robitussin for babies?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by HappyJoy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

my 7 month old has had a cough for the past few weeks, and i called her doctor and told the nurse about it. she asked me if she gags when she coughs, and i said no, but i can hear the flegm(?) in there when she breathes. she told me to give her 1 tsp. of robitussin dm every 8 hours. does this sound right to you? i thought robitussin was for adults. i dont even like to give her baby tylenol. does anyone recommend anything else? i have a humidifier and i turn it on when she goes to bed, but it doesnt seem to work.

2. lemon714

lemon714 Member

see posts on dxm.... j/k. nothing wrong with small dose of robo. it'll clear her up (expectorant) and help her sleep.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

A teaspoon may be too much for an infant. There are also about 10 different varieties of Robo, with different ingredients in each one. Talk to the nurse, and see which one she meant, and make sure she is SURE about the dosage.

Most meds for babies are given in milligrams, as they come in little bottles with droppers. Please talk to the doctor herself, if the nurse can't be more detailed in her prescription.

4. your doctor told you what to do right??I think they know better than us.

5. sometimes, sometimes NOT. my mom was told to give me a hard boiled egg & orange juice every day while i was an infant, now both are major no-no's. i did manage to survive though, and i'm sure your baby will survive small amounts of robitussin. but like maggie said, check which one and how much. and if the flemmy sound doesn't go away make an appointment - my friend lost her daughter to pneumonia, after taking her to see the doctor three times and each time the all-knowing doctor told her nothing was wrong. i do NOT want to scare you! just be alert, ok?

6. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I would check with the pharmicist. They know much more than the doctors do. When I was pregnant with one of my children, the doctor perscribed something that was known to cause miscarriage. The nurse questioned him about it and he told her to call the pharmacy to check it out.

I give my son pediacare when he has a cold, but he's 2 1/2 now. I would certainly question Robitussin. That's pretty strong stuff.

Kathi

7. Maggie Sugar

They make a Robo with nothing but a little dextomethorephan and some sudafed in it, that is usually the one they give to babies. In prescribed amounts, dextro is usually safe (we aren't taking about the Robo with codiene in it, or using huge amounts of dextro) but some people are not comfortable using sudafed in babies. But still, Robotussin has so many formulations, we are not even sure which one you have at home. I have the Cold and Cough forumlation for children (not babies) and Sage, who is five and weighs more than 40 lbs takes a teaspoon of it.

Talking directly to the doctor herself, and the pharmacist is the best idea.

8. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I used this vapor cream...I think it was johnsons brand vapor rub. I would put a tiny bit under his nose and chest as he slept. or make some strong mint tea and hold it under his nose as he slept. Or even let him drink some. I gave him the baby rob. Sometimes. He hated it...but it did help. Orange juice...water.

9. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i did take her to the doctor's. he said he didnt think she needed the robitussin, which was ok with me. i bought some baby bath with menthol and eucalyptus or something, i put it in her bath before she went to bed and then turned on the humidifier, she's pretty much over the cough now, probably just a change in the weather. thank you for all your input, though.

10. Maggie Sugar

I am glad she is feeling better. Sage is sick with the influenza her sister's and brother had last week. I gave her some Triaminic for colds and two different homeopathic medicines. (Chamomilla and Arsenica, as they matched her symptoms.) She is sound asleep now, so I think she is getting better too. Poor baby had an ear ache. I think it is only her second ear ache in 5 years.

I am glad your baby is feeling better. Keep her warm (but not sweaty) and well hydrated. I have found that keeping children in a quiet enviroment, and NOT getting right back into the swing of things for a few days after they have been sick results in less relapse and healthier children. Just hold her and nurse her (or feed her whatever she gets) and listen to her. Keep her close to you until she is all better.

Blessings,

Maggie