present (the most recent 12 months), the past (up to 12 months ago) and the ideal (which is as close as one can get to intention and prediction of future behaviour).
    Basically, Klein allowed the concept that people's sexuality can change through their lives.
    But these aren't the only innovations Klein made. Even more important than considering that sexuality is fluid was Klein's introduction of many different factors that can influence identity. These are:
    Sexual Attraction: To whom are you sexually attracted?
    Sexual Behaviour: With whom have you actually had sex?
    Sexual Fantasies: About whom are your sexual fantasies? (They may occur during masturbation, daydreaming, as part of real life, or purely in your imagination.)
    Emotional Preference: Emotions influence, if not define, the actual physical act of love. Do you love and like only members of the same sex, only members of the other sex, or members of both sexes?
    Social Preference: Social Preference is closely allied with, but often different from emotional preference. With members of which sex do you socialize?
    By considering all of these other life factors, Klein's categorical scale offers much more in terms of understanding that sexual activities do not necessarily denote sexual orientation, and just because two people have the same sexual identity does not mean that they have the same sexual practices.

Joyia likes this.
  3. ImaMuffin

ImaMuffin Member

I'm a 2 or 3 on the second scale (the one with the pretty colors :D ).

Sexual Attraction: Mostly males, with major crushes on some females.
    Sexual Behaviour: Just guys, so far.
    Sexual Fantasies: both
    Emotional Preference: I have grown to love both men and women.
    Social Preference: both about equally.

4. Samhain

where are the pretty colours or are you tripping!!
    S

5. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

I would say a 5 or 6 on the second scale

Sexual Attraction: Mostly females, but I find the odd guy unbelievably attractive
    Sexual Behaviour: Just guys, so far :(
    Sexual Fantasies: Mostly female
    Emotional Preference: I love both men and women
    Social Preference: both

6. Swollibman

Swollibman Member

7. ImaMuffin

ImaMuffin Member

I think it's pretty anyway...

8. Samhain

I'm just getting a box with a white background, if your getting pretty colours on your comp, i'm putting in a complaint!!
    S

9. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Is there a link here?

10. Samhain

I haven't put in a link lucky however if you google both names you'll get more information on them
    S

11. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I just wanted to see what number I got. googled it. Got info. on what the test is but not the test.

Ah well. :D

I pretty much can figure my "score" although there are two different numbers i could get... 2 or 3. would like to see what it said.

12. Samhain

I don't think its a quiz lucky its just a matter of thinking of your own sexuality then looking at where you are on the table
    S

13. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Oh from what you posted earlier I thought it was a test thing... haha. sorry.

like a scale, scientific thing. yaddda... moves on whistling :D

heh

14. Biida

Biida Member

Hah, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm exactly the same, except for having been sexually involved with a couple of women.

15. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Biida, don't get creeped out or anything but I think the word Biida is really erotic for some reason. Is that your birth name?

16. Kiwi_Toast

Kiwi_Toast Member

I love and am involved sexually with both men and women equally

:)

17. Biida

Biida Member

The name on my birth certificate is Brittany, given by my white father.

My native name, given by my great-auntie Lilian from my mother's side, is Biidaska Qua. It means Sunshine Woman. Biida is the shortened nickname I've had for as long as I can remember. :)

18. TsuzukiAsato13

TsuzukiAsato13 Member

I think I come up as about a three or four... It's all really intersting. Lord Alfred Douglas (19th century poet and lover of Oscar Wilde) said that everyone's a little bisexual. Which is probably pretty close to the truth...

(This might seem a little off-topic, but...)
    I've always wondered: why do some guys like watching girl/girl stuff and some girls like watching guy/guy stuff? Like anime or manga, it's called yaoi (m/m) and yuri (f/f). Yaoi is marketed towards girls and yuri is marketed towards boys. Why is that?

19. sun_heart_girl

sun_heart_girl Member

I don't see the colours either :confused:

What about finding the opposite sex attractive to look at but not sexually attractive? Would that make me a 5?

20. sniffmagikmarkrs

sniffmagikmarkrs Senior Member

Sexual Attraction: both, but a little more for guys.... although the few women that i crush on get me hotter than any guy
    Sexual Behaviour: Just guys, but the boyfriend and i are thinking of including another girl in some of our experiences
    Sexual Fantasies: both
    Emotional Preference: both
    Social Preference: both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.