sects

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Penny, May 5, 2007.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

How do you deal with people who act like they've been brainwashed by a cult? Like... they think the enemies are the friends... and the friends are the enemies... and of course if you try and tell them... they yell at you? Or just... act like a brick wall... I've had to deal with quite a few people like that in my life, and even was like that myself at some point! It's hard to wake the fuck up... sometimes it's scary... but... necessary.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've got no clue really. If they're not too close I'd probably just ignore them. It's their problem.

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

true, it is their problem but if you care for them and it involves you then it's also your problem...

I'm just wondering if anybody ever had a friend or relative be involved in an actual cult or just been brainwashed and manipulated to a point where they mistook their best friends for their worst enemies, and vice versa, and how did they open their eyes?

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

one of my best friends, Sophie, who died 4 years ago, got into this circle... and my sister now... and other people I know... it's so sad! you feel so... stuck... and the more you try and help them, the more they think you're manipulating them when it's the others who are and of course they don't see it or don't wanna see it...

5. Asmodean

If it would somebody close to me I wouldn't know what to do to be honest. Never happened to me. But in that case it's highly unlikely I'd ingore it, haha.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's only one way really, if you can't get them to avoid the subject of their own fanatacisms, all you can do is as much as you can, avoid them. and if they keep stalking you to lay their trip on you, that is what cops are for.

i mean i have my own trips, and i don't mean to lay them on anybody unless the pertinent subjects come up and they insist. i'm always interested in new ACTUAL information. as long as it actualy is, and not just some chauvanistic hype.

of course their trip is always an invitation to lay on them yours. once in a while this can be fun. but when it drags on too long this gets real old real quick.

if the're gonna rattle my cage they deserve to get their's rattled back, but most of the time they can go play with themselves.

actualy if it's something off beat enough, that might be interesting. its the mainstream crap that you hear all the time, that and the promoting of biases that are already too mainstream or close enough to it that are offensive to me.

there's another thing people need to understand, or at least as i see it, and that is that all the hype and human coerciveness, is the exact opposite of any kind of real sprituality. whatever else it may or may not happen to be based on.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. Asmodean

What kind of circle is it, Penny?

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

everyone manipulates everyone. that's what human society is. one big clusterfuck of everybody manipulating everyone else. just because one perspective becomes dominant DOESN'T make it any less harmful then hole in the wall perspectives with much smaller numbers of fallowers.

the most dangerous cult in the world today is mainstream protestant christianity. fallowed closely by the economic chauvanism of corporatocracy and its demonizing of everything that doesn't kiss the ass of little green pieces of paper.

=^^=
    .../\...

9. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

no one I know that is involved in an actual cult, but I used that as an example because I know and have known people who have been brainwashed and manipulated and... well I have already explained...

10. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

And by circle I meant they started listening to these people who manipulated them and changed them and they didn't see it they thought it was them, these people became their best friends, and me who was their best friend, and their other previous friends who tried to warn them, their new enemies... and of course everytime I would say it they'd say I'm the one trying to manipulate them... my best friend Sophie died of a coke overdose like that. I don't blame her, I only wish she realized I was her friend, not her enemy... but she was in denial. My sister is thinking my parents, her teachers, and other good kids at her school are assholes while she hangs out with the ghetto people, becomes violent and she is turning into this girl that is not her. These are not the best examples I have, I have others but... I don't feel like mentioning them here. It's just that: like a cult, like a fucking sect... these people they ditch their best friends and the people who truly care for them... and become best friends with people who don't give a fuck but manipulate them because they are fucked in the head or because they want something from them or are jealous or... whatever it might be... and they don't see it, they don't wanna know it, either because they have been so brainwashed already it seems ridiculous to them, or because the enemy party already has so much power and control over their mind, or because it hurts their pride and ego too much to admit they have been used...

11. Asmodean

Right. I kind of know what you mean. I say kind of, because I haven't really experienced something like that that extreme, fortunately.