"secular humanism"

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by gnrm23, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

condemned as "the worldy religion" of modern times, mandated upon an unsuspecting american populace by educators & legislators & scientist-types with an agenda...

secular humanism...

how congruent is this alleged "belief system" with _others_ often denigrated by jerry fallwell & those of his ilk?
    atheism
    communism
    agnosticism
    satanism
    heathenismn
    paganism
    jeez, maybe even scientism, i dunno... (sometimes i think that the late dr carl sagan strayed into scientism, & his last book was a blast at rampant credulousness...)

)of course, some of the religious right in the USSA lump all of these ummmmm "abberant" beliefs together(

whereas i think that one can hold one, or even many of these seperate belief systems without neccessarily holding them all, hehheh... ymmv...

2. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Is there any chance you might be able to explain what it is you're saying? I'm not being funny, but I've just read that three times, and I still don't have a clue what it means.

(Just a side note, I think most secular humanists would class it as an insult if you called it a "religion", I think that most consedder themselves an antidote for religion, and proving that you don't have to believe in god to be a good person).

3. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

explain? nope...

hey, i WROTE it & i still don't have a clue (or even a clew)...

(thought i was being a wit; turned out i was only half right...)

4. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

perhaps it's all subliminal.

Out of all the definitions for "religion," I think this one suits best that very word: A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

So, religion doesn't necessairly have to be one pursuing a God, or teachings of a spiritual leader ... Or even the United Sovereign States of America (USSA).

Anyone can be made to "believe" anything when they give up their own ability to think, rationalize and analyze. All they have to do is say ... "well, so and so said it so it must be true..." ... as in the case of how some institutionalized organizations treat their written teachings.

Interesting thought ... Secular Humanism.

sec·u·lar
    adj.
    1. Worldly rather than spiritual.
    2. Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
    3. Relating to or advocating secularism.
    4. Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order. Used of the clergy.
    5. Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
    6. Lasting from century to century.

hu·man·ism
    n.
    1. A system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth.
    2. Concern with the interests, needs, and welfare of humans: “the newest flower on the vine of corporate humanism” (Savvy).
    3. Medicine. The concept that concern for human interests, values, and dignity is of the utmost importance to the care of the sick.
    4. The study of the humanities; learning in the liberal arts.
    5. Humanism A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized secular concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome.

humanism

n
    1. the doctrine that people's duty is to promote human welfare [syn: humanitarianism]
    2. the doctrine emphasizing a person's capacity for self-realization through reason; rejects religion and the supernatural [syn: secular humanism]
    3. the cultural movement of the Renaissance; based on classical studies

secular humanism
    n.
    1. An outlook or philosophy that advocates human rather than religious values.
    2. Secularism.

Darrell

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I don't see how it is at all congruent with any of these systems, other than perhaps communism, science and atheism. Thats because all the others believe in a God or at least a 'supernatural' reality, and for them, that is seen as the factor determining their 'moral' attitudes etc.

6. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

7. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

hey, cool site (the whole thing that is, not just that page).