Saying hi to strangers.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by crazylegs, May 27, 2007.

1. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

This evening I rode my bike around town and waved at anybody who would look at me. Many waved back. Some wouldn't even look at me. Some looked straight at me and did nothing. That made me laugh. Finally as I was coming home one of the town's few(besides me) longhaired hippie looking types walked past me. I have said hello to him before and usually he just acts like I am the scum of the earth. Today he was stiffly ignoring me. Just as I passed by him I yelled out "Hi!" and he actually turned and said hello to me quite civilly. Do you say hi to strangers? What kind of reactions do you get?

2. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I often say hi to people when I'm out walking or even in cars (usually then I'll just wave).

Sometimes people think I'm being a "typical smartass teenager," which pisses me off because I truly mean well, but most of the time people respond decently. I'll almost always get a hi/wave back.

I love to be pleasant to strangers, but sometimes they take it the wrong way and think I'm being a smartass....which is unfortunate.

3. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

I hate when all you get is a cold look and a nod of recognition instead of a full on hi. Is it that hard to say a simple one syllable word? Or smile, for that matter? I need affection, lack of affection from people, anybody and everybody, really bothers me.

Older people tend to be more receptive. I had a 30 minute conversation with a complete stranger on saturday that started with just a "hi."...she was about 70, and she was telling me about her father and how he was a truck driver in the 20's. He started driving when he was 12! and since the floors of trucks were just planks of wood, he had to keep a lamp down by his feet to keep them from freezing in the winter. Cool, right? I learned a lot of cool stuff in that 30 minutes...

Ahhh, I love making connections with strangers.

4. awsum! ^^ lol at school i normally smile at anyone that walks past. Most just grease me off =[ but at least a couple smile back lol that makes me happy. Its so easy to do, so i dunno why more ppl dont do it...

peace
    Jane

5. westham

westham Member

i say hello to people in the street.and if they say hello back thats there problem.i know that ive been brought up with respect for my fellow man.

6. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

oh yeah......walking or on my bike, i'll say hi to everyone. I was taugh that that was common courtesy....and i know what you mean, crazylegs, about those people who just stare at you.....pretty funny! but it makes me wonder how they really are....are they miserable people? or did i just surprise them?

....i must admit i have my days when i dont want anyone to acknowledge me, but i still at least give a smile and a nod........

.....you know how I wish we still greeted each other? "How do you do?" It sounds so pleasant to me........

7. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

When I lived in a small town in New Mexico everybody waved to each other whether you knew them or not. Passing another car on the road was always one or two fingers up from the steering wheel. Actually this was the rule more with guys than women. On the road trip back to where I live now I kept getting the wave from guys mostly in trucks of all kinds(I was driving a schoolbus) until about Missouri. Then they stopped waving back. I kept it up for a while after I got here(Michigan) but as notbody ever responded I finally gave up. Now I don't drive but am on my bike mostly so I think that helps.

8. lunarflowermaiden

lunarflowermaiden Senior Member

Whenever I attempt to, some people will ask me how I am doing, most will give me a nod, and a few will give me a blank stare. I used to live in a town where hardly anyone would say hello back. The majority of them were truly very snobby. Where I live now, in the western part of Pennsylvania, there are so many friendly people. I make friends just by being approached in the grocery store. I think a lot of the lack of greetings, at least in larger cities, is due to fear. There is so much violence occurring today that there is a lack of trust, and it is a shame.

9. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Yes I do. As often as I can get out now. The reactions you get are strange, unless you meet the same people each day. Then they can be very friendly once they let down thier guards. I too enjoy studying people.

10. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

i do it alot.
    i get some nice responses, others look at me like they've seen a ghost?
    As if its a shocker to greet someone and ask how their days going.

11. lovejanisandgrace

lovejanisandgrace Estimated Prophet

I always wave, cause I live in a town where I practically know everyone! I love being friendly! ANd I try to give hugs out freely, too. It's amazing how much you can brighten up a person's day with a smile. But some people just don't want to be smiled at. That's alright...let them go.

Crazylegs, nice thread! You're a real hip guy!

12. A.B.E.

A.B.E. Member

I will have to admit that sometimes I get spaced out when I am out and about in the city, and I am caught up in my thoughts about this or that, and I am surprised by someones friendliness when they say "Hi" to me on the street, or "how are you" at the check out line etc.

I really love that these people seem so genuinely friendly, and my usual reaction after thinking how nice and loving they are, is that I would like to be more like that, and to try to remember to step out of my little world of me and my concerns, and smile and relate to others. I am often embarrassed that I might seem distant or cold, and then I try harder to look and see people, and give them a good one. Often the folks who look away or don't reply are just shocked out of their reverie, and just need a minute to get back to reality, they may be very nice people.

Those who smile and try to connect with others, do make the world a better place, and I want to be part of that cordial and loving group.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yes, I do it all the time.

I also start up random conversations with strangers anywhere I am.

14. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

Yeah old people are the best. Really interesting too.

15. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

I am usually to shy to say anything back

16. rebubla72

rebubla72 Member

i grew up with my Mom waving to everyone and i picked up the habit. the weird thing is when i lived in small town onyl the people that lived further in the country would wave back but the ones in town just looked at me like i was going to eat their young. now that i'm back in a small city it's about 50/50.

17. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

hehe...when I was little my mom used to always, without fail, honk and wave whenever we passed a field of cows.

18. lovejanisandgrace

lovejanisandgrace Estimated Prophet

My favorite is the beep and wave, or what my choral director in high school called the "weep and bave." It goes a-like dis: Driving along, you and yourself or passengers wait for a group of people to walk by, and then honk the horn and wave in the opposite direction.

People get really confused.

19. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

yes i do and sometimes they smile. others don't. but when you smile at some people who obviously have a sourpuss look on their face sometimes they genuinely smile back. that always makes me feel good.

20. Shinigami002

Shinigami002 Member

used to be a past time of mine to start up convorsations with people but i kinda stopped when i got into college, trying to start back up again but i'm wayyyyyyy outa practice in talking to people.