Sangha Chat.

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by Fairlight, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I broke my retreat a bit 'cause I had to pop out a couple of times,but have been in a retreat kind of vibe! Housework got done and relations repaired somewhat.Finding peace in the face of adversity.

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Well you are not retreating to conform but to mend and build so you don't get to take points off for breaking your retreat a bit.

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I finally spoke to my ex-girlfriend,having not spoken to her for over two years,just the odd text.We had a great conversation.She is pretty deep into Buddhism and has invited me to Thic Nhat Hanh's sangha here in central London.Thic isn't there himself as he lives in Plum Village in France,and has been unwell,but is now apparently doing okay.I'm excited to see my ex and meet some other Buddhists,and we both thought it would be a good place to meet where we will both behave,as towards the end of our relationship we argued a lot.I am just so happy about all of this.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I have The Dhammapada.I'm not reading it,I'm just resting my head on it under my pillow.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Ah..the old osmosis of knowledge by contagious magic trick....

6. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

So the deeper I get into it the realer it becomes.It is perhaps only in the last 10 days or so,as my life came to a crux,that I have truly begun to understand Buddha and the additions that his disciples over many centuries have made.I have made great strivings to achieve what I call RELATIVE enlightenment,so far as it is possible in my present life-world as I face some of the greatest challenges of my existence.That is to say,I feel somewhat lighter,which is what this amounts to.To let go of fear,to have less remorse for the past and less worry for the future,this wisdom of the Bodhisattvas should not be taken in vain.I join in sangha with the countless million practicing Buddhists worldwide,giving thanks that my life-path has risen to this high and narrow path,yet so very low.Make haste,peace is always available whatever the moment arises as appearance to mind.This way is not for everyone,but by the will of all Tathagatas let she who finds it never let it go,as the wain turns.I liberate myself from my sufferings so that all may be liberated from theirs,and vow to never err from this path,from moment to moment,I wish this for all,even the worst amongst us,let us meditate upon the cure for all sickness of our deluded perceptions,let us tarry no more with glamour and worldly prestige.As the compassion and right-thinking grows like a ripening seed inside the heart,we can learn to see Buddha nature in everyone,even our enemies,and grow to see them as our greatest friend.Hurt not with words,thought and actions.Make haste,monks,and redouble your efforts effortlessly - who could resist this sweet nectar of freedom.

A simple message from an idle traveler,here I abide,yet nowhere,neither coming or going,I beseech you,in this I trust.

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Wow.Did I write that? Was I high?

I went to The Thic Naht Hanh affiliated sangha here in London on Saturday,with the ex-girlf.Buddhists are weird.I kind of treated it as an experiential encounter group.I will go again.It's helpful stuff.

8. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The Dalai Lama was wearing an MIT visor when I saw him last Friday in Kresge Auditorium. Most of the talk was about the moral responsibility to prevent global warming.

9. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

That's good.It's good for Buddhists to engage in real world social praxis.A little bit of Buddhism in society could go a long way.Mindfulness had become a big thing in psychology and psychiatry here in the UK and is even practiced in some psychiatric institutions,albeit in a practical watered down way.

1 person likes this.
  10. deepblue897

deepblue897 Member

namo guru be
    namo buddhaya
    namo dharmaya
    namo sangha ya

hi guyz.. im reading "tibet's book of death.. totally interesting.. anyone read it before?

11. MeAgain

Long time ago.

12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Do you mean the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

I read it back in the '60s but don't remember much.

I'll give it a read again :)

13. deepblue897

deepblue897 Member

yes, that one.. in the book, the writer says it must be read at least three times in your life..

very interesting that, it gives happiness to the reader..

yeah, read again :)

14. MeAgain

If anyone remembers Tim Leary, Ralph Metzner, and Richard Alpert (Ram Dass) wrote a book called The Psychedelic Experience based on the Tibetan book.

It was supposed to be a guide for the use of psychedelic drugs.

Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles was also based on both The Psychedelic Experience and the Tibetan book of the Dead.

http://youtu.be/IUMFp0F6mp0

15. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Too bad about the video I know the song well... I can play it in my head any time I want to hear it.

And the books are truly enlightening.

16. MeAgain

Oops it worked when I embedded it.

Here's a version by Los Lobos:

http://youtu.be/ei2i1NelYV0​