Rosemary bread

Discussion in '100% Vegan' started by addictedt0chaos, Jan 22, 2009.

1. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I can't bake very well but this turned out amazing!!

Olive Rosemary Flatbread

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon active dry yeast or 1/4 ounce / 8 grams package yeast
    * 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    * 7 tablespoons olive oil
    * 3 cups bread flour, plus extra for kneading
    * 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    * 2 teaspoons coarse salt
    * 2 large cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/4 cup finely chopped kalamata olives ( if you dont like olives you can use sun dried tomatoes)
    * 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

METHOD
    In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water and stir with fork to dissolve. Let stand 5 min. Whisk in 4 tablespoons olive oil.

In separate bowl, mix bread flour, whole wheat flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Add flour, one cup at a time, to yeast mixture, stirring well after each addition. When dough begins to come away from sides of bowl, turn out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead in garlic, olives and 1/2 teaspoon rosemary. Continue kneading, adding more flour as nec, until dough is shiny, elastic and no longer sticky, about 10 min.

Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside until dough triples in volume, about 2 hrs.

Punch down dough and place in a greased 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 centimeter) baking sheet. Press and pat dough until it covers entire surface of pan. Cover with a towel and let rise until dough reaches top edge of sheet, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F/205C. Just before baking, dimple dough with fingertips and drizzle surface with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Place on middle oven rack. Put an empty baking dish on lower rack. Quickly pour 1 cup boiling water into empty dish and close door. Bake until bread is well risen and golden 20 - 25 min. Remove bread from pan to wire rack. Brush surface with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cut into squares and serve warm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to play around with the flour mixture, i found it had to much liquid so i added more flour as needed. I also used dried rosemary, and A LOT of it through out. I didn't pay much attention to what the recipe called for in the case. I LOVE rosemary, i'm sure fresh would have been even more delicious!