Salt Water Question

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by BFG_Rob, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BFG_Rob

BFG_Rob Banned

Been noticing folks here talkin' a lot about using salt water on their dreads. What are the benefits to this besides the cleansing factor?

Thought I read someone say that after spraying their dreads with salt water, they should let them air dry, but wouldn't that promote moldy dreads? Or wouldn't it because it's salt water? I only barely passed science in high school *LOL*.

Thanks!

2. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

Sea Salt mixed with water and sprayed on the locks will help dry the hair and create friction so more knots are produced. It can be useful while the locks are developing but I personally don't use it. It dries out my scalp pretty bad and it reminds me of Florida which I don't like :) As for air drying I air dry my locks after every wash... never had any mold problems... Mold predominantly afflicts people who use wax as it traps moisture and promotes mold growth. Hope this helps :)

3. sped

sped Member

They'll go mouldy if they take ages to dry. This time of the year in your part of the world... might be a hassle. But this time of the year in my part of the world its great :D

Secondly, it helps your dreads because.... salt dries your dreads yeah? So drier dreads means more friction, mor friction means more knots :D

4. BFG_Rob

BFG_Rob Banned

You've both helped a lot. Answered questions I forgot I had. Thanks much!:)

5. JKaiya-Leaves

JKaiya-Leaves Member

I air dry mine anyway and if there taking longer then about 10 hours ill finish them off with the hair dryer...

dry hair is good but drying your hair with a hair dryer all the time will eventually encourage brake age of your dreads....hair dryers are not good for hair really...

6. telephone

telephone weird

Is it bad to use regular table salt instead of sea salt in the salt water mix?

7. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

others may disagree, but i think yes, it's bad. table salt has nasty stuff in it, like iodine and shit... it's gross. the more natural stuff you use, the better, imo. it shouldn't like, totally kill your dreads but sea salt is way better. makes my dreads tighten up, straighten out and jump for joy! i usually spritz them the day after i wash, so they're not so soft and limp anymore.

8. ezydriver

ezydriver Member

I've just started using a sea salt and water spray. I've added lemon juice too.
    I'm not sure if its working yet, because I only started using it yesterday. I'll keep you posted.

9. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

yeah don't use table salt as it is iodized. You want just plain old sea salt. A little acidity like Lemon juice is good to!

10. drew_tattoo

drew_tattoo Member

whats the point in the lemon juice? i thought it might make em stick together a bit cause its sticky but goatboy sez "A little acidity like Lemon juice is good to!" so im guessing theirs something else to it?

11. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

the acidity helps dry the dreads out, which makes them knottier. plus if you go out in the sun, it'll lighten them. :)

12. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

ewww! :) I would never want anything sticky in my locks. Along with drying your hair out and lightening it lemon juice also makes your hair more shiny which is always a bonus :)

13. Youth_of_america

Youth_of_america Member

I rather hate the smell of the salt in my hair afterwards, does anyone know if putting some type of scented oil would help it smell a bit better?

14. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

i use tea tree oil which smells better than bad but not necessarily good... and when I have a hot date I use sandalwood oil... I've never had any problems with those and I'm sure patchouli oil or most other oils would be alright. How much and what kind of salt are you using because salt shouldn't have much of a smell if its straight sea salt... Iodized salt on the other hand could have an odor but you shouldn't be using this.

15. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

Rob~ I live in the Spencer/Owego area!! Glad to see another local 'round these parts! Try my Deep cleaning concoction!!! Yes, salt has antiseptic and anti fungal properties, as does the lemon and tea tree, thats why when they're all mixed together it does magical things to your locks!!!

16. SlydeHippie

SlydeHippie Banned

Anyone know where to go about to get Sea Salt?

Excuse my ignorance, still a rookie.

17. drew_tattoo

drew_tattoo Member

yea sea salt can easily be found at any local grocery store

18. TakedaDaKid

TakedaDaKid Members

So I had a question too. I have curly type hair and I was wondering do I use the salt and water method only when I wash my hair? Or on a everyday basis ? I wanna know so I can try it out.

1 person likes this.