Room in Parents House In Desperate Need

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by miko_mikasa, Oct 19, 2007.

1. miko_mikasa

miko_mikasa Member

I am seventeen years old and still living at home. I am absolutely SICK of looking at plain white walls with interior-decorator-designed funiture. I don't think my parents are going to let me paint the room, but I have two closet doors they MAY let me paint. Also none of the furniture can go (it was expensive). Any ideas on how to make it more welcoming and a bit more funky looking? Thanks!

2. olwyn

olwyn Member

stapling fabric to your walls or ceiling can be a good way to add color (you can even use double-sided tape if the fabric isn't heavy). what does your furniture look like?

3. miko_mikasa

miko_mikasa Member

The furniture is dark colored (a dark mahogany) with black fixtures.

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

plants with height (ie plants that climb up or drape down) add both colour and a bit of depth to a room, so that's one idea. Candle displays (3 or 4 candles of different heights + shells or stones) will add colour. Look at maybe getting a few funky lights and add a few pictures, picture frames, framed postcards, etc to add to the room too.

5. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

Yeah, hang fabric, get some plants ... also hang stuff from the cieling if you can. Lanterns, more fabric, anything crazy. All you need in that room is texture.

6. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

i got 4 huge picture frames(?) they are about 1x2ft big, and make a collage of groovy pictures inside it instead of trying to blow up one huge picture. then put them ina cool design on the wall. The frames are nice and simple, but the pictures are personal and unique.
    Also try to get some groovy pillows or throw cushions to put on your bed and chairs. mybe get a few of those big cushions to sit on when you're on the floor.

7. eponabri

eponabri Member

Get large stretcher frames and stretch color fabric and staple it on. Use this to make panels on your walls... they can be hung using just push pins. Get fabric remnants and sew them together for a bedspread. Get picture frames from a garage sale and spray paint them all black and use those to frame your favorite photos. If you can do crafts, make pillows, crochet afghans, make macrame plant holders and hang three plants in your window.

8. obnoxiously

obnoxiously Member

If you're trying to get away from the interior design vibe just go to the thrift store and buy a bunch of knicknacks, put posters on the walls, just kind of fill it up with junk. Don't go overboard though because knicknacks can be a bitch to get rid of.
    My room'd be boring as hell but i've got crap all over the place so it looks cool. :) And I have made no concious effort to decorate!

9. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

i love dark furniture

10. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Paint murals on old bed sheets and hang them up, and try putting a bead curtain along a wall for texture...

11. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

Add some posters, get a trippy comforter cover. Cover your white furniture with fabric, get a rug. These are all things I plan on doing since I have to live at home for the time being.

12. animalsASleaders

animalsASleaders Member

do what I did. go to walmart, get a white twin size bed sheet, tiedye it and hang it across your ceiling. i love waking up anbd looking at tiedye

13. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

and don't forget to take before and after pictures :p

14. Jolie Dawson

Jolie Dawson Member

Paint the closet doors in a swirly rainbow, and habg posters on the walls. :) :) :) <3

15. BlackCullen

BlackCullen Member

I know this company who does well with home decor. Maybe you should try giving them a call?