Saw Kill Bill, didn't like it

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 12, 2004.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

So I finally decided to rent the much praised Quentin Tarantino flick Kill Bill last night. I've never been much of a Tarantino fan, and find him to be quite overrated. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were good movies, if not a tad overrated themselves. But what I saw last night really changed my mind about Tarantino, who is clearly trying to cash in on his successes of ten years ago. Basically what I am saying is that he's milking it for everything he can get out of it.

Frankly, movies such as Kill Bill do a good job of highlighting exactly what I hate about Hollywood movies. There is a lot of style and much for the eye to take in, but little in the way of substance. I am not fazed by meticulous choreography and super-sleek special effects. It's been done before. It's old already. It's predictable and completely unmoving. It's just really cheesy, I think.

This movie was adolescent at best. The acting was bland, and the storyline was hardly original or creative, let alone downright laughable at times. Tarantino seems to have little more than a knack for incorporating elements from previous genres into his movies with the aid of the latest state-of-the-art technology.

When I watch a movie like Kill Bill, I feel like what I am watching is much more of a Hollywood production than a Tarantino production. Anyone can make a movie like Kill Bill with the right technology, the right influences, and a lot of money.

So am I alone in my feelings for this movie? Please tell me I am not crazy.

If you liked Kill Bill, are there any aspects to American movies that you don't like?

2. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

I saw it. It was ok, I guess. Not my favorite. Too uhh.. What's the word for it? Flashy?

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Never seen it. Never thought about seeing it.

4. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I admit that I have 0 interest in ever seeing it. Everything you just said about it is exactly what I assumed would be the case.

5. Dustinthewind

Dustinthewind woopdee fucking doo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ya what marc said! :)

6. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I don´t really want to see it either. Some of his earlier works were decent, but I´ve never been a fan.

I prefer minimal film making. So many modern movies lose their feel through technology (ab)use.

7. Pressed_Rat

I was almost certain that people would be biting my head off by now.

8. antithesis

antithesis Hello

That's what I think too Gary, which is why I prefer foreign films. They seem to be so much more about the story instead of slick technological filming.

lol, you were wrong Matt.

9. Pressed_Rat

Yes. Foreign films are the best. Not always the best storylines, but the best cinematography and lighting.

Actually, the reason I even rented the movie is because I have heard a lot of my fellow Hipforum brethren raving about it.

10. Main St Wizard

Main St Wizard Member

Hey Quentin's never been about solely technology.. didn't you see Reservoir Dogs, it looked like something I recorded in my garage with my 80s camcorder. The man's work is all substance, just wrapped in ironic appearance.. Perhaps you should see Volume II before you dismiss the film, after all the volumes form one whole and you wouldn't criticise something based upon the weaknesses of one half of it, now would you?

11. Main St Wizard

Main St Wizard Member

And you don't the influence of the French new wave cinema upon Tarantino's works? Each one of his films have tributes to Jean-Lunc Godard..

Speaking of which, didn't this site used to have a film forum?

12. seamonster66

If I was halfway through a very long 2 part film like that and not impressed, I doubt I would want to continue.

13. Pressed_Rat

OBVIOUSLY I wasn't referring to Reservoir Dogs like I was the later ones.

14. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I have heard that the second vol. is better than the first and that it has more of a story.

I swear if someone wants to see a good movie, they should see "Dark Days" or "The Road Home"

15. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Yeah, where did the film forum go? I was wondering that too....

16. Pressed_Rat

I've seen MANY Jean-Luc Goddard movies. Weekend is one of my favorites.

Homages don't interest me. What Goddard was doing was groundbreaking. What Tarantino is doing isn't.

17. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Yeah, homages are what people do who can't come up with a unique idea of their own.

18. seamonster66

Good movies from the classic era up through the 70´s were filmed without amost of the technology used in big budget hollywood, and they look so much better. Studios cared about their artistic reputations.

It´s mostly the editing that started in the 90´s that annoys me. Too fast edits, too many unnecessary close ups.

In a way its led to the over use of beauty over talent.

19. Pressed_Rat

One of my favorite movies is David Lynch's Eraserhead, which is probably one of the most crudely-recorded movies to ever gain a wide audience. The outcome was stark, beautiful, and unlike nothing any technology could ever produce.

20. seamonster66

I wonder if David Lynch is working at the moment. It seems we´re about due for a new one from him.