San Francisco

Discussion in 'California' started by Maggie Sugar, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

We are going to SF in a few weeks. We are planning on seeing the regular stuff, like Haight Ashbury, Fisherman's Warf, Alcatrez ect. What else is there that we shouldn't miss? What is off the beaten track that all Good Hippy Families need to see?

We will be with my dh and I, our 17 year old dd, our 15 year old ds, and our 6 year old dd. (Our 20 year old opted out, OMG!)

Also, what is the best place for Sushi in SF and is Trader Vic's still around?

Thank you all.

Maggie and Bear

2. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Check out post #9 (mine)
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138228

BTW whats a dh ds and dd? darling husband? darling sister? darling daughter?

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I love San Francisco. I used to live just off the Haight. In addition to duncan's suggestions go visit City Lights Books in North Beach. Eat a veggie burrito from Chabellas on lower Haight street.
    [​IMG]

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Also, go see Cliff House and Seal Rocks. I'm trying to remember my favorite Sushi place. It's off Union Square about lower Nob Hill and tucked off in a side street. If I remember I'll post it. It was sooooo good.

5. Duncan

When folks ask what they should do in San Francisco, I want to pull my hair out. The City is as diversified as those who live there. I lived there for many years and I return at least once a year. Each time I go back I always manage to explore and find some place I hadn't been before.

Friend of mine who hosts my stays lives in the Excelsior. While it's not a part of the city that I would boast about (it's rather blue collar), it still is an area that should be noted for its historical value. It's also extremely close to McLaren Park.

Get Italian deli and make a sandwich and people watch in Washington Square Park.

Find a Roman Catholic Church that is about to close down and take in a service (maybe Sacred Heart on Fillmore).

Go to Baker Beach and look for the calalillies in bloom

Eat Chinese food in the Richmond.

Go to Broadway and Jones and look at the view.

Go to Diamond Heights on Market Street/Portola Drive and take in a magnificent visa at Argent.

Find a hotel that serves tea.

Go to Japantown and take in a sauna at the Kabuki.

Take a ferry ride somewhere.

Visit the windmill near the zoo.

Check out the octagon house.

Go to the downtown library.

Find an epicure shop (Say Cheese, for example).

Drink good coffee.

Take a guided walking tour
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D21A41D3D

Check out some head shops on Market Street (near Jones).

See Beach Blanket Babylon.

Go to the tattoo museum.

Eat an Ethiopian meal.

Visit Berkeley.

Shop at the Rainbow Grocery Store.

That's it for now. I'm homesick now :(

6. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Duncan...you're list makes me want to go to SF. :p

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Dd= Dear Daughter, Dh- Dear husband (or damn husband) ds- dear son. You were close

Thank you. I will check into the other thread. Thanks, Duncan, I wish I didn't have to ask, but neither Bear or I have ever been there, and we only have five days, keep your hair. :) (Uh, church, I dunno.....;) )

8. Duncan

9. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Michael Angelos italian resturaunt, union square if you like to shop, MOMA for sure-my favorite gallery in the world sigh I am so jealous!!! Have fun!!!!!!

10. Duncan

If it doesn't happen in this lifetime then I certainly want my next one to have me come back as a rich white boy who was born and raised in San Francisco and opted never to leave :)

11. Dreadlock-PUBES

Dreadlock-PUBES Banned

12. Jimi_Lives

Jimi_Lives Member

The Castro and all through Market street is a pretty happening place too. And Duncan, I shop at Rainbow Groceries all the time! I applied for a job there over the summer, but ended up working at the Exploratorium instead.

*Edit: Oh yeah! The Exploratorium is also a must-see when in the city. It's also PERFECT for the kids.