Senate Blocked Gun Control Measures

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Senate blocked the proposed gun control measures. Obama isn't happy about it. Victims of gun crimes aren't happy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/politics/senate-obama-gun-control.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I saw this earlier... I don't own guns but don't take sides either. Something obviously needs to be done but I don't know what that is...

3. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Gun policy in the US is still firmly under the control of the NRA, which is controlled by gun manufacturers. A full 90% public support for expanded background checks wasn't enough. Will voters remember this in November of 2014?

I can't wait to hear those Republican senators running for re-election try to explain why they think gun policy in the US is perfect right now; a big success story, with absolutely no room for improvement. :mad:

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am very mixed on gun control. I have a concealed weapons permit, but overall guns are something I don't get involved in. They scare me; the permanence of what they can do.
    I support the 2nd Amendment, but I also approve background checks and the like and whatever else is needed to keep guns from getting into the wrong hands.

5. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

90% of Americans wanted expanded background checks. It was more popular than motherhood and apple pie. It has never been clearer that US democracy is broken.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Good thing the mob doesn't rule in America, huh?

7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It was an amazing consensus. Most days, you can't get 90% of Americans to agree that the sky is blue and grass is green.

So...you want convicted violent felons and certified nut jobs to be able to keep buying guns at shows. Nice. :rolleyes:

There are already laws against such things, but enforcement is on the "honor system". We know how that works.

8. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Didn't the op say that the repubs were turned down on wanting more enforcement of those laws?

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Not at all. I just don't think what happens between two, private citizens is any of the governments business.

That 90% that keeps getting tossed around to me just speaks to how little our own citizens understand how our government works. We are not, and have never been, a democracy. The majority, the mob, does not and must not rule here. That is why Obama's comments yesterday were so fucking disgusting.

10. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Gun shows are legit avenues for gun purchase. I'm thinking felons and psychos avoid anything legitimate.

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Psychos are psychos. Not the most rational kind of person.

12. Rocky and Trish

Rocky and Trish Member

Not so. I went to my first gun show with a person that had served 8 years for manslaughter.

13. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Ok, did he purchase. Was the charge for a car wreck.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Such as, negotiating a contract to murder somebody? Selling a girl into sex slavery? Giving someone permission to rape a toddler? No, it's never worked that way. Personal privacy doesn't cover any of that.

Use your brain. You should be able to figure this stuff out.

15. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Too many flaws in the new gun control measure they tried sending through... Who's to say who has their mental health under control and who doesn't? Should someone who went overseas to fight for their country who comes back with PTSD have their guns taken away from them when they return home because they have shit ingrained in their mind that no one else has ever witnessed before?

Then there's the black market... nothing controls the black market... people who wanna do bad things will never have a problem finding the right tool to do the job

Something needs to be done... But more rules and restrictions won't help... Killing someone is already a crime.. punishable by death in some states/countries... People still do it... You're not going to stop anything

16. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Each of those examples you have cited involve removing the constitutional freedoms of another, or otherwise exploiting someone who cannot give consent. They are not comparable to the selling of a firearm between two parties.

17. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

It's amusing how making laws to protect the public is equated to making laws that infringes on the rights of public.

18. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Aerianne, I'm not very happy about it, either.

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We do not live in a Democracy, we live in a Representative Republic;

In this case the great body of the people is not being represented by its elected officials, rather they are representing a handful of tyrannical corporations e.g. the gun manufacturers and their stooge the N.R.A.

20. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

The thing we should listen to is the THREAT he made against the American people at the end of his *speech*