Serious question about brain damage/lost brain cells, etc

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by interval_illusion, Aug 15, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

thanks stranger. :D

yeah you're defiantly right.... and there are so many toxins everywhere. i kinda freaked out when i heard there are even toxins in silverware...lol...

well, i eat fresh wild caugh, non predatory fish, legumes, brown rice, rice protein shakes with flax seeds and flax and borage oil and fruit and lots of organic veggies and veggie juices from the juicer. *and supplements*

ill soon be slowly returning to "regular" food because im going on vacation to the beach next week and well, i wanna be able to eat what i want when im on vacation and not go into "shock" ;) lol...

right now i actually feel a lot more "sharp" in my MIND then i have in a while... it's nice. it's just sometimes i forget what im saying when im talking... but like seamonster said... some things just take time too.

even though im gonna be returning to "normal" food soon, im gonna still try to stick to a diet like my current one a lot more then i did in the past...

i have a question for you... when you detox, what exactly do you eat, not eat, take, do, etc?

2. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

False....for example, researchers at the Medical college of Georgia have found that stem cells help the brain repair itself after a stroke. Studies have also shown that, in the case of ex-Meth users, the brain could actually repair itself with extended abstinence.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

the new research on brain function is just fascinating. it's amazing what our brains can do

earlier in the thread, the question was asked if there is any kind of supplement that helps with memory~you may want to do a bit of research on ginko

and as far as diet goes...a lot of people get brain fog when they're eating too many carbs in relation to the amt of protein in their diets. also the omega 3 fatty acids are imperative to good brain function. and avoid trans fats/partially hydrogenated oils like the plague~they are brain poison. a good book to check out: The Garden of Eating

4. vimmeroony

vimmeroony Member

fish = brain food (coz of omega 3, as mentioned).

5. stranger

stranger Member

hey trish : ) glad to hear your feeling sharp and together, its a good feeling forsure. didnt look like it there when you started to fight with soulless chaos though, LOL j/k.

anyway, nimh is right. always always avoid hydrogenated oils and trans fat. it really isnt that hard, just always eat whole foods. theres pleeeeenty of whole junk food for when you crave junk food, just start shopping at the health food store.

i guess my detox started when i became a vegan out of love for animals and the environment and i started to eat organic too out of a love for the environment. consequently i became a tiny bit more cleansed and energetic than i used to be. then i was fortunate enough to meet herbuhlovah on here who i think you know, who turned me onto fasting and really inspired me to start eating better. hes probably your best bet to ask about all of this but ill tell you what ive learned so far.

i always did really simple fasts when i did them. just woke up one morning and didnt feel like eating so i just drank a shit load of water instead which worked wonders probably. later found out many people cannot handle water fasts and they are hard to maintain but i did them without having that notion in my brain so i guess it was easier to stick with it just thinking that was what fasting was about. then occasionally i would make some organic lemonade, limeade or orange juice. even made wheat grass juice once which is supposed to be very detoxifying but it wasnt what i expected. i mean, it was much stronger than the other juices but i expected it to be a lot worse after hearing about people throwing up and breaking out in hives after drinking it to release toxicity from their bodies. i guess i was lucky to discover all this so early in my life, even though i know my body has a looong way to go as far as detoxifying goes. i dont think i can handle a full detox though so i just eat right and eat whole foods and that keeps me balanced enough.

after like maybe 10 juice fasts though i started to feel like my body was in optimal working condition and i still do. it still digests everything very quickly and easily as long as i eat whole foods. and now im very sensitive to what i put into my body..its almost like my body is trying desperatley to stop me from going back into the toxic state it used to struggle with constantly. the body is constantly working and trying to detoxify itself even if we arent...so we have to work with it or else its going to be a very uphill struggle in many ways.

flax seeds are good but hemp seeds are optimal if you can afford them. they have optimal ratios of not just omega 3s but 6s and 9s too. i think its sorda funny how fish have the 3s and flaxseeds have them too and then hemp seeds are like the ultimate food were supposed to evolve into eating. they also have complete veggie protein in them too... just goes to show you how great the hemp plant is : )

i could go on for daze about all this stuff but my advice is simply to start eating whole foods and try to stay vegetarian for love of yourself and things other than yourself. if i didnt start to care about things other than myself, i honestly dont know where i would be today. and i think you might notice as the furthur you go into detox, the easier it is to begin to feel compassionate towards other things.

6. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

ever heard of neurogenesis? it's the process of CREATING NEW BRAIN CELLS. there are studies with rats in the lab with alcohol showing that brain cells created during an intoxicated state will be deformed once they reach maturity, which is about 30 days later. that is, if you spend all your time under the influence, the cells you create during that time will not be very "smart" once they branch out to their final location. that's why it's especially important not to get children drunk, while neurogenesis is so rapid.

if i remember correctly, many new cells are formed in the hippocampus.
    also, brain cells (neurons) are constantly being monitored, repaired, and cleaned up by astrocytes, glial cells, etc. the reason they say we only use 10% of our brains is because only 10% of our brains are NEURONS. the other 90% of our brains are cells whose only function is to support, nourish, and repair brain tissues and cells.

certain foods like salmon, flax seeds, and dark vegetables also promote healthy formation of new cells and help prevent cancerous growth. these types of foods can make all the difference in the world when it comes to aging. haven't you ever met a 95 year old who was as fit and as active as a 20 year old?

take care of your brain.

7. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Please show me where the brain can regrow itself. That's why we're trying hard to get stem cells going, because for all intents and purposes it doesn't.

8. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

9. interval_illusion

quotes from stranger-
    hey trish : ) glad to hear your feeling sharp and together, its a good feeling forsure. didnt look like it there when you started to fight with soulless chaos though, LOL j/k. hehe... yeah- he just constantly does stuff like that though-- yeah, i still have anger issues sometimes :p

anyway, nimh is right. always always avoid hydrogenated oils and trans fat. it really isnt that hard, just always eat whole foods. theres pleeeeenty of whole junk food for when you crave junk food, just start shopping at the health food store. cool... yeah, i usually do avoid that stuff however sometimes i do have quite a sweet tooth so ill look into getting some of the snacks at the natural food store i go to (i have a job interview there tomorrow too)

i guess my detox started when i became a vegan out of love for animals and the environment and i started to eat organic too out of a love for the environment. consequently i became a tiny bit more cleansed and energetic than i used to be. then i was fortunate enough to meet herbuhlovah on here who i think you know, who turned me onto fasting and really inspired me to start eating better. hes probably your best bet to ask about all of this but ill tell you what ive learned so far. that's awesome! :D yeah, i know herbahlovah... he's a cool dude and yeah, maybe i will talk to him about some stuff... i had some conversations w/ him in the past about stuff like this

i always did really simple fasts when i did them. just woke up one morning and didnt feel like eating so i just drank a shit load of water instead which worked wonders probably. later found out many people cannot handle water fasts and they are hard to maintain but i did them without having that notion in my brain so i guess it was easier to stick with it just thinking that was what fasting was about. yeah, defiantly remembering the benefits does help .... i dont know if i would handle a fasting situation really. i get extremly weak and get headaches when i dont eat and i have fainted before from being really hungry so i try to stear clear of those things really.

after like maybe 10 juice fasts though i started to feel like my body was in optimal working condition and i still do. it still digests everything very quickly and easily as long as i eat whole foods. and now im very sensitive to what i put into my body..its almost like my body is trying desperatley to stop me from going back into the toxic state it used to struggle with constantly. the body is constantly working and trying to detoxify itself even if we arent...so we have to work with it or else its going to be a very uphill struggle in many ways.
    yeah i already feel kinda strange.... tomorrow is the last day that ill be doing the detox that im doing and hah.... i actually bought a pumpkin roll and a chocolate shoo fly pie at a farmer's market- they are in my fridge- they look good but im gonna feel so strange eating them. really though, there are a lot of things that i dont really even feel like going back to eating. just the thought of eating regular chips again... which i used to LOVE- it makes my stomach sick just thinking about it!

flax seeds are good but hemp seeds are optimal if you can afford them. they have optimal ratios of not just omega 3s but 6s and 9s too. i think its sorda funny how fish have the 3s and flaxseeds have them too and then hemp seeds are like the ultimate food were supposed to evolve into eating. they also have complete veggie protein in them too... just goes to show you how great the hemp plant is : ) indeed. i never tried them but ive seen them and i was thinking about trying some soon. are they a lot more expensive then flax seeds?

anyways... thanks a lot for all of your support and help. i really apprieciatte it. :)

10. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

hey to all of you who say that the brain does not repair itself i have a question. at what point,age stage. of life does it stop growing???

11. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

just to make sure that you all understand were im coming from. im not being disrespectful!! (ill learn how to spell some day!) but i have had nerve damage that could have been repaird! if it was done in a reasonable amount of time! i also know pepole who have had nerve damage and the nerve wanted to grow back but did not have a path way to go to were it was suppost too. so it finaly penetrated the skin!(a very painful situation!) i beleive it is the pathways that is the problem!! not the nerve repairing itself. i also think that within the brain when the nerve cells are destroyd they can find outher pathways to parts of the brain that can replace the functions that were lost this has been on my mind for years but i havent thuoght about it in just as many! and there has been mutch proggress in it since certainly with the help of christopher reeves! may he rest in peace!!! a lot of our preconceived notions have been blown apart!! if anyone knows about the newer discoveries in this matter i would love as im sure many outhers would! to hear from you!!!! peace!!!!

12. interval_illusion

hmmmm what you said about the new pathways and how you have been thinking about that for a while- i dont know/remember any details really but i know i have heard something about that before. i dont know if it was on the news, or in a biology or psychology book but it sounds on the mark from what i remember.

13. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was also taught that brain cells do not regenerate, and the brain cannot repair itself. The brain has an amazing ability to adapt, though. It can even survive a lobotomy.

14. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

the brain is full of "repair" cells that assist nuerons and clean away debris. trust me, your brain is repairing itself all the time. whoever taught you wrong information should have their license revoked.

15. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't doubt you. I haven't researched it myself at all. I was just regurgitating information from school. Unfortunately, it is often wrong.

16. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

well a cell only lives so long !!!more later!! i just dont want this thread to die! ill be back with more questions!!!

17. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

hey: The brain can repair itself! But it takes time and therapy. My son was braindamaged due to a high fever at 6 months. Cerebral Palsy. I got zapped by 220 high ampage plus lots of various things I did in my youth. It took me a long while to recover. Do utilize any herbs that help. Check out www.susunweed.org there are a lot of herbalists that can give you advice there about which ones. The other thing is do a lot of brain exercises. Like puzzles that make you Think hard. Video games are good too. The brain work they require helps rebuild synapses and tissue. My son has some feeling in his left side now. He is 26 and he does construction work. He was never supposed to walk or talk but we played games to exercise his brain. I wrote letters to people and then reworked them and pitched them as they were just an exercise. Whatever you can enjoy doing that causes your brain to get a work out. The stress will cause you to build more cells and connections. Our brains are akin to our muscles and bones. Stress causes them to become stronger and healthier as long as you don't overdo it. I also did a lot of various puzzles. Logic problems, etc. I also played my son's video games. They really helped. I may never be like I was but I can function a lot better. I experienced the same problems as you. It took ten years to undo most of the damage but it is doable.

Peace and Love,

Cricket Shadowolf