Safe Yeast Infection Treatments while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by FunkyPhreshMama, Aug 26, 2005.

1. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Hey I am about 38 weeks pregnant now and still on hold with the advice nurse at the dr. office I go to. have been on hold for an hour HAHAhA what treatments for a yeast infection are safe for baby????????? i tryed to make an apointment but they cant see me till probly after i have the baby cuz they are all booked.......FUCKERS!

2. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

never mind.... my doc called earleir and told me what i can take =)

3. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

if you don't want to take something, or it doesn't help (the stuff my doc gave me helped for about a week, and then i needed more) you can peel a clove of garlic, score the sides, and put it "there" overnight. Sounds really weird (and yes, you do smell a bit like some sort of Italian dish the next day) but it works! Everyone who suggested it to me said to do it three nights in a row, but one night really keeps it away for quite awhile (and it's not comfortable anyway).

4. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

thanks for the advice

5. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

So just out of curiousity what did the doctor end up recommending to you FunkyPhresh?

6. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Lotramin otc.................... He said the pills (diflucan) havent been tested enought to know if they are safe or not...

7. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

slap a bit of natural greek yoghurt on....it'll clear it up...

8. lace_and_feet

Very interesting, isn't that stuff made for athlete's foot?

9. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

he said it should be in the same place as the monistat.....

10. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I've actually taken Diflucan during pregnancy and they are VERY safe during breastfeeding. It is best to get rid of that yeast before the baby is born, so you don't have to worry about thrush in the both of you.

Lotrimin is fine and safe, just use it as directed.

Lace, athlete's foot and vaginal yeast infections are VERY close organisms. They both respond to broad spectrum antifungals. It is MUCH more effective than yogurt or any other food you may put in your yoni. And, if you do beleive the food ideas about yeast, dairy increases yeast growth.

I would NOT use garlic IN your vagina during late pregnancy. It CAN cause local irritation, and your vagina is VERY sensitive this time of pregnancy. You don't need a local chemical burn. Stick with the Lotrimin or the Monistat. They are both fine.

11. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

well i got the equate version of monistat, LOL the wal mart brand and it worked just fine. and most definately will not be trying the garlic, my poor crotch woldnt be able to handle it!

i was worried this damn infection woldnt heal up before i had the baby since i am so close to my due date but I think its all good now, I am just going to eat some yogurt and less bread and hope it doesnt come back..... =)

12. Maggie Sugar

Acidophilus which is enterically coated (Primadophilus, Nature's Way is my favortie) is actualy more effective than a gallon of yogurt, and easier to take, too. And you won't be adding dairy to an already comprimised immune system.

13. Oz!

erm...yer don't eat the yoghurt, yer put it on the itchy bits (have you girls never heard this before? )

14. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

yeah they arent itchy any more... i know you put plain yogurt there when it is infected but eating it has vitamins and such that should help prevent it

15. Oz!

i always thought "live" foods like yoghurt, soft cheeses and unpasturised milk were best avoided during pregnancy? could be wrong tho'....i got the wrong plumbing to ever have to worry about it :)

16. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

im sure it will be fine, i was just advised to stay away from fish and pretty much anything ocean or lake related...............................

17. merrijayne4

merrijayne4 Member

my daughter now 11 use to get really bad diaper rash and i found out it was a yeast rash that irritated her skin so bad. nothing but lotrimin ever worked her skin was so sensitive. and the yogurt is excellant in late pregnancy it helps to raise your pain threshhold for labor. i always ate as much yogurt as i could in the last few weeks. be careful though to much can deplete your vitamin C levels. some women take some extra vitamin c too.

18. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

thanks merri =)

19. Maggie Sugar

One thing to remember. More than 80% of any given population is allergic to dairy products. Yogurt is NOT a magical food. It IS dairy, and if you are among the 60% to 80% of the population who actually has bovine dairy allergy (you probaby don't even know it) you will be increasing your own mucous production, compromising your immune system and maybe senstising your baby to dairy herself.

You are much better off with NON dairy probiotics. There is nothing in dairy that you can't get from other, better, sources. Your immune system should be in top form for labor, and I have never seen any evidence that Cow Protein can increase your pain tolerance. Only preparation for labor can do that.

Good luck on your upcoming labor, Funky.

20. lace_and_feet

Maggie Sugar, how can one tell if they are allergic to dairy?

And thanks for the response about lotrimin and fungus...I never knew that but it is very interesting to know.