Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Wolfman's Brother, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

- It is now outlawed to be ‘out and proud.’

-Russian president Vladimir Putin has signed a controversial law that punishes people for “homosexual propaganda.” The law fines people including tourists—up to 200,000 rubles ($6,240 CDN) for “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.”

-According to Voice of Russia, any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent, and risk spreading Western liberalism ROFLOL

Source: http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/...er&utm_content=bufferc7df4&utm_medium=twitter

2. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Are you sure?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We should just nuke that fucking country into orbit.

4. StoneFeather

StoneFeather Member

We would all be in orbit if that ever happened.

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Great, they're hosting the Olympics.

6. odonII

odonII O

Has a whiff of untruthfulness to me.

7. Aerianne

8. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I remember reading somewhere (NO, I do not have links :) ) that Russia is indeed doing all they can to stop acceptance of anything other than "traditional" opposite sex relationships. I think it was a brief blurb in the local paper here. I do remember the article mentioning a fine for any same-sex couples that were "publicly demonstrative" (or something similar).

9. odonII

odonII O

I believe there is a law preventing the 'promotion' ( "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations") of homosexuality.
    'Hefty fines can now be imposed on those who provide information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors or hold gay pride rallies.'

I don't believe this: 'any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent'

There are quotes, so the context might need to be added. At the moment I have the feeling it is taken out of context.

If you could find some article relating to being fined for being "publicly demonstrative" - it would be helpful.

Who knows, it might be true!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...s-_n_3581217.html?utm_hp_ref=travel&ir=Travel

10. Aerianne

Yeah, and he will also slap your ass in jail for bashing religion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mir-Putin-signs-anti-gay-propaganda-bill.html

That's from The Telegraph. Is that real enough for you?

11. odonII

odonII O

I'm not sure about the 'bashing religion' it seems more like if you go into a church (etc) and have a pee on the altar, or do things like this:

"demonstrating disrespect to society and done with the goal of offending the believers' religious feelings"

[​IMG]

Pussy Riot has been found guilty. But their supporters have not given up.
    Both before and after the verdict was announced in Moscow, thousands took to the streets around the world to show their support for the feminist punk band.
    Here, a member of the Ukrainian protest group FEMEN poses after having cut down a cross in Kiev with a chainsaw.

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/p...darity-with-pussy-riot-fotostrecke-86274.html

It's probably called something else in the UK.

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, gender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police.

https://www.gov.uk/report-hate-crime

12. Aerianne

13. odonII

odonII O

I thought there might be an e.g in the link : /

14. Aerianne

No just reiterating that the law doesn't specify vandalism.

15. odonII

odonII O

OK. Fair enough. I think the law will be pushed to it's limits, and perhaps rightly so.
    But if you read of demonstrations where people burn crosses or have children on top of 'gay pride' floats - that might be a little too far.
    I dunno, it will be interesting to see how this works in practice.

16. Aerianne

LOL

You're talking to the wrong person.

I support Gay Pride. I'm a member of PFLAG and Angel Action Atlanta. I took my 5 year old grandson to the Gay Pride Parade in Atlanta last Fall.

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:2thumbsup:

I say its a good thing our families won't be going to Russia and testing out this new law to see how it plays out! :)

I find my heart going out to those in Russia that are not hetero.

18. odonII

odonII O

Aerianne

Well, I probably should have added: used children in a provocative manner to try and make a point, as in intentionally trying to 'promote' homosexuality to children.
    I'm not really sure of a good e.g, but probably taking a 5 year old to watch the 'gay pride' parade isn't one of them.

19. Aerianne

Odon

[​IMG]

20. odonII

odonII O

Aerianne

Whatsup?
    All I'm saying is any gay pride march in Russia that has children walking along with it will be ok.
    But there are certainly other things people can do with their children to try and push the law to it's limits.
    I'm not sure what is wrong with saying that.