Sen. Elizabeth Warren's Great Idea

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tikoo, Apr 22, 2019.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

A citizen's Right to Vote is the most absolute right , and it should never be suspended .

MeAgain likes this.
  2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

When a criminal's right to vote is suspended , could this be punishment or fear of further bad judgment
    or just a goddam exercise of authority ?

Yes , purely and democratically deliver the citizen's absentee ballot to the jail cell - do it . And to my friend
    who lives within the asylum . The govt knows insanity .

3. This issue has been abused and confused for decades. If a person has served their sentence and has been released from prison, I think they should have all of their rights restored. Otherwise, what's the point of letting them out at all? So they can become a fixed underclass for the rest of their lives?

Unfortunately, that is exactly how the US system works. In many states getting an F (felony) on your record means you will never be forgiven. And this has filtered down into daily life for hundreds of thousands of Americans. They face instant, legal discrimination from employers, schools and even dating services. Any case they have in court from that point forward will be skewed by their record. And good luck trying to adopt a child with a felony record.

However, prison is a place where nearly all of your rights are suspended. Voting in prison would be far too easy to manipulate since prisoners will vote for whomever the warden says to earn additional privileges. I'm not saying I trust inmates, but I definitely do not trust jailers. The fact we have heroin in our prisons is proof positive they are being run by either criminals, or the criminally incompetent.

4. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I
    I’ve in WA state where the system is far from perfect, but there is a staightforeward system to restore voting rights when time has been served and fines paid. I agree we certainly need to do more to keep people who have been in prisons and jails from facing a life sentence of discrimination.

5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I'd go as far as saying that there should be polling stations in a prison. Does not matter where you are "living" at the moment you are an American citezin and have a vote.

6. Back when the Penitentiary was conceived the plan was for guilty people to serve their penitence in religious ways, and far from society. There was an idea at the time that any human being could be reformed from crime and rendered back into society. This went on for decades until wars made it obvious that some elements of human nature were not going to be tamed in some people. And if you wanted to win a war, you needed people who could be inclined to kill, easily.

As the concept of rights was being debated and bastardized in the 18th and 19th century US, the idea that lawbreakers had rights was laughable. Whole states decided to handle this matter on their own. The voting rights act was one of the results of states failing to fall in with the times. They eventually had to be reined in on human rights.

One thing about letting current convicts vote, a lot of those guys can't possibly imagine how their incarceration is their own fault. Indeed many of them blame "the system". Which leads me to think that they have more in common with anarchists (the real kinds, not these recent dorks who obviously chose a party) and have little incentive to vote at all. Why waste time in line for a nation that shits on you?

Might be better to let them start voting from their halfway house instead. When things are improving in their lives.

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Certainly an inmate may refuse to vote . As an adherent of Divine Anarchy I most often choose not to vote . I may
    also avoid jury duty . An inmate probably won't have that particular choice , however , may vote not to retain any of
    the state judges when that voting option is offered .

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

She also released a proposal today to tax the top 75,000 earners in the country to fund student loan forgiveness up to 50k for people who make under 100k

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Oo , that's not great . She has one Great Idea and it's so fine . Please help her .

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

legalize peyote. lmao..

12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So basically what she’s saying is that folks like pedophiles and murders aren’t mentally ok enough to be free in society, but are totally mentally ok enough to vote.

13. unfocusedanakin

The people in your example don't lack the abilty to reason or have an opinion. So yes I would agree they are OK to vote.

What if the murder is a right wing gun owner who shot someone in self defense? They sometimes do go to prison for that and he would probably vote right wing.

14. 6-eyed shaman

Then that person doesn’t belong in jail in the first place

lode and tumbling.dice like this.
  15. unfocusedanakin

First that's REALLY a personal interpretation

Second that would prove they have voter rights and you are wrong.

16. So is labeling someone a murderer, for defending themself.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Its Bernie time..

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

did he just say the boston bomber should be allowed to vote.. ./ funny old man is funny.

19. 6-eyed shaman

Says the guy who claims that people who are sexually attracted to children have the ability to reason.

20. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Most people in prison don't belong there. Not even just the nonviolent ones, but also many of the "violent".