self dehydration??

Discussion in 'Health' started by moonshyne, Dec 28, 2004.

1. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

I don't know if there is really such a thing. Thing is, I stay very dehydrated, because I rarely drink anything. I just don't ever really get thirsty. It sucks because whenever I get sick enough to require a trip to the ER (we don't have any after hours clinics around here, so if you get sick at 2 a.m. it means a trip to the ER) the very first thing they do is stick an IV in me to build back my fluids. I also end up suffering from alot of bladder infections because of it.

My question is, is this an actual condition that exists that causes me to do this, or am I just a weirdo?

2. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Well, condition or not, you aren't treating your body right. It is 70% water, or should be, and you aren't giving it what it needs. Water is the basis of life, so one could say it's the most important thing. It is also a major part your body's system for cleansing itself.

Here's what you do. Decide to drink a certain amount (say, 4 glasses of water) every day, and do it. Keep a bottle of water with you all the time and drink from it. Don't worry about the *8 glasses a day* thing, you probably don't need that much (especially if you don't eat a lot of salty food). Just make sure you get what you need. Your pee should be clear (not cloudy) and light amber or colorless.

You'll feel better, healthier, and maybe won't need to go to the ER again.

3. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

When you go to the ER they usually give intrevenous fluids (the IV), so it's not something rare. When people are sick, they are usually dehydrated anyway.

About never being thirsty- If you make it a habit to drink more water, your body will crave it. Trust me on this.

4. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

Not around here. We have a very shitty ER here, and they don't normally give IVs to people when they're just sick...they like to give em a few pills and send em home as quickly as possible to make room for the 3 a.m. injury rush hour.

Plus, there are other ways I've been able to tell. this is gonna sound gross, so stop reading now people if you don't wanna know the details! when your pregnant, during every single doctor visit they make give a urine sample everytime, and they label it and put it on the counter. Sometimes there would be several cups of pee up there, and you could always tell mine apart from the others because where most people had light to slightly dark yellowish urine, mine would be like dark orange. Always because I don't drink enough water.

I've been working on it here lately though. I try to make a note to drink at least 2 glasses of water in the morning, and 2 more in the evening. It's probably still not enough, but I'm trying to make an effort. :p

5. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

You're doing the right thing. Just take it slow and build up your water consumption slowly. I did the same and after a while I became addicted, and have been for a good year and a half now. I don't quite feel right unless I get my 8+- cups a day. Here's what I do: Fill up my 32 oz. water bottle in the morning and then again in the early afternoon. Easy way to get in 8 cups without much effort. But you probably won't need as much as I do (I'm 6' 0"). 4 or 5 cups is probably just fine, unless you're trying to lose weight.

6. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Member

You should drink a half of gallon a water a day...2.2 literes should do you good...when your dehydrated your body and mind goes through a spin cycle.

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I never used to feel thirst. I don't know why, but it changed when I got pregnant the first time, suddenly I felt thirsty. Many people can't tell when they are hungry, either and that can actuallly lead to OVER eating.

I used to have horrible UTIs all the time and actually went into preterm labor, partially due to dehydration.

You need at least eight 8 oz glasses of water a day to stay hydrated, if you are not pregnant or nursing or sick. Any of the above conditions, and you need even more water.

Things which contain caffeine actually dehydrate you MORE, as does alcohol, as they make you pee more, and put strain on your kidneys.

As you drink more, you will probably be able to recognize thirst again, it is like training yourself to feel hunger again, when you are trying to lose weight.

Carry water with you all the time, I am NEVER without a bottle of water. Every time you walk by the sink (or the counter, if you use bottled water) pour yourself a 4 to 8 oz glass and chug it.

Your urine should be pale yellow and if well hydrated, a womyn is going about 5-8 times in 24 hours. Less pee than that, or dark pee tellls you you need more water.

The hospitals I work with put just about every body on en IV as part of general protocal. Sick and injured people need fluids and medicines, and having a "line open" is a good idea, in most emergent cases. In our hospitals, minor problems, like someone needing some minor sutures ect won't get an IV (unless they are running a fever) but the tests done when you are triaged (when you go into the little room near the waiting room with the nurse and she takes your Blood Pressure, your pulse, your resps ect) can tell her right away that you are dehydrated, which is why they must always put you on and IV.

Now go get a drink of water!!!!!!!!

8. digital 3.0

digital 3.0 Member

I've read, and heard, you need lots of water. Infact, most of the time when you think your hungry, its actually your body telling you that you need water. If you drink lots of water, you'll notice your thirst begins to return.

9. digital 3.0

digital 3.0 Member

Also, to much water can dilute your blood. Its safer to do the ratios yourself, how much you eat, how much physical activity you get, and of course stress and or alcohol will make you need more food along with water.

10. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

That is really scary moonshyne...

my dad lives on the verge of dehydration too..and the other day he worked out too hard took his blood pressure medicine and an anti histomine which totally sucked him dry of any liquid and the results were very scary...i was soooo scared i thought i might loose him..

so plz build up ur fluids...i'm never really thirsty either...only when i eat..but i kinda force myself to take sips of water because i know my body really needs it...plus if i get hungry i drink water if it's not meal time...because it temporarly fills me :)

i hope u get better from this mama...it's a scary thing..

11. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

It's hard to drink when you don't feel thirsty. I have to remind myself to drink all the time, I don't drink near enough either... Never got sick from it though, but I get itchy/ultra-dry skin whenever I do anything, and I know one pack of soy milk isn't enough... can't seem to drink water though, I know it's better but if I don't have my soy milk I'll go for two days without, or just drink a few sips of water and then leave it again... drink something you like, as long as it's not caffienated or alcohol... water's better if you can drink it but something else is better than nothing.

Do you also dislike a lot of flavors in liquid? It's weird, I'll eat anything, can't think of any flavors I just don't like at all, but when it comes to drinks I hardly like anything... most teas I don't care for, most soda's I don't like (too sweet), most fruit drinks are okay for a small cup only... Just wondering if that sounds familiar...

12. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

I agree with everyone above - we are habitual creatures so once you start training yourself it'll become habit.

One of the things I've noticed is if I have water beside me when I'm focused on something else,(e.g. at the computer) I will grab the glass without thinking and after not much time a whole pint has gone! I can't drink a lot at once 'cos my ickle belly gets full so absent-minded sipping is perfect.

Keep drinking! :)

13. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

I've always been similar. I drink 'normal' tea, from 1 - 5 cups a day, I like pure fruit juices but I'm not keen on too much sugar. I like peppermint and chamomile tea and that's it, I've also got to be in the right mood for those.

The think with soya milk, as with cows milk is that it's nutritionally a food so it doesn't work in the same way as just water will. Soya milk always made my mouth dry even tho' I liked it.

14. Elle

Elle Senior Member

That is so true. I get dehydrated alot too and have a habit of drinking alot of caffine and sugar filled drinks and hardly any water...but when I start to actually drink water I begin to crave it more and then drink more as a result.