scabies??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by TerrapinRose, May 19, 2004.

1. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

Is it possible to have scabies that don't itch??I've got this widespread rash,it started with flea bites and once the fleas were gone the bites stayed but everyone I know said flea bites take ages to heal. Then I noticed new "bites" on my arms,and I know the fleas are gone. Nobody else in my household has this,just me. I have alot of allergies/sensitivities so it's usually me who comes down with these weird things. I've been all over the internet looking at rashes for weeks,and it looks most like scabies,but it's not itchy. I've got no medical coverage and cannot afford to see a Dr on this. Anybody have any scabies experiences?or suggestions? As I said it's not itchy or painful,just sort of gross looking at my husband refuses to really touch me as a result.so it makes me feel sad and yucky,which is painful afterall.

2. Brighid

Brighid Member

if you have scabies, then everyone in your house will have them too. Scabies looks like pencil pricks, little black dots under the skin, and itches like mad. Scabies are mites that burrow and lay eggs under the skin, hence the pencil prick appearance, and are extremely contagious. They will infest soft skin areas like the elbow and knee creases, behind your ears, in the folds of your neck, between the fingers and under the armpits.

I have a feeling the flea bites you suffered may have gotten infected. You could try adding some tea tree oil to your bathwater and soaking in it to kill the infection.

3. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

Well it doesn't look like scabies then,Thanks!I just dunno what this is.It looks kinda like chicken pox (which I had about 6 years ago,nasty nasty thing in adults!) but it doesn't hurt or itch. Beats me what it could be.I am trying the tea tree oil and hoping for the best.

4. Terelda

Terelda Member

Did you have a fever at all??? It could be some kind of viral infection rash...or it could be an allergic reaction to something you ate/came in contact with. Either way I hope it clears up for ya!

5. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

NO fever,nothing like that,just the bumps. It's been a long time though,like a couple months. There are definately new bumps and they are definately not flea bites since the fleas are gone... it's just weird.Of course I have no medical insurance so I just have to figure it out myself.But I'm not sick,itchy or achey:just bumpy.

6. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Just for your knowledge:
    The medication in scabies cream is the same that's in lice spray and shampoo.
    Scabie med says to leave it on for several hours, so I'd assume if you were going to use an alternative, it'd be the same way. Warning though, the stuff is known to cause skin cancer.
    Nail polish covering the scabies is also a good ol' home method that supposedly suffocates the scabies.

Random thought..if mange on dogs in the same as scabies on people (it can actually be given to people by dogs)..then wouldn't the mange shampoo treatment work on a person?

7. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i got a rash like this once on my neck arms and tummy, had to leave work cuz i am sure customers didnt want me making coffee with a rash. i went to the dr and he told me he didnt know what it was, gave me medicine for strep throat and codeine incase my throat started to hurt and sent me home for a week.......................

what the hell....
    i thought i was getting scarlet fever or something but i never did get a fever, just a itchy rash

8. Terelda

Terelda Member

Diluted thyme oil worked for me when I had scabies...and washing EVERYTHING in hot water...