Scary games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GuerrillaLorax, Nov 22, 2018.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Anybody into scary games? If so what are some of your favorites? I know resident evil 7 is pretty crazy. And slender man.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Resident evil 2 freaked me out when I was younger

Matias and guerillabedlam like this.
  3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Same, I think I jumped to about my current height the first time I was going through the corridors of that initial building and zombie arms busted through the glass windows.

I haven't found many other games "scary", some of them suspenseful but also I have not played many newer games.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That game Thief was scary enough for me. Anything with a creepy old psych ward. I actually avoid horror games. There was some space/horror game that I was trying to think of though that I thought would be interesting but didn't play explicitly because of the horror factor... lol. Now I can't even remember its name. oh well.

Matias likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I mus have been about 14 or something I rented it from video store. I just remember my mum knew I was a bit shocked at it and she rang the video store up and asked if I could return it for something else lol. I remember I swapped it for Madden 97, and, well there goes a good chunk of my life right there.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Did you ever get to finish it?

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No, I only played about 30mins worth.
    I had the resident evil game set in Africa but it wasn't the same feeling, it was more a Rambo shoot everything game. I got bored of it.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

RE2 was a pretty amazing game, the still camera thing took some getting used to but the flow of it was great. There were new creatures and puzzles throughout the game and it was one of the first games that I recall having a really fluid storyline.

9. Matias

Matias Members

My brother was into the Resident Evil series and still is. He had me play RE2 and I about that myself.

Not a big fan of scary games at all. I think that experience scarred me for life.

Yeah that game is too scary for me too. And I agree, I completely avoid any type of scary/horror video games and movies.

I prefer the more relaxing and laid back stuff from now on.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

resident evil 2 is the only one i've really played. i loved it (and still do, i just played through it again a few months ago), but i just never happened to follow up with any other similar games.

i think manhunt 2 would technically qualify. i don't know if it's really a "scary" game, but as i remember you play as a guy with multiple personalities who escapes the psych ward and goes on a killing spree, or something like that. it's the only other game i can think of that i've played that is kind of in that same arena.

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I avoid most gory horror games too (same with movies). There has to be something more than just the shock aspect to get me interested. But i would recommend The evil within series to OP.

My fav 'scary games' would be The last of us (fantastic game!) and stuff like Dark souls. But yeah, lots of games with scary aspects i guess. What about the world of Fallout 4 for instance? Alien: Isolation should also get an honorable mention. Although it is more suspense (which i like better than gory shock horror). You're scared of what could happen. Great game really!

12. Asmodean

I also enjoyed Until dawn btw. Anybody here played it? If you like scary movies like Scream you should give it a try. It has fixed camera viewpoints and lots of quicktime movies in which you make critical decisions. Not everyone survives on your first play through, that's for sure. But it is possible to keep everyone alive.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know about the commonwealth so much, but far harbor had a definite creepy vibe that i really enjoyed.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Honestly nothing has been more nerve racking or scarier for me than lining up with 42 other drivers in iRacing ready to take the green flag and plowing into turn 1 as hard as you can hoping for the best. And it's not just me, there 42 others facing the same anxiety. Though usually when you put your foot down on the loud pedal and go, you forget about it a but that first initial warm up lap getting ready to go and the radio goes silent as your team tries to focus, it's pretty scary.

Then usually a late restart I can get anxiety again because you know the race is coming to and end and the intensity is going to pick up 10x more than the start of race.

15. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Yeah Until Dawn was pretty scary for sure! Mostly because of the in-depth character development I'd say.

Outlast is pretty messed up as well. The conspiratorial elements are really neat as well.

16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Only just saw this...
    I enjoyed Until Dawn. Did pretty well the first play through... all the chicks survived (miraculously) and I lost one or two of the dudes.

I might put this on the back burner for a second play.

17. Asmodean

I got it for free through psplus. Love that service! Likely wouldn't have tried Until dawn otherwise, and yes, it was a lot more entertaining than I assumed at first instance

McFuddy likes this.
  18. candys

candys Visitor

I prefer to hang out with friends and like real-life escape room games. Last month my friends and I we booked "Jurassic Escape" room inspired by Jurassic Park here https://www.escape60.ca/ in Calgary. It was probably the most scary escape room that I have ever visited. The decorations were bloody scary and realistic, storyline was great too. I was in completely new reality and our team had only an hour to unlock the door and escape from that terrifying room. It was very exciting. Now I want to solve all rooms in Escape60.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Until Dawn was fun but so unforgiving. The stupid motion controls killed me a few times. And you have to play the whole game over.