Science proves modern music sucks.

Discussion in 'Music' started by MeAgain, Jun 26, 2018.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Sometimes I am on a walk and hear music up ahead . Well , very curious . One time I
    thought it was a marching band warming up - nope - it was Tibetan monks playing along
    the river bank .

Moonglow181 likes this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

It's not a choice for a lot of people. They're told what they are supposed to like, and they just go along with it without forming any actual opinions of their own.

In like 65 years of pop music, people are convinced only 15-20 bands are worth a damn.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Music is what you make of it, for none hears music without first listening to the silence. Music presents merely another choice we have between living our dreams, or living our nightmares, but a choice that resonates within the human psyche and soul.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Music is a universal language....

Birds singing is music, too.
    Whale songs and so on.

but yes, I do like silence much of the time, too. :)

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I don’t need science to tell me today’s music sucks, I have a set of ears to tell me that.

6. Noserider

Uh huh, and how much of today's music do you listen to?

Name ten bands to debut in the last 15 years whose musical catalogues you've explored in depth.

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Can you have music in a dream ? Sometimes I do , and it doesn't have to be interesting .
    A friend of mine , though , spoke of dreaming an alien cat-faced creature who played a strange
    lute instrument , and she could sit upon that planet and listen for the longest time . And I thought
    she was very good in describing the music for us .

If modern music is just media-shit consumption ... so tedious . The science of it sucks .

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It isnt hard to find great music these days, if anything I would say there's an oversaturation of good music and it can be difficult to decide what to listen to

But good music is no longer force fed to us on the radio. You have to go hunt for it and do a little digging

Noserider likes this.
  9. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Vision takes up over a third of the brain, and can determine what you hear, not just what you might imagine you heard, but literally what you believe your ears are telling you, which can be totally different from the reality. All of our senses are cross-wired in this fashion, because music is not something you hear with just your ears, but within the sounds of silence within the human heart. If ya got no soul, ya just got no soul, and guilty feet ain't got no rhythm.

Louis Armstrong is an example of a musician with more soul than a dozen musicians, and I don't see anyone close to matching his soul on stage today, that isn't taking vitamin supplements.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Bad music has always existed.

TBH I get sick of older people bitching about how all new music sucks these days. They've been bitching the same phrases again and again, year after year.

There was plenty of horrid music in the good ol' days as well. (Itsy bitsy teeny weeny polkadot bikini comes to mind). It's just that shitty music from that era isn't remembered and played again and again like good classic songs worth remembering from that era.

My guess is they get old and forget the bad songs. When I get old, I hope to have forgotten a lot of shitty songs too.

guerillabedlam and Noserider like this.
  11. hotwater

10 Bands….....….OK

The Christ Killers
    Ovulation Nation
    The 6th State of Matter
    Jubilant Hysterectomies
    Weak Nuclear Force
    Mind Your Own Fucking Business
    Population Inversion
    The Bose-Einstein Condensate
    Resorption Abortion
    Dream Achievers

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

If you limit your definition of radio to FM perhaps, but if you have a Satellite Radio service like Sirius or particularly Streaming Radio Services (Spotify, Pandora) then you don't even have to do any digging.

But perhaps for a lot of people music is inextricably tied to life experiences in a way and at a certain point they don't connect with it. Like I'm into some of the newer metal and I think it's Great Music but I have a feeling if I linked some of that stuff or referred op and some of the others not into newer metal to a pandora station of some of the stuff, they probably wouldn't enjoy it.

13. Noserider

And based on those ten bands, you feel qualified to make the baknket statement that modern music sucks?

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I hear MYOFB is kicking off their tour this Fall!!!

hotwater likes this.
  15. hotwater

Considering the fact that I just made them up, YES

I'm uniquely qualified

Asmodean likes this.
  16. Noserider

I agree with both of your statements, but it was the second thing you said that lingered in the back of my mind when I considered posting some modern music to show that it wasn't all what people thought it was.

I think for a lot of people it's maybe high school or college or mid 20s--I'm not sure exactly--where they draw a line and almost decide they are not going to like any new music from here on out.

17. Noserider

So, you can actually name ZERO bands?

Yeah, you're not exactly an expert on modern music, now are you?

18. hotwater

If I’m not listening to sports while driving, I’m listening to music, and from what I’ve heard over the past 20 years I’m not impressed

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Recorded music is artificially intelligent .

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Soul in music is overrated.