Serger? Do I need one????

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Moonbubbles, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Moonbubbles

Moonbubbles Member

Do I need a serger? I have a few questions for those of you who do apron tops and skirts etc. I just sew my patchwork together like I would do when I'm quilting. I straight stitch along and then a bit of topstitching when it's all done. Do you ladies serge your patchwork as you put it together or just the seems where it is put together. I have looked at a lot of websites that say they serge all their work, so I was thinking do they serge all of it like piecing or just the actual construction part has serge seams.
    Also on the note of a serger I really really want to get one. Under $300, now sears has only 2 models for $350 (I know they have a killer warranty and servicing). What brand do you ladies use? And any pros and cons?
    Thanks a lot,
    Amanda

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

While a serger can be nice, it is NOT necessary for sewing quality and long-lasting pieces.

3. *josai*

*josai* Member

lace and feet is right
    you can make high quality good without a serger, but if you're making to sell, it does seem to allow you to increase the price since people feel like they don't have to take special care to wash/dry (which is sometimes the case with other handmade goods). i guess it just depends on what your sewing goal is.....if you're sewing to sell, then i would go for it. i bought a brother (the cheapest serger i could find). it's definately not the best one out there, but machines can always be traded in down the line for a better/newer model. plus, it's supposed to be a simple one & the damn thing still intimidates me!!!!

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

If you got the money get it from sears, They do have a great warrenty/service plan, I get my machines tuned up every year for free (for 5 years I think) and its under warrenty So its nice and easy (also if you have are old enough and have decent enough credit they do have great 10-25 a month payment plans)