Roadkill

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bilby, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

In Australia it is normal to find a dead kangaroo at the side of the road, especially lesser used roads and council roads. What dead animal would you typically find at the side of the road in north America?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Deer, raccoon, skunk, cats, dogs, birds... Squirrel are usually still in the road.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Germany's Roadkill Epidemic

A car smashes into a wild animal on a German road over one million times a year. Collisions with foxes, badgers and rabbits rarely cause significant harm, at least to drivers and passengers. But collisions with deer and wild boar or, as was the case on Berlin's Ring Road last September, with a stately elk, can kill drivers.

There were approximately 200,000 accidents involving collisions with wild animals in 2012. They claimed 20 lives, seriously injured 615 people and caused about half a billion euros in insurance losses. According to horrific statistics compiled by hunters, about 20 percent of the wildlife killed throughout Germany each year is so-called roadkill, dispatched by the radiator of a speeding car instead of a hunter's gun.

In some regions, such as the heavily forested Waldeck-Frankenberg administrative district in the western state of Hesse, surprise encounters between wildlife and vehicles already account for a third of all traffic accidents. When an animal steps onto the roadway in the dark, drivers often have little time to apply the brakes. "It stood there as if it had just been beamed down," recalls Werner Hankel, a businessman who killed a deer with his Audi one night on the B 252, a federal road between the towns of Twiste and Berndorf. The accident caused €5,000 ($6,500) in damage to his car.

Although some animals initially survive a crash, they often sustain serious injuries. When it happens at night in his district, forest ranger Gerhard Thomas receives a call from the police. Then Thomas, a hunter from Kleve in the Lower Rhine region, hitches a trailer to his car and drives to the accident site. "The worst thing is the curious onlookers," says Thomas, "the 'friends of Bambi' who want to take a deer with an open fracture to the vet." Forest rangers and tenant hunters -- hunters who have had a hunting license for at least three years -- are required to shoot seriously injured wildlife.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

north ontario here

in the last week ive seen lots of skunk,rabbits ,a beaver and squirrels

its not all that uncommon to see bear,deer,moose,turkey vultures,muskrat,porcupine etc....just about anything in the bush will be seen as roadkill at some point

the government recently built some underpasses and overpasses just for wildlife...using the terrain and fences to funnel them into a safe crossing area on a highway that was very dangerous to cross

this is an old story from when it was built...it has been a great success

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ontario-builds-first-bridge-for-animals-near-sudbury-1.1148087

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I have to carry a separate "animal hit" insurance policy because of where I live if I want repairs due to a deer vs. car accident.

6. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

Rabbits, squirrels, birds, cats, deer, rats, raccoons, porcupine.

7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

One fall several years ago a guy I knew hit a deer while driving. Instead of leaving it he came, picked me up, & had me help him shove the deer into his trunk to take it to his house. Once there we offloaded it into his garage where he proceeded to gut & skin it. Pretty sure he ate it later