?'s on Urban Grower method of cultivating

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by PIGMY, May 22, 2007.

1. PIGMY

PIGMY Member

Im interested in the way he constructs his grow rooms, but I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding everything correctly.

It seems like he doesn't believe in IN/OUT ports. His rooms are completely sealed off except for an exhuast fan mounted high in the room used ONLY in an emergency situation to cool off the room if for some reason the temp begins to climb to an extremely high level.

Rather than bringing in fresh air with an IN-port, he relies on CO2 supplimentation to keep the levels at the proper level.

He relies on an AC unit, and air cooled shades to keep the room temp at an acceptable level. And a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in check.

Also his odor control setup is totally self contained within the room.

Am I understanding all this correctly? And Also what are the pros and cons of a grow room designed this way?

I figure it would probably be easier to control the atmosphere with a room like this. And pests/diseases might be less common with a totally sealed off room. But the cost to run the AC units (on top of everything else) might get pretty steep. And with no fresh air being brought into the vegging room you would be required to supply CO2 throught your vegging cycle also.

Please let me know what you guys think of this kind of system, and if I've seemed to understand everything correctly. Thanks everyone.
    PIGMY
    [​IMG]

2. posedat

posedat Member

dude... there are alot of things you got wrong... all the above could be done.. but you would need alot of time and effort to assure a good functioning of the room.. not to mention money and authorisations... i don't know if you can buy CO2 cans without auth. in the states.. but in my country it's not just like buying a can of coke...
    so.. down to the nitty gritty.. first of all... you don't really need an exhaust fan if you got A/C and CO2... air gets out on it's own...
    as for the high temps you were worrying about... you usually make sure that the conditions are ok before you bring in the babies... TEST YER ROOM MATEY...arghhhh :)
    ODOUR.. if the room is so sealed off from any unwanted witnesses... you don;t need any... but in the case you do... you need the whole exhaust/ intake system... because you have to direct the airflow through filtering systems...
    if you look at peoples grw rooms.. you will see there is no ONE WAY to do it... there are so many variations on the topic no one can count them...
    only advice anyone can really give you is... STUDY GROWING LIKE HELL.. think of a grow setups... discuss it with the more experienced people over here... and then get with the frankenstein program and experiment on your own...

3. PIGMY

PIGMY Member

I dont think you read my post correctly. I would give this site a visit (http://www.urbangrower.com/) and then give my thread a 2nd chance. Thanks though for the reply.

PIGMY

4. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Hey PIGMY!

What's up? Damn I'm pissed!!! I just spent all afternoon (literally) writting a Pulitzer Prize quality reply to your questions, then the fuckin' "Preview Post" button ate the damn thing - SHIT!!! I'll try again, maybe tomorrow - SHIT!!!

5. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

First the obvious. All growrooms need co2. "Normal" air contains about 300-350 ppm (parts per million) of co2. Most growers maintain this level of co2 by constantly ventilating fresh air through the room. This method is very popular and well understood by successful growers everywhere. Another stratigy is to add "pure" co2 to the existing air to replace what gets used up. The second method doesn't require transfering a lot of air, but everything else remains fairly normal.
    This is where it gets interesting. As it turns out, there are certain benefits to adding extra co2 to the air. Up to about five times the normal amount (about 1,500 ppm). A room running 1,500 ppm co2 may get a 30-50% increase in bud production and operate at over 90 degrees farenheit with no ill effects. Remo adds even more, his "perfect growroom" has 1,800 ppm of co2 (six times normal). That is a lot (perhaps excessive) and the concentration is so high that it requires different methods to contain the high concentration of co2 that give these "bonuses". All of his methods hinge around his use of extra co2! Helium is lighter than air, it will just "drift away" if it is not contained. Co2 is heavier than air but it, too, will just drift away if not contained. This is why Remo's rooms are built differently - it's a trade off that he makes in order to take advantage of using the extra co2. The rooms have to be sealed up to contain the high concentrations of co2.

"He relies on an AC unit, and air cooled shades to keep the room temp at an acceptable level. And a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in check."
    Without ordinary ventilation these machines are needed, it's all a trade off.

"Also his odor control setup is totally self contained within the room."
    Without a ventilation system to hook into, the odor, mostly, stays in the room so that is where he deals with it.

"Am I understanding all this correctly? And Also what are the pros and cons of a grow room designed this way?"
    I think it's just a matter of understanding that a fortified co2 room has to be designed and operated differently. In my humble opinion this type of set up is really only suited to a "Power Grower" - big commercial op or a medical commune. Or maybe a personal grower that has to have "the best".
    Pro's: faster growth, bigger yields, allows higher operating temperature (plants will thrive at 90+ degrees farenheit).
    Con's: More complicated - you have to relearn lighting and feeding techniques in order to maximize the accelerated growth, several hundred dollars for a system, plus the added cost of buying and running the peripheral equiptment.

"I figure it would probably be easier to control the atmosphere with a room like this. And pests/diseases might be less common with a totally sealed off room."
    Yep!

"But the cost to run the AC units (on top of everything else) might get pretty steep. And with no fresh air being brought into the vegging room you would be required to supply CO2 throught your vegging cycle also."
    Yep again! But don't forget, the AC only has to keep the room down to about 90f., or so, that makes it more reasonable. Also, many "co2 growers" only add extra co2 during the flowering cycle, using more conventional ventilation during veg. Co2 is only used by the plant while the lights are on, so at "night" all the air is usually pumped out to allow fresh air (oxygen for the roots) to replace it.

"Please let me know what you guys think of this kind of system, and if I've seemed to understand everything correctly. Thanks everyone.
    PIGMY"
    Like I said: "In my humble opinion this type of set up is really only suited to a "Power Grower" - big commercial op or a medical commune. Or maybe a personal grower that has to have "the best".". Personally, I'll just stick with my wimpy little fans!

6. lune

lune Senior Member

If you're in an apartment, then I wouldn't go over 1000w per bedroom. I would think that a few k lights, plus co2 generators, PLUS the ac units would go waaay over that limit, but I'm no expert. I think running a normal exhaust would be much more efficient and cheaper.