Rising Star Jon Ossoff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moonglow181, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

It might also tell us that the $50 million or so the Dems dumped into that election bought them some, but not enough. But, then again, they're always throwing money at problems and getting spotty results...

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In comparison with the Koch Brothers and the Mercers, the Dems are pikers at the game of buying elections! If Hilllary had won, we'd have a Supreme Court friendly to reigning in Citizens United.

3. Noserider

Oh, everyone buys elections, sure...but to throw that much money at it and still come up short suggests that the Republicans are firmly entrenched. It is Georgia after all.

4. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

What are you saying with this? I ask because it seems bigoted.

5. Noserider

Georgia is traditionally a red state. It's not really bigoted to not be surprised that a Republican won there.

6. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

It's a broad assumption though. The democrats made this race very close by Georgia standards. None of us can afford to blindly assume states and districts will keep acting like they have in the past. During the first election Ossoff might have won if the democrats had seen him as viable, but they held back and he still made an admirable showing against a fractured republican base.

Then they poured money into a runoff election, a fool's errand at best.

On the issue of bigotry, I am not innocent. We moved here in the late 90s fully expecting to see weekly cross burnings, cops beating black people in the streets, non-stop banjo music and klansmen directing traffic. None of that came to pass and I am left realizing how "Peer-bigotry" can rub off on people. So I was merely curious to know your take on all of this.

I thank you for responding like a sane, civilized person instead of the usual sort of wagon circling we so often see in forums.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Voter ID laws aren't suppression. If ThinkProgress really believes that students and people of color are too dumb and inept to acquire a state-issue ID, that reveals the true nature of their racist ways.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

She encouraged voters to challenge one another’s qualifications to vote, an intimidation tactic often employed by Republicans. She tried to purge thousands of new citizens from the voter rolls. And she didn’t just go after voters, she went after ballot access for Democrats: She spearheaded an illegal purge of Georgia's voting rolls. And she even tried to prevent Democratic candidates from appearing on the state's ballots. The good news for voters targeted by this purge is that a panel of three Republican-appointed federal judges ordered Handel to allow purged voters to cast ballots and to ‘reasonably ensure that no voter is permanently deleted from the voter registration list’ based on the purge. But we can never know how many of the thousands of voters who received ominous letters falsely challenging their right to vote were deterred from voting that year, Speaking of racist ways, I think hers obviously qualify.

9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

So are democrats a race now? Seriously, how is this a "racist" issue? BOTH sides play the game from every angle INCLUDING disenfranchisement. Admit it, isn't cheating republicans out of their votes just as cool as cheating democrats is inversely evil? Where is race in this equation?

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It's a racist issue because African-Americans and Hispanics were carefully targeted, on the assumption they would vote for Democrats.

11. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

An assumption that has proven out over and over, especially when Obama ran. And yet, the ghettos and weirdly gerrymandered districts are owned/operated largely by democrats. Both parties play dirty pool with Americans, so "liking" either one is a fool's errand. We Americans need to be calling BOTH parties into question as opposed to this back and forth nonsense they have had us mired in for so long.

While I do see the voting game as a race issue, and targeted accordingly, I think labeling it as "racist" only muddies the waters and steers the discussion away from a more productive path. Perhaps living in the shadow of Atlanta has my opinion skewed a bit, but voting by race is something ALL races do around here in one form or another. But I'd wager far more white voters cast for black candidates than black voters cast for white candidates.

It's too easy to fall into the race trap and the political class knows this. They use it. And we are the ones being used.

12. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

^^^
    Interesting. I was under the assumption that the DNC simply surrendered most of the South to the RNC. The same way the RNC surrendered the entire west coast to the DNC a few years ago. Schwarznegger was really their last hurrah on the west coast.

I suppose voting climates do in fact changeperiodically. But this whole Red State/Blue State bullshit has polarized certain areas of the country to be permanent fixes where only certain political brands will rule forever. The only reason they invented the phrase was to encourage partisan voters to relocate to certain states. They do this in order to have a better control on the outcome of elections.