router question

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Fractual_, May 26, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

ok i have a wireless 6 broadband router... a computer downstairs and upstairs, a cable connection on the one downstairs...

the cable people are comin tommorow but i was wonderin if i could possibly set it up today...... my moms friend couldnt get it to work today.

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

I used to have a wireless router with one computer in the basement and two on the second floor, so I might be able to help. What exactly are you having trouble with?

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

well, i havent tried anything or even really looked at it, to be honest.

i was just wondering if there was anyway to get cable upstairs if i had the router and all that, and how i would go about doing that.

4. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You should be able to make your computers talk to the router itself even if they can't get on the internet yet. Depending on your area a cable line filter may be needed. As for your pc configuration you should be able to just change their default gateways to the address of the router.

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

im not very computer literate...

some step by step instructions would be cool.

6. Maverick

Maverick Banned

I'm lost when it compes to wireless stuff. Just about anything else though, I know.

7. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

http://compnetworking.about.com

Plenty of resource on setting up a network, all you need to do really is make sure the cumputers are in range then cahnge your TCP/IP details (see above link for instruction)