Schools with great music programs?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Lizz, May 22, 2004.

1. Lizz

Lizz Member

I'm looking for a liberal college, perhaps on the west coast or in new england, with an excellent music program, doesn't neccesarily have to be a conservatory. I'm looking to perhaps to be an oboe performance major or something of the like :)

Is Northwestern University any good (in Illinois)? I know it has an EXCELLENT journalism program (I'm gonna do music or journalism on college... my mom was a journalism major there), and I live in northern illinois so that would be great.

2. dspiel

dspiel Member

Woohoo, a potential music major! :)

Yes, Northwestern is fabulous. Absolutely. So if you'd be interested in going there, it's absolutely got great music. For sure.

One of the things you can do is look at schools that also have a conservatory or school of music. So you could study at the regular liberal arts college but get the opportunities that are available on a campus with a music school. So, Northwestern, Yale, Indiana, Hopkins, Rochester, anything like that. Yale gets you at least towards New England. Princeton has a fabulous music department but that's more musicology/composition rather than performance. Oh, and Wesleyan has ethnomusicology if that's of interest.

I did find that one issue is size of a school. If it's too small on the liberal college scale, performance becomes hard because there's barely enough to get an orchestra together and all.

But anyways, yay for a potential music major! And oboes rock.

3. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

try Berkley up in mass.

Shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

4. kozmicblues

kozmicblues Member

The University of North Texas is a fantastically liberal school with an unbelievable music program. Norah Jones went there before moving to New York. Plus, it's in a hip little town just 35 miles north of Dallas/Fort Worth. You should check it out, it has a renowned rep. as an incredibly music school (With a focus on jazz performance)

peace
    ac

5. Jaque Imo

Jaque Imo Up on The Lowdown

University Of North Carolina at Greensboro has a really good music program, its a liberal arts school....and liberal minded. Ben Folds and Emmylou Harris went there. It focuses on performance. Big arts programs! Its in the south, but has an interesting little historical community around it. Its also non-expensive. The city has close to 300,000 people, so there is stuff to do....sometimes. Although its liberal-arts centered, the school has almost 20,000 students.

6. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

UNCG huh,
    my grandfather was a professor there

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Quote: The University of North Texas

A friend of mind went there to study Jazz guitar..............Denton, Texas or something like that?

I hear he is still down there.

8. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

Indiana University in Bloomington is huge, but it there are parts of it that are very artsy and it is supposed to have one of the best music schools in the nation. I considered going there when I was looking at colleges.

9. Lizz

Lizz Member

Thank you for all the suggestions, everybody! It's good to know that I have a variety of choices. Plus, even though it's early, it's better to be better prepared than to enter my senior or junior year with no idea ;)

10. Style

Style Member

One of the schools I looked into attending was http://www.redlands.edu

the University Of Redlands, I wasnt going there as a music major, but they also have a music and art program you might be interested in.

11. neoteny

neoteny Member

I'd check out Oberlin. Granted, the middle of Ohio isn't the most amazing place in the world, but the school makes up for it. You can even do the double degree program which gives you degrees from both the college and the conservatory in five years.

12. Style

Style Member

Interesting. I was watching Eurotrip earlier, and Orelin was the school in the movie.

13. neoteny

neoteny Member

I've been told that is the most ridiculous depiction of the school ever. There is no big river running through campus...

14. SkaBegonia

SkaBegonia Member

Oberlin College is a really funky top liberal arts school but also boosts one of the top music conservatories in the nation. And yea....Berklee College of Music in Boston rocks and its not super hard to get into.