San pedro drying

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by desert nightmare, Jun 29, 2006.

1. desert nightmare

desert nightmare Senior Member

I was wondering how to dry some san pedro without having some mold or somethings grow on it? After i dry some I plan to put it in a coffee grinder and then put the powder in some capsules. Is that a good idea?

2. stalk

stalk Banned

it'll turn into jerky out in the sun.

i try my cacti on the roof :]

3. stalk

stalk Banned

well, not the whole cacti,

but the outer green skin

(((((((((((((oooo psychedelics))))))))

4. desert nightmare

Would it be best to cut it into peices first, or not? Also how long sould this process take?

5. stalk

stalk Banned

Doesn't matter if you cut it up.
    You should have strips of green jerky.

Just dry it for a couple days until its just like jerky. You'll know.

6. bamboo

bamboo Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I bought a cheap food dehydrator at the local wally world (not for cactus but for herbs) and it was too hot for my liking. Studied on it a bit and bought a light dimmer. I took the dehydrator apart, drilled a hole in the side of it for the shaft on the dimmer and then wired the heating coil thru the dimmer. I left the fan circuit alone as you don't want to run an ac motor thru the dimmer...hard on the fan motor. Anyway, the thing works great now and I have complete control of the temp in the thing. Since the initial investment I have added a lamp timer that I plug it into so I can turn it on for what ever period of time I want without being there to shut it off. Total investment wasn't squat, for a cool tool.

7. mkc414

mkc414 Member

Do you peel the skin off before you dry it?

8. mkc414

mkc414 Member

Do you peel the skin off before you set it out to dry? Or does drying make it easier to seperate from the skin?

9. stalk

stalk Banned

Yes.

Cut the skin off.
    Freeze the the skin.
    Thaw it, and peel off the xylem (the weird outer shell to the cacti, it's very thin in and clear)

Then dry the dexylemed skin til it turns into jerkey.
    Pulverize,
    ingest.

10. desert nightmare

whats the best way to pill the skin off? because last time i has some san pedro i could nly manage to pull it off in many little pieces. How can i get it off with less of these little pieces?

11. stalk

stalk Banned

Heh I told you,
    Freeze it,
    unfreeze it.

It'll be easier.

Or you can just keep it on there if you're lazy.

Don't reccomend that, though - -

Very hard to digest.

12. Stiney

Stiney Member

I've found that the best way by far to peel the skin is to cut the cactus into stars (you know what I mean by that?) and then just take a knife or razor blade and cut under the skin a bit on the stars and then all the skin on that piece should peel straight off in one go. Even just cut it into 3 or 4 big chunky stars. You peel around the diameter of them not from top to bottom. Thats the best I can explain it, but its the easiest way by miles, takes maybe 10 mins max.

13. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

i heard that if you try it, the clear outer shell part will stay intact and you can just powderize the part of the skin that you want. anyone else heard of this method