Salade Niçoise

Discussion in 'Salads' started by Duncan, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[size=-1]I agree with most of this. My salade niçoise has spinach in lieu of lettuce. I also add freshly ground black pepper and include either a red or green sweet pepper. And I can do without the anchovies :)[/size]

[size=-1]The beauty of Salade Niçoise lies in its presentation - a medley of color, flavor and texture. The true Salade Niçoise does not include green beans or potatoes but the classic one does, along with tomatoes, black olives and garlic. This recipe serves 6.

[/size]
    3[size=-1] tomatoes - quartered [/size]
    [size=-1]3 hard boiled eggs - halved [/size]
    [size=-1]3 cups (about 1 pound) snap green beans - trimmed and blanched[/size]
    [size=-1]3 medium-sized potatoes - cooked and sliced[/size]
    [size=-1]1 cup cooked or canned tuna (drained) - chilled and shredded[/size]
    [size=-1]15 to 20 black olives[/size]
    [size=-1]1 sweet red or white onion - sliced into rings[/size]
    [size=-1]1 teaspoon minced garlic[/size]
    [size=-1]4 tablespoons olive oil[/size]
    [size=-1]1 tablespoon vinegar[/size]
    [size=-1]1 teaspoon Dijon mustard[/size]
    [size=-1]1 head butter lettuce - washed, dried and chilled[/size]
    [size=-1]6 to 8 canned anchovy fillets - rinsed[/size]
    [size=-1]tarragon or basil leaves for garnish[/size]

[size=-1]1. [/size][size=-1]Prepare tomatoes, eggs, beans, potatoes, tuna and onion. [/size]
    [size=-1]2. [/size][size=-1]Combine garlic, oil, vinegar and mustard in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. [/size]
    [size=-1]3. [/size][size=-1]Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter or individual plates. [/size]
    [size=-1]4. [/size][size=-1]Arrange the prepared ingredients and olives on the lettuce-lined platter or plates in separate clusters. [/size]
    [size=-1]5. [/size][size=-1]Drizzle the vinaigrette over the ingredients just before serving. Place anchovy fillets over the top. [/size]
    [size=-1]6. [/size][size=-1]Garnish with tarragon or basil leaves.[/size]