Rune casting

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by FireflyInTheDark, Apr 28, 2012.

1. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

So I've been into this on and off since high school. I had a book on it once (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Runes-Divination-Llewellyns/dp/0875425933/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335643491&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: A Practical Guide to the Runes: Their Uses in Divination and Magic (Llewellyn's New Age) (9780875425931): Lisa Peschel: Books), but I moved and now I can't find it. I made a really rough set out of cut up paper a looooong time ago, and I used to do it using this book as a guide. Now that I've been out of it for a while, I was in a little witch shop the other day and found a set of wooden runes and I just had to have them. Now I'm trying to relearn it all using the internet and it's just... not good...
    I found an app for my ipod and was all excited to get started, but it's telling me stuff that seems mixed up compared to what I've learned that they mean, not to mention it doesn't have anything about the meanings of reversed runes. I've searched a bit and come up with all sorts of conflicting information. For instance, I always wanted to get a tattoo of the rune Thurisaz or Thorn, which I thought symbolized chaos and change, and it would be my way of trying to embrace it rather than fear it . Now I'm reading that Uruz is the rune associated with chaos... AND strength?
    I also read that Ansuz is Loki's rune, but elsewhere I am reading that it is Odin's?
    I'm so confused. I guess they're so old there's bound to be some confusion as to the meanings, and I suppose I should just pick a resource and not look back... I kind of like this website that I just found:
    http://www.runemaker.com/futhark/thurisaz.shtml
    But I'm just so afraid I'm going to choose the wrong resource, try to do a reading or someone is going to see my tattoo and someone is going to laugh in my face and be like "THAT'S not what Thurisaz means!" :(

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I have a Lisa Peschel book as a companion guide, it may be the same book. I can check if you want. I normally use Kennith Meadows book as it speaks to me stronger than most of the other works by other authors.

4. FireflyInTheDark

Holy cow, you're not kidding. *_*

I think the Lisa Peschel one is the same, but the Meadows one is new to me. Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Power-Kenneth-Meadows/dp/0712610405"]Amazon.com: Rune Power (9780712610407): Kenneth Meadows: Books

Or this one? http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Power-Secret-Knowledge-Earth/dp/1852307064"]Amazon.com: Rune Power: The Secret Knowledge of the Wise Ones (Earth Quest) (9781852307066): Kenneth Meadows: Books

Someone in the reviews for that one suggested this one as a little more historical: http://www.amazon.com/Runelore-A-Handbook-Esoteric-Runology/dp/0877286671"]Amazon.com: Runelore: A Handbook of Esoteric Runology (9780877286677): Edred Thorsson: Books

Guess I've got some studying to do. Thanks guys. :)

5. Tyrsonswood

Thorsson lost me after three or four books... He went off on a tangent that didn't vibe with me. But maybe that's just me.

The Lisa Peschel book I have is indeed "A Practical Guide..." Let me know if you need an excerpt, and I can post it up or PM it to you. The Kenneth Meadows book is "Rune Power: The Secret Knowledge of the Wise Ones". Great book... Out of 30+ books I've read and I don't know how many authors, most of which I still own, the Meadows book is "the book" for me...

Good enough to do this to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the type of artworks I used to sell at Renne Faire back in the late 90's. (they weren't cheap... ) I covered these with Wood and Leather and did the re-binding. (The small book is covered with pig skin only, no wood, it's still a softcover so it can be carried in a pocket if need be.) I also did blank books, 3 ring binders/photo albums, and recovered existing books... This set was done for myself. I also made various other wood and leather items, magical tools and wooden weaponry.

Thought you would get a kick out of seeing them...

6. Aerianne

Wow. I have never seen work anything like that. It is incredible.

7. Tyrsonswood

To my knowledge nobody has ever done any work like this... I completely formed this idea out of my head. (along with a little stepping sideways in time ;) )

Thank you, Glad you like them...

8. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Tyrsonswood. I love your books! Awesome!

9. Tyrsonswood

Thanks... I miss making them, I was really in "the zone" at that point in my life.

10. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

Stunning! good post firefly :2thumbsup:

11. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Very interesting, I did some reading, but im still not exactly sure what you can do with these runes . What is rune casting? It's a very cool alphabet and language but what else is to it?

12. Tyrsonswood

Divination..... remotely similar to tarot cards, but not really. Closer to the lost art of "Casting the Bones"... It is thought that the bones used may have had runes carved on them in later years.

13. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

ahhh ok I've heard of casting of the bones. I thought runes resembled tarot in a way, but didn't understand. So each letter represents something? How does it work?

14. Tyrsonswood

Each rune can represent several things and are influenced by the runes around it in a cast. Also the cast takes into account whether the rune is reversed or upside down... In other words, it can get complicated. :p

15. Aerianne

Sticks can be cast, as can stones.

However, one should never cast both sticks and stones because that can break bones. :p

16. Skooky

Skooky Member

WOW !! those are stunningly beautiful. !!

17. Tyrsonswood

That's starting to sound like paper/rock/scissors

Thanks man...

18. Skooky

Skooky Member

Inspires me for real.

thinking I have a couple extra nice wood cigar boxes that could use some embellishments to keep my set of runes in. I made my set of runes out of some old deer rib bone that I found. I was inspired by a poem I had found.

Woodland dreams of intuition come with the graceful deer.
    I greet you, brothers of the forest.
    Your gift of magic will brighten my life.
    Transformation will come to me.
    Like you, I stand listening to the drum beat of life,
    Poised to follow my guiding spirits.

19. Aerianne

Be sure to let us see them when you're finished.

20. FireflyInTheDark

Dude... that's just... you are an artist. *_*
    Very cool. Would have gotten in line for those fer sher, lol.

Oh dear... I thought reversed just meant it fell face-down. I didn't know they meant something different if they were upside-down, too.
    *studies harder*
    Oswald's website just went down today. I hope it comes back up, soon. T_T
    I know I have that book somewhere, though. It's just a matter of where it got put. Either it's in a box in the basement here, or it's on a box in my old room in NY. I'll probably find it when we move again, and I can finally have all my stuff in my new apartment this summer.

That is extremely cool...