Sex Change or Tough-That's life.... I think it's ridiculous

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by white ginger, Apr 12, 2005.

1. white ginger

white ginger Senior Member

Some people are born and all their life they feel ugly. Some people are born female, yet they feel male. Some people are poor, yet they feel they were meant to be rich.

Well tough! How would you react if someone started making a huge fuss because they believe that they should have been born in the 1940's (my sister, for example). Let's create a society/world for her so that she can dress in the big trailing dresses and wear hats with stylish specimens pinned on. I've been abused because I'm bisexual. What if it made me depressed every day that I'd been abused, and I thought, really felt, that it should not have happened. Could someone erase my memory please? GBLT have been very discriminated against, but I think the whining is going too far in a silly direction. Life has it's seeming imperfections--get over it. I suggest people work with what they've got.

2. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I'm a bi transgender, and I do agree. People bitch about what they are stuck with too much. I may sometimes wish I was a girl, but I know it is not possible in a natural way; I do crossdress whenever I get that desire. So, I guess I can fulfill the role, but other than that, I can't really complain; I'm alive, afterall. No need to get depressed about the situation...

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

Your sister couldwear the full dresses if she wanted to & maybe even does. Your brother would be ridiculed for having the same desire. OK, there is more to it all than just that but it is an iceberg tip.

You should never have been abused because you're bisexual. It would be very logical if it made you depressed every day that you'd been abused, and you should think, really feel, that it should not have happened.

There is no excuse for abusing someone because they are bi, gay, lesbain or transgendered. To say that people should just get over it is letting the abusers keep the power. It sounds like you are saying that it's always been this way so there is nothing we can do about it. Where would the world be today if people accepted that about slavery, child abuse, or spousal abuse. Only through challenging what is wrong with society can change be brought about. Standing up for simple rights isn't whinning.

4. SkeeterVT

SkeeterVT Member

You give a new meaning to the term "cold fish." Your selfish, uncaring attitude toward transgenders suggests to me that your blood is the same temperature as Lake Erie in the middle of January.

That's the strongest language I can use about you without getting rude and abusive.

-- Skeeter

5. jungee

jungee Member

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that people shouldn't blame all of their problems on their orientation, cause life is what it is. Everyone has problems

But as a group GLBT are still singled out and targeted by discrimination imo. Some people make it seem like if only gays were making less noise and happily blended in it would help their cause, but I'm not sure that's true. Homophobia is rampant and affects even kids who are not out in schools..so there's a need to be vocal about all this cause it's not going away. There are always realities that need to be exposed, even if they make people uncomfortable.

6. white ginger

oh hey I agree it is totally important to be vocal, and homophobia is rampant in schools and that needs to be healed.
    I feel though, Skeeter, like you replied without thinking. I could be wrong, but I think you didn't give what I said much thought (you certainly gave your post some thought :D it was well-written). I totally support people who feel like they should be the opposite sex. What I'm saying is that at some point we all feel as though we were born in some way different than we should have been, or what would have been optimal for us. You interpret coldness, but my words are not cold. I brought up the fact that I've been abused because of my somewhat 'unstraightness' just to show I'm not coming from a place where I have no clue what gay people are about. I feel no resentment to my abusers, in fact I submitted to the abuse... I pretty much let it happen. It's made me a way more thoughtful and self-confident person post-healing though, and for that I am grateful.
    So what I'm saying is.. yeah.. we're not all born with what we would design ourselves to be. Homophobia is an entirely different matter.

7. SkeeterVT

SkeeterVT Member

You're right, I didn't give your comments much thought. And that's because the language that you employed was so cut-to-the-chase blunt. I had a relationship with a transgendered woman, so I do tend to be rather sensitive in matters involving transgenders.

-- Skeeter

8. white ginger

yup. It was cut-to-the-chase blunt. :) . I did give examples and explanations. Would you rather I meandered and sugar-coated? Or just said it more gently? (I'm curious; no sarcasm. I find communication of forums seems to be rather stunted and reactionary instead of thoughtful and responsary. It's really difficult not to be reactionary when there's a button and you can just type something in thirty seconds. Unlike a letter like a response to an article in the newspaper--you have to think about that one and make sure you're not making unreasonable assumptions, and then edit it if it's going to pass the editor.)