Segregation

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by Duncan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Do you believe there are times when men should truly be allowed to be with men alone? I had signed up for a weight lifting class (to meet a requirement) and I was amazed that the number of women in the class exceeded the number of men. I wasn't into sweating around that many women. Actually, I'm not all that crazy about sharing gyms with women in general.
    Do YOU believe there are places (other than toilets) where the sexes would best be served separated?

2. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Actually yes.

The gym I go to has a women's only gym, and the equipment is all designed to be used by women. I don't see an issue if there was an all men's gym room either.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Sure, there are womyn's only work out places. The reason people get so upset about men's only "smoking room" type clubs is that BIG business deals are made and sealed in those rooms, without any womyn getting in on any of the action, even if they are in the business.

For what you are talking about, sure. I can understand wanting to work out, or whatever, with only your own gender. My LLL meetings are womyn only (OK, toddler boys are allowed :) ) as that is what works there. I don't work out, but I can understand why you feel that way.

4. spooner

spooner is done.

I'm pretty sure sneaky "womyn" things happen at Curves, but I'm not screaming to ban it.

5. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Nuh uh, Spooner. All the action is at tupperwear parties. ;)

6. spooner

spooner is done.

Boys need Boys' clubs because of all those girls who claim to hate girls and only have guys for friends.

Well, we need a fucking break from them.

7. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

i don't know. i can't really think of a place where i think "man, i wish there weren't any women around." i mean, who cares if you sweat around women in a gym? they're sweating too, and they realize that you aren't going to smell so great. lol, and besides, it's a great place to show off your manly powers. i mean, i think both sexes like to have their "guys night out" or "girls night out". but, that's really not a specific place. i mean, i think in the end, you need to get rid of segragation as much as possiable. as far as men's smoking rooms go, make it understood that it's more of a men's only place, but if a woman comes for some bussiness deal or whatever, it's no big deal. same with any women clubs out there. for example, the sport "golf" is actually an acrynom for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden". that's what it historically is, i'm not trying to make a sexsist joke. lol. and, that obviously wouldn't go over so well today. of course women can golf. but, if you pass a golf course, you usually just see men. i mean, each sex has it's own thing goin, but to say the opposite sex is
    FORBIDDEN to join in is just dumb.

8. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Not at all. I don't think there needs to be any seperation. Men and women's only gyms are idiotic, and I wouldn't give one any business even if I did work out. Maybe I'm weird for not seeing a difference, but there's nothing I'd be comfortable doing around men that I wouldn't be comfortable doing around women. Hell, I wouldn't even care if the bathrooms weren't seperated. As long as they have stalls, no biggie. I can almost see it a little bit for multiple person cans, but the single room ones being seperated is just totally idiotic. No men and women are ever going to be in there together unless they're gettin' it on, in which case I assume they're both okay with it.

9. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

At the college I went to there was a UNISEX washroom, I have never even thought of such a thing. I got the idea of it when the girls in the stalls wouldnt go and leave and just say "You go ahead" I guess I was not suppost to wait in there while they "go" . Washrooms need to be seperated. Gyms also I think are a good idea although I dont regularly go to one my dad fell off the treadmill while we were running because he set it way too fast as there were a couple women running too. That was probably the most embarassing thing I can remember in a long time.

10. spooner

spooner is done.

thats just you, though.

when i was living with james, i used to piss in our bathroom while she was in the shower.

11. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I don't like segregation in any case. BUT! There are times when the male of the species needs to be either, alone, or with other members of the same sex.

(IE: Poker night, Toilet, shopping for clothes, etc...)