school outside of CA westcoast

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by sef, Jan 24, 2005.

1. sef

sef Member

i live in maryland.
    i want to leave
    i want to learn more somewhere on the west coast...
    i want to leacv here
    affordable...
    oregon?
    it needs to be hip ish

any ideas

2. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Look around in Eugene or Portland...:) Good luck!

3. dhs

dhs Senior Member

Why the west coast intrigue? I can understand wanting to leave Maryland - out of the ten state's I've lived in I would rate it 12th, but don't discount New England.

Vermont is a heck of a place. Check out University of Vermont or if you're looking for something smaller - Johnson State - I think you will be pleasently suprised.

4. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

back in the day ashland oregon was the place, or arcata california, or olympia washington, missoula montana, honalulu. they all have their plusses and minusses, but keep in mind, the ONLY minus in missoula is that its not on the ocean.

5. lynsey

lynsey Banned

humboldt in northern CA is affordable and they have a state university that you just need a 2.2 or maybe even a 2 to get into their undergrad programs. I stayed at the campus a few years ago and had an awesome time. People are way laid back there. Chico CA is pretty liberal but more of a party school I went to check it out before I transfered and it was way too loud and crowded but the people are really nice there. I go to csusm and it's expensive down here and they have the highest tuition out of any csu school but they are a really good and rather small school they don't have many majors but are super specialized in the majors they do offer...plus the weather is awesome down here. The poeple can be a little snotty but the unique classes they offer are worth it. I wouldn't out rule CA just because of costs as there is always financial aid student loans and internships. good luck:)

6. sef

sef Member

hmmm
    looking for a school that ... is affordable... as said
    a school that would be good.
    im interested in philosphy.

right now im looking for places to learn carpentry??
    i really just dont know what i want to do for a living.
    i would like to find a school that would be challenging, yet would leave my oppurtunities open

7. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Go to a commmunity college then--lots of the ones around here have building construction programs. :) Or just go to work with someone. :)