running pains

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sheeprooter, Aug 6, 2005.

1. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

i have been doing these races that increase in distance weekly. last week was 4.8 miles and i gave it all i had, suffering horribly. am i the only one who seems to think that running HURTS A LOT? this week was 5.9, and i considered not going because last week was so hard. i finished with a time of 46:18 which is a respectable 8 minute mile, but after it was over i felt like i had just downed a liter of tequila. i had to fight just to keep from vomiting and didnt ven have the energy to turn in my score til most ppl were gone. i had sprinted the last half mile with all i had, and my heart rate was thru the roof when it was over. i ran a half marathon last year at a 7:45 pace and when it was over i felt fine. couldnt walk for several days, but not ill!

so, how do you runners deal with the pain of running? i dont mean physical, specific pains like a stitch or a sore heel. i mean the overall discomfort that can drive you insane. the huffing and puffing and the feeling that you cant breathe fast enough to keep your machine going. is this supposed to feel good? how do you get past it?

also, i know little of racing tacics. i just kind of get out there and run my hardest. usually i start off too hard and find myself being passed for the bulk of the race, suffering terribly, only to start an aggressive kick for the last half mile that leaves me completely spent and physically ill.

any good magazines out there i should subscribe to? i want to be a better runner. i want to run a 7 minute mile in 5k+ races and mostly i want to ENJOY it, rather than wishing hopelessly to be put out of my misery!

any advice at all, or personal race experience would be cool as all hell

cheers

2. mike

mike Member

your just over doing it. Do things that make you happy and disregard things that don't..
    that is if your in touch with your happyness ...........

3. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

The SEALS take a week off for every two to three weeks they run.

Your body can't take it.

4. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Or you could train... if you are just running once per week trying to beat your time each time, I don't get it. How does that improve anything. It sounds to me like you need a good training program. I don't have one off the top of my head but I can come up with something over the weekend. It does not take much to increase your efficiency/endurance. But like someone else said is this really what you want to do? I don't understand why you are doing it if you don't "get it".

I don't get it either believe me I'm not a runner. I can sprint, but I'm not a distance runner nor do I have any desire to be. I ran a 5k (short race) a few weeks ago for charity and there were some serious people there. I thought they were a little excessive if you ask me, but they were hard core. A couple of them were throwing up as they crossed the finish line.

And Iron is right, you have to take a break from running now and again and cross train. Stronger muscles will make you more efficient as well as running burns a lot of muscle(as well as fat of course).

5. mike

mike Member

why do you need to run?
    stay healthy so you can out run ignorance and pigs.
    that's all running is good for

6. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Ok this is what I came up with. I asked my roommate and his girlfriend (he has a degree in strength and conditioning and she is an avid runner) we all agree on these points.

Eat light high carb foods 2 hours before running, like a bagel. Stay away from high fiber or dairy, as it will upset your stomach. Don’t run on an empty stomach, but don’t run on a full one either. Later on you can worry about carb loading and eating right before a race, but you don't need that yet.

Do a 5 – 10 minute walking/jogging warm up.
    Do a cool down after either, you don't want your heart rate suddenly dropping because you just stop.

Make sure you are strengthening your back abdomen and legs during strength training workouts. You should stretch all of these muscles after your warm up but before your run. Your core is very important in running.

Run on gravel or asphalt they are softer surfaces, also consider going to a trail to do some running, you’d be surprised how nature makes you feel when you are running.

Stay relaxed and positive, but remain focused on proper form (no hunching over, pay attention to breathing) and stay focused on the task at hand don’t let your mind wander off. (beginners can disassosiate, but you have goals that you are trying to reach so you need to stay focused on getting better and faster, not the flowers in the field)

Work on distance first, worry about intensity (speed) later. Trust me it will come. This will help you to run more efficiently which will keep you from starting out fast, bonking and then killing yourself in the end.

Mix in easy days or cross training days. And don’t forget to rest 1 whole day per week, 2 if you need it. Working out more isn’t going to make you better it can most certainly make you worse. Your body needs rest.

Now, here is what I did to increase my endurance and speed and it didn’t take me long at all. I started from a beginner’s level as I have always hated running, now I actually like it (though I'd rather be playing volleyball or lifting).

The Fartlek method: alternate speeds. Start out with your warm up, then after that choose a landmark such as a telephone pole or a tree or what have you and pick up your speed until you get there. Then drop it back a notch to your jogging pace for 1 or 2 minutes (or choose a distance, I go run to a pole, jog for 2 poles, run to a pole, jog for 2 poles, run for 2 poles, jog for 1 pole). Then keep doing that increasing speed intensity and distance. For example the next one you can go all the way up to 5 poles or whatever with your running. Just remember that you are not sprinting (that is a different sport all together btw) so don’t push that hard or you will bonk too soon. This is supposed to be fun, so don’t take it too seriously. If you have a stop- watch then use that. Do your fast run for 30 seconds or a minute, then your jog for 2 minutes. Keep playing around with it. This is going to help you with keeping your pace when you are racing.

Ok this is the intermediate level, so work on this for a couple of weeks and get back to us about your progress and then I can get you some more advanced training info. You might also consider going to your local library and getting a book on it, but be careful some of them are for hard-core racers and you might not be to that elite level yet (or ever if you simply don’t want to be). Or go on www.half.com and buy a book. Just type in running and a bunch of books will come up. Then what I usually do is find a book I’m interested in and google it to get more info from it. Just make sure you buy books written within the last about 7-10 years because things change, and running in the 70’s isn’t the same as today. Good luck! And take care of yourself.

Jen

7. Archemini

Archemini Member

I ran both Cross country and track in highschool and have been running since. You can't just keep going from race to race running as hard as possible and breaking down your body. If you are on the verge of passing out or vomiting you've worked your body too hard. Sprinting a half mile doesnt help matters. I wasn't a good distance runner but when I ran I gave it my all. When I had similar problems as you after I would do sprint events..which i was good in..i would take a few days off to let my body recoup itself.

Cute gave you a good program to follow. Just run shorter practice runs every day to keep yourself in shape, gradually building up the mileage. And prior to a race you have to warm up for at least 15 minutes before racing otherwise you'll only be in pain later.

8. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

hard surfaces can cause lower leg pain (shin splints)
    sometimes the way a person runs can cause leg pain
    I am an avid runner and my legs ache sometimes as
    well...one thing that most miss in my opinion is properly
    fitted shoes....that sounds silly by each person has
    a different arch different shoes can make a big difference